Where Can I Get Lock N' Locks?

dougsmiley

Whats the best place to buy Lock N' Locks? I'm looking to adopt a cache and I need a container to replace it with. Ammo Can will be a future container, but there isn't an army surplus store close to here and I need a quick fix for a cache in terrible shape. Full logbook, wet logbook, wet contents, mostly crappy old trade items, etc.

I got a lock and Lock at walmart and that is what I am using for a container because I have adopted a cache. They are nice when you find them. In the cold you are not struggling with me them to get the top back on. From what I read on the instructions they can take cold and heat. So I am trying it. I knkow they are easy to open and close on the trail. I got my at Walmart for 2.79. I think it was on sale but I could be wrong

Just bought one at walmart for around $3. Got some little spiral notebooks for 25 cents. I'm ready to adopt the cache now. Pretty cheap to save a cache. Allready had enough stuff for trade items laying around. Plus what's salvageable from the old one that has become a fishtank. Had some camo tape from my go cart racing days.

one advantage of the lock-n-lock's over even ammocans: in some states (I think Illinois might be one?), there is a move toward requiring see-through containers for geocaches. the lock-n-lock is almost as good as an ammocan, about the same price as the ammo can, and meets the see-through criteria. it is FAR better than most gladware. (you don't have to worry about "is it *really* closed" or any of that. it seals tight, and is sturdy.) but, if there is an increase in requirements for see-through caches, then with these, you'll already be ready.

wait - didn't mean to start a panic. :rolleyes: not a change for all caches. (especially not micros -- it's more a "hey, why you putting that big bomb-looking thing down there...")

just a note that if you are in an area where they prefer the see-through option for larger caches, the lock-n-lock is almost equal to the ammo can, and is see through, so a great choice.

The packaging with Loc-n-locs says that it is guaranteed forever when it is not used for industrial use. I wonder if they honor their guarantee if it was used as a cache container. What if it is covered in camo tape and has GEOCACHING.COM written with marker on the lid? Has anyone had one of these wear out as a cache container and try to get a replacement under the guarantee?

medoug.

I picked up 3 different size ones yesterday at Wal-mart. Yupe, made in China but with the nice seal all the way around, and locks on all 4 sides, they look good to go to me.... At least if it gets muggled your not out much. I printed out the geocache letters today and taped them inside the lid with clear shipping tape.

Just need to get a sticker for the Official Geocache and out they go. Found 3 small state parks, they are seldom used for anything but trout fishing with good parking and some bushwacking hiking. I would think more fun with no path going to them.

Time will tell.....

SwampYankee

just a note that if you are in an area where they prefer the see-through option for larger caches, the lock-n-lock is almost equal to the ammo can, and is see through, so a great choice.

Almost as good as an Ammo Can? I certainly doubt that- I've seen what happens to most plastics after exposure to the Suns UV, ozone, and other nasties. In a hot dry climate I could see an Ammo Can lasting 30+ years- possibly a lot longer. No tupperware plastic could ever come close to lasting that long! They also seem pretty expensive when You can get an ammo can for the price of three of them. I like the "First Aid" boxes from CheaperThanDirt.com

Almost as good as an Ammo Can? I certainly doubt that- I've seen what happens to most plastics after exposure to the Suns UV, ozone, and other nasties. In a hot dry climate I could see an Ammo Can lasting 30+ years- possibly a lot longer. No tupperware plastic could ever come close to lasting that long! They also seem pretty expensive when You can get an ammo can for the price of three of them. I like the "First Aid" boxes from CheaperThanDirt.com

I have bought a lot of Loc N Loc's at Meijer Stores ....

some for as little as 99 cents .. for the smallest of them of course they do make great "small" caches !

Star

The packaging with Loc-n-locs says that it is guaranteed forever when it is not used for industrial use. I wonder if they honor their guarantee if it was used as a cache container. What if it is covered in camo tape and has GEOCACHING.COM written with marker on the lid? Has anyone had one of these wear out as a cache container and try to get a replacement under the guarantee?

medoug.

Since no one posted the answer to my previous question on the Lock & Lock guarantee, I looked at the literature included with one at the store and answered my own question. Here's the answer for anyone else wanting to know:

Lock & Locks are cache containers for LIFE. If one becomes damaged, you cut out the part number molded in the bottom of the container (it definately becomes unusable then), and mail it in an envelope to the company. (You could camo/paint/marker the container all you want. As long as you leave that little part number area alone, no one would ever know that it was hidden in the woods.) They will either send you a monetary refund or a coupon to purchase a new container in a store. Other than your effort, it'll only cost you a 39 cent stamp to be back in business. (Of course, loss or theft of your Lock & Lock container is not covered since you couldn't send them the plastic part number.)

I think I might have found my new container of choice.

medoug.

Since I'm from Illinois, I'm familiar with the cache placing rules. Just some clarification on some things mentioned earlier.....

one advantage of the lock-n-lock's over even ammocans: in some states (I think Illinois might be one?), there is a move toward requiring see-through containers for geocaches.

Only caches placed in Illinois state parks and a few county's parks (where they have a cache policy) have these restrictions. In most places an opaque container is fine in Illinois.

Laws like that won't ever even make it to the senate/house around here. Laws effect a percentage of the population congresspeople don't care about. Get 5% of the population geocaching - they'll be interested. For now, they're not.

It is a rule, not a law so it doesn't have to go through a state's congress. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources set up the state park cache rules and individual county park boards set up the county park cache rules. You can break the rules, but don't be surprised if the cache gets confiscated. I don't know, but you might get fined too if they manage to track you down.

medoug.

In my area (the northwest) Walmart, Target and some of the local grocery stores carry Lock&Locks. I think they are almost as good as ammo cans and come in a variety of shapes and sizes that work where an ammo can wouldn't.

What type of spray paint do you use :mad::mad:

On this Lock&Lock, I sanded the container and then painted with Krylon fusion. Sanded lightly again and painted with Krylon camo colors. It's held up well. My original attempt using just the camo paint and not sanding peeled almost immediately.

camocache3kw.jpg

How about making a cache out of 2inch pvc, with a screw cap.

They leak, everytime I find one the contents are wet.

I have found 4 with all in great dry shape they work better than ammo cans I find to many cans that dont get the lid back on right or all the way