Geoching While On A Cruise

hummer dude

:ph34r: I was down that way on Thanksgiving. Here are the easy caches, starting with my stateside port of Galveston that I was able to grab.

Found It! Virtual Cache (1/1)

Size: Not chosen 10 Mar 03 Grand Cayman Heroes by littleyellow (GCE29E)

Cayman Islands Yesterday*

02 Dec 05

Size: Not chosen 10 Mar 03 Franklin the swimmer by littleyellow (GCE2A4)

Cayman Islands 6 days ago*

02 Dec 05

Size: Virtual 22 Nov 01 TO HELL AND BACK by NCFLYERS - The Double J's of Fortuna, CA (GC2978)

Cayman Islands 6 days ago*

02 Dec 05

Found It! Virtual Cache (1.5/1)

Size: Virtual 15 Jun 02 Fort Portobelo by -Team Family Affair (GC6CD0)

Panama 27 Dec 05

30 Nov 05

Size: Virtual 15 Jun 02 The 8th Wonder of the World- The Panama Canal by -Team Family Affair (GC6CD6)

Panama 27 Dec 05

30 Nov 05

Size: Virtual 14 Jun 02 Christoper Columbus's 4th and Final Voyage by -Team Family Affair (GC6CCA)

Costa Rica 27 Dec 05

28 Nov 05

Found It! Virtual Cache (1/2.5)

Size: Virtual 23 Nov 01 The Mayan Ruins Of Tulum by NCFLYERS - The Double J's of Fortuna, CA (GC29B5)

Mexico 10 Jan 06

26 Nov 05

Found It! Virtual Cache (2/1)

Size: Virtual 16 Feb 03 Playa del Carmen by Eagle6 (GCD61A)

Mexico 5 days ago*

26 Nov 05

Size: Virtual 18 Jan 03 Pirates Abode by Vetteman & Sharon (GCC6F7)

Texas 21 Jan 06

24 Nov 05

Size: Virtual 8 Oct 03 Bishop's Palace by Teddielynn (GCH1CG)

Texas 21 Jan 06

24 Nov 05

There is also one a Stingray city on Grand Cayman

One of my best caching experiences ever was grabbing a cab at the docks in St. Marten and going for a cache. I was FTF, in fact! The taxi driver was immensely amused by us, and took us to meet her grandson on the way back to the ship.

Last year in Curacao I got a cab after finishing a SCUBA dive and had the driver drop me off at the trailhead to a cache that seemed do-able. I asked him to come back in an hour and a half. He did, of course. I was there on time, soaking wet and muddy, having had a great adventure.

Both of those were true adventures in the spirit of what geocaching ought to be: exploring new places with only a vague idea of what you're getting into.

So I would suggest that you consider doing some that are farther than walking distance from the docks. They might well turn out to be your best adventures ever!

;) I was down that way on Thanksgiving.  Here are the easy caches, starting with my stateside port of Galveston that I was able to grab.

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Aren't there any caches there? :rolleyes:

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Aren't there any caches there?

Sax:

No. And that's a serious problem. In many countries of the world, there are very few physical caches. It's a chicken-and-egg problem; with no caches, you get no cachers, and with no cachers, you have no caches.

That's why vacation virtual caches in those places were so nice. A visiting geocacher could place a couple of caches so that new cachers starting in the area would have something to go find, and perhaps caching could gain a foothold.

But the arbitrary banning of vacation virtual caches based on the nonsensical claim that they needed "maintenance" by a local eliminated that avenue to getting caching started in new areas. As a result, there are many vacation spots where cachers could enjoy wonderful adventures that are now essentially off-limits to all new caches; all that remains are a few grandfathered virtuals.

Too bad, isn't it? That's the kind of thing that comes from assuming the whole world is just like the United States.

Virtual Cache <snip>

Virtual Cache <snip>

Aren't there any caches there?

Sax:

No. And that's a serious problem. In many countries of the world, there are very few physical caches. It's a chicken-and-egg problem; with no caches, you get no cachers, and with no cachers, you have no caches.

That's why vacation virtual caches in those places were so nice. A visiting geocacher could place a couple of caches so that new cachers starting in the area would have something to go find, and perhaps caching could gain a foothold.

But the arbitrary banning of vacation virtual caches based on the nonsensical claim that they needed "maintenance" by a local eliminated that avenue to getting caching started in new areas. As a result, there are many vacation spots where cachers could enjoy wonderful adventures that are now essentially off-limits to all new caches; all that remains are a few grandfathered virtuals.

Too bad, isn't it? That's the kind of thing that comes from assuming the whole world is just like the United States.

This should really be it's own thread. Maybe a moderator can split it out.

There are already geocaches in virtually every part of the world. It isn't up to vacationing geocachers to place more. In the early days it was, but that's in the past.

Caches need to be maintained or they become litter. If there's a problem with the cache before it is published, how is a vacationing cacher supposed to fix it? They might not have Internet access available before they leave town. Even if this is a trip they take once a year, it's going to take them quite some time to get back and fix it. Now there's litter sitting there until they can return. Sometimes these caches are placed during once in a lifetime trips. When will they ever get back to fix any problems? Allowing vacation caches causes many more problems than it solves.

Now back to the topic: I've been thinking of taking a cruise. Originally that was to be during our 10th anniversary (this year) but we already have other vacation plans. We may consider taking a cruise next year, and I'd love to find some caches in Alaska (yes, the cruise would likely be to Alaska since it doesn't get too hot there).

There are already geocaches in virtually every part of the world. It isn't up to vacationing geocachers to place more. In the early days it was, but that's in the past.

Completely, utterly, profoundly wrong. There are enormous areas of the world with practically no geocaches. Once again, the whole world is not just like the US.

For example, I was in Acapulco last year on a cruise. There was only one cache in a city of 4 million people, and it was disabled.

Try the search yourself here. See? One active cache, and it looks like a vacation cache that somehow slipped through.

There's really no use in discussing this, as the decisions have been made and we're stuck with them.

Edited by fizzymagic

Completely, utterly, profoundly wrong. There are enormous areas of the world with practically no geocaches. Once again, the whole world is not just like the US.

There's really no use in discussing this, as the decisions have been made and we're stuck with them.

That's right, I should have said virtually every part of the populated world. Even in the middle of the US we have nonpopulated areas without caches. I could put quite a few in eastern Colorado, since it's only a few hours to drive to Kansas. The question is, would I be willing to drive out there to maintain them as needed?

Same goes with placing a cache near Machu Picchu. If I was there every few months, or had the time and money to go there every few months, then it's not really a vacation cache. Since I've never been there, never found a cache there, and will probably only visit the location once in my life, it would be a vacation cache and not allowed on the site. That's called being responsible. Just allowing anyone to place a vacation cache anywhere is not.

That's right, I should have said virtually every part of the populated world.

A city of 4 million people is not part of the populated world?

And did you even bother reading the post you're responding to? Nothing has been written in this thread about placing physical vacation caches.

If you will go back and look at your own post, you will see that you asked why all the caches in these places were virtuals. I explained why, and then said why I thought that the new policies were a problem.

I'm done with this; I only respond here because I would like to be afforded the simple courtesy of having my posts actually read before being responded to.

Edited by fizzymagic
The thread topic made me think that it would be pretty cool to be the activities director on a cruise full of Alzheimers Patients. You could hide the same caches day after day for them. :rolleyes:  B)  B)  ;)

j/k and yes I do know how awful this disease is on a very personal level. Put the flames away. ;)

Hell, you could rehide the same cache every 10 minutes with some folks ... B)

Edited by clearpath
That's right, I should have said virtually every part of the populated world.

A city of 4 million people is not part of the populated world?

And did you even bother reading the post you're responding to? Nothing has been written in this thread about placing physical vacation caches.

If you will go back and look at your own post, you will see that you asked why all the caches in these places were virtuals. I explained why, and then said why I thought that the new policies were a problem.

I'm done with this; I only respond here because I would like to be afforded the simple courtesy of having my posts actually read before being responded to.

Virtual caches are not an option, so if you're placing a vacation cache, it has to be a physical one. That part of the discussion started when I said, "Aren't there any caches there?" and you responded to it.