Cemetary Caches

medoug

I'm sure there is some info on this topic, but the "Search" function is still broken.

I normally avoid placing caches in cemetaries, but there is an unusual grave marker in a public cemetary that I want to share with fellow cachers. Out of respect for the deceased, I plan on making it an offset cache where the year of birth and death on the stone are used to determine the coordinates for the final cache container hidden elsewhere on the cemetary grounds.

My brother once placed a cemetary cache that almost didn't get approved because he failed to contact the grounds keeper or cemetary board. Determining who the governing bodies are and arranging a meeting with them to ask permission for the cache placement in this rural cemetary may prove difficult. In my eyes, I would view a public cemetary as being similar to a public park which typically only require permissions when a specific policy regarding geocaching is in place.

Does anyone know the official stance on this? Any personal opinions?

Thanks,

medoug.

WHy must the cache itself be on cemetary property. I have a multi the cover two cemetaries that requires information from the head stones to locate the cache whick is down the road off of the cemetary property. Being it is a rural area there must be a place off of cemetary property that will support a cache placement.

It is surrounded by private properties. I really rather not ask someone if I can place a container in their frontyard flowerbed, or in a nearby farmer's field/ditch where cachers might damage his barb-wire fence getting to it. I'd also like the cacher to not have to get in their car and travel to a totally unrelated public area to find the final container. Plus, there are several hollow trees and other good hiding spots for the container in this scenic cemetary.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

The guidelines we try to impress on folks in Indiana are pretty basic.

- NOTHING on any stones, monuments or memorials - never, no way

- Try to place the cache in the peripheral area of the cemetery such as near the fence line or the brush on the edges.

- Make every attempt to discourage night caching.

Many old cemeteries are held in the public trust but many newer ones are private property. Keep that in mind when placing caches.

Offset and puzzle caches involving the information on markers and memorials are always fun. And the placement of the final prize can be anywhere.

HAve fun. Check out the Indiana Spirit Quest caches for some suggestions.

If you do place within the cemetery boundaries make the cache find an easy one, or provide a spoiler hint. There is a series near me where all the finals are micros in the parking areas, super easy finds once the coords are generated from the markers. These draw a minimum of attention to cachers. Wandering off into wooded areas around the perimeter of the cemetery is NOT inconspicuous - returning to the parking is.

Better yet, get permission. Determining property ownership is usually straightforward at the county tax office. If you're really lucky the info is online.

Edited by Isonzo Karst