Daypacks?

Backpack - 2400ST

A "cool" look and unique tackle

storage system has made this

backpack a runaway hit.

• Great backpack for ages 7 and up.

• Side entry allows quick access to tackle storage.

• 2 zippered side pockets and 2 zippered front

pockets.

• Heavy padded shoulder straps.

softside_2400st.jpg

I just bought this on clearance at Wal Mart for 11.00. I love it! It has tons of zippered compartments, and the two tackle boxes are great for storing swag.

Not recommended for big guys though, it is made for a small person.

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. Very nice pack. Here is a review I wrote for Today's Cacher. LL Bean sells it for $99, but its $69 at Campmor.com.

PAAAAAPNFLLADCBK.jpg

It can expand to carry an ammo box into the backcountry (see pic) , and it contracts when not full. Its hydration system compatible (I use a Camebak Unbottle or Platypus Hoser) and also has side pockets for easy access to water bottles. Also good for digital camera.

29721b6b-2fca-448b-9be7-f883fe036576.jpg

Edited by briansnat
I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. Very nice pack.

briansnat,

In a forum thread someone started last year you posted about the Mountainsmith Approach II. At that time I was looking for a new daypack so I went to a local outdoor company and checked one out. I ended up buying one and have been using it ever since.

So, thank you very much for the recommendation last year!

It can fit loads of stuff and can also be compressed to be fairly small when the extra capacity is not needed, so I use it for pretty much every type of outing I usually do. I put a Nalgene 2-litre water bladder in mine and that makes it pretty much perfect.

About the only thing I'd recommend they improve is increasing the depth of the exterior water bottle holders. My 32oz Nalgene bottles tend to slip out, but my shorter ones stay in without any problems. I'd prefer to be able to stick the 32oz bottles in there, but oh well. I do love the shovel pocket!

Edited by Ferreter5

There are a number of good choices available. Fox uses an Osprey pack that he has beaten to a ridiculous degree (bushwacking/mountaineering) for years and it holds up (and he breaks everything eventually). I'm using a camelbak (hey you have to carry water and first aid anyway) that doubles as my swag bag and has enough straps to attach rainpants, jacket, etc. You might checkout backpacker magazines new gear review. It just came out about a week ago and has some very good choices. :grin:

I think I recall LL Bean's new daypack being very highly rated and only 59bucks.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Team FnC uses a North Face Yavapai. We love it! It has a hip belt, chest belt, three compartments, (the big one is padded for a laptop!) built in resue whistle; never had to use it - yet... Really durable, really nice pack. And the best part - it was free! Got it as a perk with one of my credit cards.

But I would recommend it, even if I had to buy it.

What kind of pack is the first cousin to what kind of GPS. And what you use depends on what your real purposes are. I have a small pack that I use for short day hikes. But most of my caches are in the backcountry so I use a Kelty Apache which is about 3000 cu. in. It holds a lot of gear and carries nice with a heavy load.

And Kelty has changed their product line so here is some info on it. And that is $30.00 less than I paid for it a year ago.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

I have a great mountainsmith pack that I bring with me caching most of the time, but after briansnat mentioned campmor, I went over and found...

67628.jpg

a $100 hydration pack for $40, designed for cyclists, but sounds great for caching...

Camelbak Ventoux 100oz hydration pack

...and no, I don't work for campmor, just love the sweet deals you come across sometimes...

Thanks Briansnat!

Jamie

I like to pack light when I cache. Whether I am making several urban or roadside stops or making my way through the woods I always carry a small bandolier bag. It can hold my GPS, flashlight, pocket knife, fire starter, spare batteries, water bottle, compass(just in case), cache repair kit, sunscreen, emergency blanket, pens, pencils, etc. Many times I have a spare cache or micro in it as well. It isn't big but it worksI like having something small on my back so I can still have mobility in the field. It doesn't look out of the way in the city. It doesn't catch on trees very easily if I have to snake my way through the woods.

Hydration or plain?

Hydration I went with a Camelbak Snobound: all over the net for $100.00 (base price). Has huge amounts of room, 100 Liter bladder insulated tubing that zips into the shoulder straps, straps for skis, trekking poles, or snowboard, camera & tripod. Found at SierraTP through Fatwallet.com stores for $60.00 along with shipping discount code of 20% off in Fatwallets forums. A very nice package for the money.

Also picked up one lightweight Camelbak thermal 100L off of Ebay brand new for $33.00 total.

Fatwallet is very interesting place to find new merchandise along with cashback percentages as well.

Plain: dont need yet. :ph34r:

I'll recommed Campmor, STP, Moosejaw, Timberland, R(eally) E(xpensive) I(tems) for their outlet store where you can have your order delivered to a local REI store for free as well, and then pick it up.

Edited by Colorado Cacher

Thanks everyone!!!! That gives me some stuff to think about. I never thought about a hydration pack until now. Hhhhhmmmmm. Being in northeast Indiana (flat corn field country), I'm not sure I would need one. However, it might be nice to have if I go on some short overnight hikes in the southern part of the state.

"R(eally) E(xpensive) I(tems)"....LOL! That's funny!

I logged my first 500 finds with a home made fanny pack my mom made for me 10 years ago. After I added a mirror and a compass and food and water and 675 other things to my list, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $19 back pack. It has pockets on the outside that I store pens, a note pad, and my PDA. That way I can use these frequently needed items without digging around. Food, swag, extra clothing, water etc. is all inside. Over 200 finds later, I still can't see the need for a $50 or $100 pack.

Some things I find useful in picking out a pack.

Do the zippers go all the way to the bottom of the pack or do they stop mid way? I like the mid way stop since it allows me to open the pack fully and not have to worry about things falling out.

Is the pack a heavy one? Some packs weight a ton. I always look for a pack which is not going to weigh more than the things I m carrying.

Is it water proof or water resistent?

Does it have a hydration system or does it have external areas to hold a water bottle? Are the external areas big enough to hold a big water bottle? This is a big one for me, since I dont want my water bottle to get everything wet by carrying it inside the main compartment in case it springs a leak.

Does it have an area to put in pens and keep them away from items which are likely to break a pen? This has happen to me more than once.

I like to have at least three seperate compartments. And an area outside the bag where I can attach a bag of trash so it does not have to ride inside with everything else, like my lunch....

To date I have used Jansports and Mountainsmith. I do like the bag brainsnat has shown, I love the idea of outside storage as well as inside storage...

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. Very nice pack. Here is a review I wrote for Today's Cacher. LL Bean sells it for $99, but its $69 at Campmor.com.

PAAAAAPNFLLADCBK.jpg

It can expand to carry an ammo box into the backcountry (see pic) , and it contracts when not full. Its hydration system compatible (I use a Camebak Unbottle or Platypus Hoser) and also has side pockets for easy access to water bottles. Also good for digital camera.

Well, Campmor doesn't seem to have this pack for men any longer and the cheapest I can find it is $80. It's exactly what I'm looking for though.

Campmor does have the women's version on sale, if there are any ladies looking for a pack. :lol:

PAAAAAPNFLLADCBK.jpg

I second the Mountainsmith Approach II, I love mine!

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. Very nice pack. Here is a review I wrote for Today's Cacher.  LL Bean sells it for $99, but its $69 at Campmor.com.

<<<image removed>>>>

It can expand to carry an ammo box into the backcountry (see pic) , and it contracts when not  full.  Its hydration system compatible (I use a Camebak Unbottle or Platypus Hoser) and also has side pockets for easy access to water bottles. Also good for digital camera.

<<<<Image Removed>>>>

Well, Campmor doesn't seem to have this pack for men any longer and the cheapest I can find it is $80.  It's exactly what I'm looking for though.

Campmor does have the women's version on sale, if there are any ladies looking for a pack.  :D

Check out this pack from LL Bean then. I was looking at in the store recently and it seemed real nice. If I didn't already have my Approach II, this is one I'd seriously consider. It has many similar features Not too big a hit on the wallet at $59.

BTW a quick google search turned up the Approach II here for $69. I guess Mountainsmith has discontinued this pack.

L45578_Forest_Moss.jpg

Edited by briansnat
Ref the Mountainsmith II in the above picture, a Camelbak Rimrunner will hold an ammo can and full 100L of water in it at half the above shown width.

Actually the ammo box will fit inside the Approach II, along with a 3 liter water bladder, in which case it will have a much slimmer profile.

Putting in the outside shovel pocket allows you to carry the ammo box along with all the other items you usually keep in the pack. Clothing, lunch etc... The Rim Runner is only 1,500 ci while the Approach II is 2500 ci (not including the outside shovel pocket).

The outside shovel pocket is also great for CITO, wet raincoats and other items you don't want to have in contact with your pack contents.

Edited by briansnat
Thanks again guys!  Was talking to a guy at work about this and he said "Well, I have one for ya!"  Got this pack now.  Not exactly what I was looking for (wanted more seperate compartments), but for the price it'll work.  Found this description on the web to show ya.  The pack is a couple of years old, but NEVER used!  :o

Gregory RunOut Backpack

Gregory makes great packs. If your pack isn't hydration system compatible (that generallyy means a sleeve inside the pack for the bladder and an exit port for the hose), look into picking up a Camelbak Unbottle 3. You just slip it inside, thread the hose throught the lid and you have a hydration pack.

LOL! Brian, you ever get tired of posting pics of your pack?

Hey I didn't post all those!!!

Edited by briansnat

This may start a Garmin/ Magellan argument, but why would any hiker choose a hydration sleeve over common water bottles ? They are hard to clean, frequently don't work all that well (bite valves)

Hydration sleeves were not intended for hikers , imo. They were really more for the mountain biking element which calls for a way to hydrate while moving at speed.

Eastern Mountain Sports has a number of daypacks in the biking line that are good for many other purposes.

Ready on the firing line, commence firing. :o

This may start a Garmin/ Magellan argument, but why would any hiker choose a hydration sleeve over common water bottles ? They are hard to clean, frequently don't work all that well (bite valves)

Hydration sleeves were not intended for hikers , imo. They were really more for the mountain biking element which calls for a way to hydrate while moving at speed.

Eastern Mountain Sports has a number of daypacks in the biking line that are good for many other purposes.

Ready on the firing line, commence firing. :o

Convenience.

1- I don't have to keep taking the pack off to get at the water.

2- The water stays inside the pack and that keeps it cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

3-Frees up my outside pockets for camera and other things I need to get at quickly.

Also, on really hot days I freeze my water bladder overnight and the heat of my back melts it slowly, giving me cool water all day long.

The newer bite valves are much better designed and don't leak.

Finally, they aren't all that hard to clean as long as you only use water. Throw Gatorade or juice in it and you could find a science project on your hands. Once every few uses I just run a bleach solution through the hose and that keeps it sparkling. It doesn't take much longer than washing out a water bottle.

I've finally convinced my wife to do a lot more hiking by caching with us. I'm not about to ask her to carry her own water (for a while yet) so the hydration pack works great for us (her) :o ! It's also nice to have one single carryall that you can strap rain gear to for those iffy days. I used to carry bottles, but how many times do you have to drop a bottle halfway down a mountain before you learn :o I tried using carabiners to attach to other packs, but then it constantly swings and hits you as you move. So.....convenience, convenience, convenience.

Thanks again guys!  Was talking to a guy at work about this and he said "Well, I have one for ya!"  Got this pack now.  Not exactly what I was looking for (wanted more seperate compartments), but for the price it'll work.  Found this description on the web to show ya.  The pack is a couple of years old, but NEVER used!  ;)

Gregory RunOut Backpack

Gregory makes great packs. If your pack isn't hydration system compatible (that generallyy means a sleeve inside the pack for the bladder and an exit port for the hose), look into picking up a Camelbak Unbottle 3. You just slip it inside, thread the hose throught the lid and you have a hydration pack.

LOL! Brian, you ever get tired of posting pics of your pack?

Hey I didn't post all those!!!

Well, erase what I said earlier!!! LOL! Broke down and ordered a Mountainsmith Approach II today. Got it from that link that Brian gave me and picked it up for about $60. Thanks Brian!

;) Good ol' Mil-Surplus rucksack. Accept no substitutes. Got it off of ebay for less than $20 and will probably outlast me and my future grandkids. :D

Exactly -- pack a couple of MREs and you are good to go! MMMmm... the cherry nut cake is the best... sucks when you get stuck with the cheese packet though, would always trade for some peanut butter.

Seriously though, those packs aren't bad. Don't care much for the boots, though!

alice_pack_medium.jpg

:) Good ol' Mil-Surplus rucksack. Accept no substitutes. Got it off of ebay for less than $20 and will probably outlast me and my future grandkids. :D

Roger that! I am using the actual pack I have owned for 20 years now...my U.S. Army ALICE pack. I have a large pack to slip on the frame for long range/overnighters, and a medium pack for long daytrips that slips over the same frame. If out for a quick, less than 3 mile run, I use my U.S. Army map bag. All of my gear has been been around the world with me, and is combat tested. If it could stand up to that, it can stand up to a little GC action no problem :} Inexpensive/durab :blink: le/light. What more do you need?

Ok. I have surrendered to the overwhelming peer pressure and have joined the BrianSnat Mountainsmith Approach II fan club. That shovel pocket was the factor for me. Like the idea I can put wet clothes into it with out having to put them in the pack.

Got mine at Campmor. Cusotmer serivce tells me they still have "tons in stock" at $49.00.

Yeah, that's what they told me too. However, those were the women's model. They didn't have anymore of the men's. : (

Got mine at Alpine Sports, but they only had one more men's. If you got the men's model at Campmor, let us know!!! :mad:

I'm looking for a good daypack and can't decide on which one to get. Need some input. I know this has been discussed before, but the search engine seems to be out of gas. Anyone know what's up with that? :mad:

Anyway, I'm looking for a daypack that won't break my bank account. Input?

[/quote

Just got one from these folks, and it is a great pack! comfortable, stout, and lots of compartments plus a nice inner rig for my flashlight and camera tripod. Plus we got our name embroidered on it so the dork-factor is very high as well (we trade on dork-factor)

http://www.geogearstore.com/

Ok. I have surrendered to the overwhelming peer pressure and have joined the BrianSnat Mountainsmith Approach II fan club. That shovel pocket was the factor for me. Like the idea I can put wet clothes into it with out having to put them in the pack.

Got mine at Campmor. Cusotmer serivce tells me they still have "tons in stock" at $49.00.

Yeah, that's what they told me too. However, those were the women's model. They didn't have anymore of the men's. : (

Got mine at Alpine Sports, but they only had one more men's. If you got the men's model at Campmor, let us know!!! :mad:

Got a the men's version at Campmor. Check the link I posted its for the men's version and they are still in stock. When I spoke with customer serivce I gave them the item number so they could confirm their inventory. The e-mail receipt also lists it as the men's version.

Edited by magellan315

Got a the men's version at Campmor. Check the link I posted its for the men's version and they are still in stock. When I spoke with customer serivce I gave them the item number so they could confirm their inventory. The e-mail receipt also lists it as the men's version.

Well, congratulations!!!! You got a much better deal than I did! I paid about $65 after shipping and handling. I called Campmor twice and searched their website just last week (Wednesday, I believe). The guy told me they were completely out of the men's and would probably not get any more in. :mad:

Either way, I think we'll both be happy with our packs! LOL!