Daypacks?

Anyone have an experience with the 3 Day Assault Pack?

I used one for almost a year while hiking and I liked it. It was extremely durable and withstood alot of difficult bushwacking. The pack has plenty of room for anything a Geocacher might need and with three seperate pockets you can organize your gear any way you want. That said, I have switched it out for something lighter with external pockets. I may carry water bottles instead of a hydration bladder depending on the length of the hike, or I use the pockets for my camera or snacks. It is a good pack for rough conditions but I think there are better packs for caching.

Edited by SAPD

Finally got to use my Mountainsmith Approach II in the woods. I went on a 12 mile hike and did some geocaching along the way. Can't say enough good things about this pack! I hiked for seven hours and didn't have a single problem with it all day. Took some photos and will be sure to post them when I get the film developed (yeah, I'm still in the 35mm era until I buy a new camera soon).

Ok. I have surrendered to the overwhelming peer pressure and have joined the BrianSnat Mountainsmith Approach II fan club. That shovel pocket was the factor for me. Like the idea I can put wet clothes into it with out having to put them in the pack.

Ok - me too - mine just arrived in the mail - after the snow clears will try it out - 14" so far today and still coming down - another 6 - 10 before morning!!!

Yeah, it may be pricey, but it'll likely be the last pack you buy because it's Lowe! Moun10Girl's ND35 just came in the mail last night and it's fantastic. They're part of a movement in pack makers to make anatomically correct packs for guys and girls. Very good construction and if it's anything like my Lowe boots, it'll be around for quite awhile. :D

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Ok. I have surrendered to the overwhelming peer pressure and have joined the BrianSnat Mountainsmith Approach II fan club. That shovel pocket was the factor for me. Like the idea I can put wet clothes into it with out having to put them in the pack.

Ok - me too - mine just arrived in the mail - after the snow clears will try it out - 14" so far today and still coming down - another 6 - 10 before morning!!!

Anybody keeping track of how many Mountainsmith packs BrianSnat has sold? After reading one of his posts praising Mountainsmith, I bought their Tailwater medium-sized hydration pack. Very lightweight and well-designed. Anyway, thanks, BrianSnat! Mountainsmith owes you quite a bit of commission :D

For more ambitious treks, I've got a Camelbak Motherlode. It'll carry two 100-oz hydration bladders and two small (7.62mm-size) ammo-cans internally, with space left over for all the usual gear, clothing, etc.

Yeah, it may be pricey, but it'll likely be the last pack you buy because it's Lowe! Moun10Girl's ND35 just came in the mail last night and it's fantastic. They're part of a movement in pack makers to make anatomically correct packs for guys and girls. Very good construction and if it's anything like my Lowe boots, it'll be around for quite awhile. :ph34r:

Very true. I have a Lowe Contour 4 pack that is simply awesome. It's the second one I have owned. The first I traded for a pair of rollerblades which I now never use but I am always wishing I had kept that pack.

I got great deals on both packs by buying them from REI's scratch and dent sale. The first I paid $21 for, and the second newer one I paid $55. I doubt I will ever find such a great deal on the Rover though.

Jayst

Gee, you people must geocaching in BFE ! :ph34r:

Since I live in the 4th largest city, mine is all a 2-3 hour walk in the woods.

I use a fishing vest, holds everything I want and I put ice in my CamelBak, which goes in

the large game pocket in the rear, keeping my back cool, while I walk.

I guess if I was hiking a long way, I would have a good back pack, interesting to read about, tho

Indy.jpg

Got my Vista and Pocket PC in my Otter Case, walking staff and Panama Jack hat.

No wonder the rest of the Texas Vikings call me "Indy"

I've been reading this thread with great interest. My new packs arrived yesterday. I am a fan of Camelbak gear only because I am familiar with it. I just got a new Sigma and Peak bagger by Camelbak and they are incredibly nice packs. The Sigma is smaller but extremely rugged and the peak bagger carries a ton of gear comfortably. Gonna have to look up Mountain Smith...one can never have too many good packs

After reading the posts I too was converted to the Approach II. I'm ordering "forest" for me and am I also ordering the Approach II women's model in "cinnamon" for Mrs hiker. At the same time I'm ordering hydration kits. I'm picking up the 3 liter Camelbak for mine. Does anyone know if the Approach II women's pack will hold a 3 liter bladder? Having a hard time finding specs that say what size it will take.

Gee, you people must geocaching in BFE ! :)

Since I live in the 4th largest city, mine is all a 2-3 hour walk in the woods.

I use a fishing vest, holds everything I want and I put ice in my CamelBak, which goes in

the large game pocket in the rear, keeping my back cool, while I walk.

I guess if I was hiking a long way, I would have a good back pack, interesting to read about, tho

Indy.jpg

Got my Vista and Pocket PC in my Otter Case, walking staff and Panama Jack hat.

No wonder the rest of the Texas Vikings call me "Indy"

Absolutely beautiful!! :laughing::):) Careful not to trip, that thingie around your neck might get in the way of a 'clean' fall. Cache on Dude! :)

After reading the posts I too was converted to the Approach II. I'm ordering "forest" for me and am I also ordering the Approach II women's model in "cinnamon" for Mrs hiker. At the same time I'm ordering hydration kits. I'm picking up the 3 liter Camelbak for mine. Does anyone know if the Approach II women's pack will hold a 3 liter bladder? Having a hard time finding specs that say what size it will take.

You talking about the CamelbakUnbottle? My Approach II fits the 3 Liter Unbottle. I'm fairly certain the hydration sleeve in the womans pack would be about the same size. If you are using the Unbottle, the sleeve becomes less important though as the Unbottle will stand on its own inside the pack outside the sleeve. So even if it is too big for the hydration sleeve, it will still be fine.

You talking about the CamelbakUnbottle? My Approach II fits the 3 Liter Unbottle. I'm fairly certain the hydration sleeve in the womans pack would be about the same size. If you are using the Unbottle, the sleeve becomes less important though as the Unbottle will stand on its own inside the pack outside the sleeve. So even if it is too big for the hydration sleeve, it will still be fine.

I was looking at the Camelbak Omega 100 oz resivoir for both. To me it would make sense that both would use the same size but you never know, thought I would ask someone who gots one.

I was looking at the Camelbak Omega 100 oz resivoir for both. To me it would make sense that both would use the same size but you never know, thought I would ask someone who gots one.

Well if you go with the Unbottle, you don't have to worry whether it fits or not. The nice thing about the Unbottle is that you can move it from pack to pack - even ones withouth a sleeve for a hydration bladder.

Well if you go with the Unbottle, you don't have to worry whether it fits or not. The nice thing about the Unbottle is that you can move it from pack to pack - even ones withouth a sleeve for a hydration bladder.

Thanks for the tip on the unbottle, changed my order. Great review on the Approach II, BTW.

Yesh. Never thought it would be so hard to find a daypack/knapsack that I'd like/want.

I have several. Mostly ones my parents gave me they picked up cheap at The Gap or other places. Most I don't use because they don't really fit my needs (too much/big, to small). My current knapsack I use gc'ing is ok, but am not happy with it.

I also have this coleman 'ultralight' knapsack I use at scouting events. The front side pocket I put small things like my checkbook, flashlight, pens, etc. Main pack is great for a notebook, my jacket, etc. It has 2 large side pockets that fit a 32oz nalgene bottle fine, or my big*ss jambo mug. I got it 'free' when I went to NOAC, and I've attached a wide range of scouting related embroidered keychains, luggage tags, etc, to it.

Only problem is the material is pulling away from the zipper. Already a problem at the top, when there is about a 3in gap. Now its happening on one of the sides. Don't see anyway I can repair it. So I figured it was time to replace it. My only requirements is the pack be reasonable in price (I don't need a $100+ technical day pack or a hydration pack), a clear area on the 'front' because I want to sew on a 6in jacket patch, and two big side pockets for my mug and a water bottle.

:)

I have looked on-line everyone. Most daypacks don't have side pockets. Some have those little mesh pockets for bottles, but its not the same. Coleman doesn't make that line of packs any more. And then, most packs have a bunch of nonsense along the front that doesn't give me enough clear area to put a patch on it.

What a pain.

There are a couple I'm looking at, but each one is a trade off. The North Face Yavapai is nice, but has small mesh pockets on the side. If I put my mug there, it will probably get dirt in it. That Mountainsmith Approach II is nice, but there's no way I can attach the patch I want, and I don't think those side pockets are big enough.

(sorry, just had to vent)

That Mountainsmith Approach II is nice, but there's no way I can attach the patch I want, and I don't think those side pockets are big enough.

Exactly how big is that patch? I have a fairly large one on mine and there is room for larger. The side pockets will fit a liter Nalgene bottle and other stuff.

29721b6b-2fca-448b-9be7-f883fe036576.jpg

Edited by briansnat
That Mountainsmith Approach II is nice, but there's no way I can attach the patch I want, and I don't think those side pockets are big enough.

Exactly how big is that patch? I have a fairly large one on mine and there is room for larger. The side pockets will fit a liter Nalgene bottle and other stuff.

The patch would be a 6in round 'back patch' or 'jack patch'. I want to put this on the front of the pack, not on the side. Basically below the mountainsmith logo, but there's all that nonsense stuff there. :)

If the side pockets will fit a liter Nalgene bottle, maybe a little more, that might be big enough. But my mug is big.

Okay, going to bring this back to the top. I had purchased the MountainSmith Pack a while back and used it on a 12 mile hiking/geocaching adventure. I LOVED IT! At the time I had a 35mm camera and used it to take a picture of my pack (weird, I know). Shortly after that, we bought a digital camera and the film just sat in the 35mm camera. Well, I FINALLY got it developed and laughed when I seen these pics. Figured I would post one of my beloved pack. By the way, I've used this pack quite a bit in the past five or six months and have ZERO problems with it. It fits perfect and is very rugged....

Geocaching%20pack%20and%20GPS.jpg

^_^ Good ol' Mil-Surplus rucksack. Accept no substitutes. Got it off of ebay for less than $20 and will probably outlast me and my future grandkids. :D

Exactly -- pack a couple of MREs and you are good to go! MMMmm... the cherry nut cake is the best... sucks when you get stuck with the cheese packet though, would always trade for some peanut butter.

Seriously though, those packs aren't bad. Don't care much for the boots, though!

Nothing wrong with a little cheese pack when you're stranded out in the woods. Especially if you have a bunch of oatmeal bars. Use the cheese as mortar on your oatmeal bar bricks and you can build yourself a nice little shelter. Use the crackers as roofing shingles and your good to go. :laughing:

Nothing beats the maple nut bar!!

I have a RedStone pack made by Stone Creek Designs. It is by far the best daypack I have ever seen or had the pleasure to wear. Hand made in a small shop run by one of the top gear designers in Colorado (formerly known for her designs for MountainSmith among other top names). It has a fantastic zipper-less opening/closing system that opens and closes just by pulling one of 2 rip cords. The harness system is easily adjustable to hold the weight on the hips, making it incredibly comfortable, especially for someone like me with back problems.

My pack has been around the world and suffered the harshest treatment, but it is made of the best materials and is still good as new after 5 years.

I like supporting a small American company, especially when the quality is the best I have ever known. Most of the big names used to be small quality shops like this until their name became more valuable than their products. The MountainSmith, Patagonia, and North Face gear that I have that was made in the US before they moved overseas was of the same high quality that this backpack is today. Sadly those companies don't make the quality gear that they used to. . . . Just good to know that some still do!

Check it out here:

http://stonecreekproduct.com/Merchant2/mer...oduct_Code=RDBP

Edited by YuccaPatrol

A few years ago I got a CamelBak HAWG for mountain biking. Its really well insulated, Ive had ice left in it still after 24 hours. The back is fairly breathable so it doesnt get too hot. Ive fallen straight back onto jagged rocks while trying to climb hills without harming my pack, bladder, or most importantly my back. Im sold on it as a rugged product. It has plenty of space for me to carry more than enough water, all the gear I need while Im out, and Ive even carried some of my friends stuff. It cinches down pretty well so you dont have excess baggage to get caught on limbs and stuff. This years HAWG looks even better!

Now that Ive started geocaching I just added some spare batteries and pen and paper and pocket my gps. Still carry all my biking gear around just in case I run across someone who needs it. Not like the exercise doesnt hurt.

Those maxpedition packs do look pretty cool...

A few years ago I got a CamelBak HAWG for mountain biking. Its really well insulated, Ive had ice left in it still after 24 hours. The back is fairly breathable so it doesnt get too hot. Ive fallen straight back onto jagged rocks while trying to climb hills without harming my pack, bladder, or most importantly my back. Im sold on it as a rugged product. It has plenty of space for me to carry more than enough water, all the gear I need while Im out, and Ive even carried some of my friends stuff. It cinches down pretty well so you dont have excess baggage to get caught on limbs and stuff. This years HAWG looks even better!

Now that Ive started geocaching I just added some spare batteries and pen and paper and pocket my gps. Still carry all my biking gear around just in case I run across someone who needs it. Not like the exercise doesnt hurt.

Those maxpedition packs do look pretty cool...

p2244307reg.jpg

We recently picked up a HAWG, and love it so far. We had looked at the MULE, but it seemed a bit small for day-hikes.

The HAWG has enough room for a full 3 liter bladder, geoswag, TB's, First Aid Kit, and snacks. It fits snug on your back and has plenty of breathing room. Overall, we're pretty happy with it as a cachin' pack.

Looking at the picture of the HAWG reminds me--a useful and cheap accessory for your hydration pack (Camel or other) is an insulating sleeve for the drinking tube. Here in the desert it's essential. Without a sleeve, the sun heats the water in the tube to a temperature from tepid to scalding. One of the joys of a hydration pack is the morale-boosting ability to deliver cool water to a hot hiker, so wrap that tube! (Lots of folks roll their own sleeve out of duct tape, neoprene, canvas, etc.)

Bill Bryson in his "Walk in the Woods" is amazed to find that all backpacks are NOT waterproof,is this true or was this poetic licence?

I want a shopping basket on my bike, multi-bucks Cannondale, but the shop refuses to fit one.

Edited by dunderhead

Bill Bryson in his "Walk in the Woods" is amazed to find that all backpacks are NOT waterproof,is this true or was this poetic licence?

I want a shopping basket on my bike, multi-bucks Cannondale, but the shop refuses to fit one.

Many packs are water resistant, but not waterproof, particularly those used for overnite trips. There are some totally waterproof packs. I think its Arc'teryx that makes one that is totally waterproof (it uses a canoe drybag style roll top closure) and most of the Arc'teryx line is water highly water resistant.

Edited by briansnat

Many packs are water resistant, but not waterproof, particularly those used for overnite trips. There are some totally waterproof packs. I think its Arc'teryx that makes one that is totally waterproof (it uses a canoe drybag style roll top closure) and most of the Arc'teryx line is water highly water resistant.

So he was right ! , the exception proving the rule. Then it is necessary to bag everything inside. Is there any reason they are only made water resistant?

Edited by dunderhead