Problems With Installing Software Onto Ppc

NWMOhunter

I have tried installing GPXSonar and BeeLineGPS on my Pocket Pc today and I get an error message both times. This is a new phone that I got that is running WM 5.0 and when I try installing the programs it gives me a message saying that the installation file is not intended for this device. They are both .CAB files.

Any idea on what is going on?

Try the exe downloads and see if they will install.

You might also check to make sure those programs will run on WM 5, some won't I understand.

I upgraded my iPAQ 2755 to WM 5, and went back to the old operating system as a lot of things quit working.

I assume the issue is with WM5. Not a lot of WM5-compatible programs out there yet. I've got an HP Ipaq hx4700 with 2003SE... a WM5 upgrade is due out in the next few weeks, but I for one will stay at 2003SE untiil all of these WM5 bugs are worked out, and more WM5 compatible software is released.

I know that WM5 is supposed to be cross-platform compatible between PPC SmartPhones, PPC Phone Editions, and PPCs, but if you have a PPC SmartPhone you may need to get a SmartPhone-specific version of the software. I seem to remember that the OS's are similar to ease porting of apps between the SMartPhone editions and the Pocket PCs, but not 100% compatible without proper porting).

FWIW I also have an Imate Jam PPC PhoneEdition (2003SE) and it is fully compatible with all PPC apps. I also have a QTEK SPVx (Tanager) MS SmartPhone and it requires SmartPhone-specific apps.

Check out www.modaco.com and www.brighthand.com for more help

If you have an Axim checkout www.aximsite.com

(note: I'm a moderator (unpaid) at Brighthand)

Edited by jiminpotomac
I know that WM5 is supposed to be cross-platform compatible between PPC SmartPhones, PPC Phone Editions, and PPCs, but if you have a PPC SmartPhone you may need to get a SmartPhone-specific version of the software. I seem to remember that the OS's are similar to ease porting of apps between the SMartPhone editions and the Pocket PCs, but not 100% compatible without proper porting).

Agreed... it would be an immense help to know what the phone was. I've seen some that are truly running the Windows Mobile Smartphone edition (no touchscreen, no real command bar, just labels for phone buttons at the bottom), and some running the Pocket PC version.

I can only see two ways that GPXSonar couldn't be installed on the phone:

- The phone was running the Smartphone edition of WM5

- Fabien has a version limitation in the CAB file that doesn't include 5.0

Depending on what the app is and what it does, chances are it should be supported as a legacy app on WM5 Pocket PC if it was developed for something as old as PPC 2002 (or maybe even 2000). That's what I'm going with when it comes to CacheMate, until someone with a WM5 device can let me know to the contrary (I don't have such a device, nor have I dropped the cash yet for Visual Studio 2005 to get an emulator).

Edited by Maeglin

Guys,

Here's a useful link which should help answer some of the questions regarding installations on WM 2005.

For my part, I have not placed any restrictions in the .cab file of GpxSonar which could prevent installations on WM 2005. I'll test this on a real device (as opposed to the WM 2005 emulators) shortly and will post my findings here.

Regards,

-Fabien.

I'm pretty sure it was the Smartphone edition of WM 5.0. Of course, I have no clue what I need to do or what. All I know is that I tried loading the programs onto the phone and the phone told me that the .CAB files were not recognized by the device.

Due to that and some other problems I had with the phone, I took it back today and got the HP iPAQ hw6515. GPS integrated and phone with flash. I've got both BeeLineGPS and GpxSonar on there so I can see how I like it. Right now, I'm liking the BeeLineGPS because I can use the GPS on the phone to hunt caches as well as waypoint management.

I plan on trying out a few caches here later in the week so that will be the true test of the unit.