How Do You Mark A Cache "found" In 60csx?

LaneO

In the Garmin 60CSx "Geocaching configuration" you can select an option to have a date stamp added to found caches. How do you mark a cache waypoint as being found?

You do this by clicking on the waypoint treasure chest icon on the waypoint page, then the "found " cache icon is to the right of the closed treasure chest. Select the closed treasure chest and it is now a found cache.

From the Geocaching Section of the FAQ:

Geocaching mode is really just a special way of sorting and keeping track of waypoints. If you load a waypoint with a Geocaching symbol (by default, a closed treasure chest), then that waypoint will appear when you press FIND » 'Geocache' » ENTR. Pressing these keys lists geocache waypoints you have loaded. (By pressing MENU, you can select 'Find by Name' to show all Geocaches in alphabetical order, or 'Find Nearest' to show the nearest 50 Geocaches.) If you select a geocache, and then press 'Goto', the compass page appears, with a special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop'. You can proceed to the cache, and when found, press the 'Found' button. The GPSr will note your find on the GPS calendar, change the symbol to 'found Geocache' (by default, an open treasure chest) and ask if you would like to find the next nearest cache. Pressing the 'Note' button displays the note entered for the waypoint at the top of the screen. The key then changes to 'Data'. Pressing 'Data' restores the compass screen.

Thanks for the feedback on marking caches "found". I do think the new 60CSx may be slightly different as the compass page does not have the special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop'. The only way I can see to mark a cache found is to change the icon by scrolling to the "closed" chest icon and then hitting enter which takes you to the icon selection page, scrolling to the "open" chest and then selecting "enter".

Could it be the firmware is that much different from the non-x models? Could someone else try their new Cx and verify what I am seeing? Maybe I have changed a config setting or may just be overlooking something.

Edited by LaneO

X series is identical to C series in this (and most other) regards.

If you do a 'find geocache' and have selected an icon for geocaching mode so your compass screen says "geocache navigation" when you flip to it, you will see the found/note/stop options at the bottom.

I just verified it. Double check that youi're following Sputnik57's guide.

Interesting. Have you gone into the geocaching setup page and set the geocaching symbol to something other than a closed treasure chest? You may want to double check the setting and try again.

Symbols have not been changed. Does the compass have to be turned "on" to enter the geocaching navigation mode? Mine is currently "off".

X series is identical to C series in this (and most other) regards.

If you do a 'find geocache' and have selected an icon for geocaching mode so your compass screen says "geocache navigation" when you flip to it, you will see the found/note/stop options at the bottom.

I just verified it.  Double check that youi're following Sputnik57's guide.

Could the map being used cause the "found/note/stop options at the bottom" of the compass navigation screen to not be available? I have only tried with CS7.

Edited by LaneO
Nope. No need to turn on the compass. Curiouser and curiouser!

Edit: Make sure that you don't have the unit set to "lock on road". That may be the problem.

That may be it! The unit is in "highway lock" mode. Unfortunately I'm at work now without the unit. Will try this afternoon...

I had set mine(60csx) to follow the road. I would then get a error message when trying to go to a geocache. When I reset it back to OFFROAD and go to a geocache it automaticly goes to the compass page where it will have FOUND-NOTE-STOP on the bottom. AWESOME LITTLE UNIT!

Please report back.  I need to update the FAQ.  When I do, I'll add to the Geocaching section a reminder that the unit has to be in "off road" mode, or set to "prompted" so that you can select "off road" to cache.

"Off road" routing is the fix. The special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop' all appeared as soon as the unit was switched from "Follow road" to " Off road". I had CS7 selected as the active map on my 60CSx for this experiment.

Thanks everyone for helping solve this question. ;)