Bbc - Cumbria Website

MeIsMook

I have just been reading THIS

on the BCC Cumbria website......all was fine until I read the comments from people at the bottom of the page :mad: I have posted a reply saying that Long Meg is virtual cache and there is nothing physical actually there!

Perhaps the member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain at www.gagb.org.uk. Tel. 07092 040416 could ring BBC Cumbria up and explain......?

The words "There's a cache hidden at Long Meg!" are not very informed and perhaps the

BBC Cumbria researchers should of read a bit more before adding those words to the bottom of a picture on theie website?

Edited by MeIsMook

It's a pity that the author of the article didn't check with us first. Some do, some don't .

I've also submitted a short reply to those who've expressed concern about the (virtual) cache at Long Meg. If my message hasn't appeared there by tomorrow I'll give BBC Cumbria a ring.

Thanks, MeIsMook, for drawing attention to this.

Bill

(chairman GAGB)

I'm one that will speak up for injustice and to gently (well reasonably so) correct misinformation. I have mailed BBC Cumbria with this mail.

Hi,

having read your article about Geocaching, you've probably been informed that the Cache at Long Meg, isn't there. In fact there are several different types of cache;

Micro Cache;

these usually take the form of a small pill bottle ot film cannister that contains only a roll of paper as a log book.

Standard Cache;

A small watertight container concealed at the location given as the GPS location. Note concealed, this means they are not buried or placed too hard to find. Ofter placed at the base of a bush and covered by leaves, stones etc.

Multi Caches;

These are similar to above, but the paper inside leads you to another cache, usually bigger and away from the original site.

Mystery Caches;

These involve finding a first cache which will lead you on to the next, and then to another etc.

Virtual Caches;

These are locations and there is nothing hidden or concealed there. The only thing you take is a photo to prove you've been there.

All caches must have the landowners permission to be placed there, must not be buried, placed in a dry stone wall or in any form of animal hole.

Geocaching has evolved and is now recognised as a sport, albeit never to Olympic standards, but a great excuse to get out into the countryside. It is one sport where whole families can participate, from retired to infants. It brings families together and gives a wonderful excuse to get out and see some of the beautiful British countryside.

In fact anyone who can hold a GPS unit can do it and often do, there are even examples of a wheelchair user holding the unit and navigating the pusher to the cache.

I find it far more rewarding than holding an equivalent sized TV remote! But doing so is daft to me, each to their own.

One point that hasn't been pointed out that apart from placing a token in the cache and removing one, many Cachers come home with much more- other peoples litter!

Regards

BareClawz

I hope I haven't put my paw in my mouth, it bliddy hurts getting it out!

It looks as if I didn't put my paw in my mouth after all, just impressed the BBC with my Clawz.

I got this reply from them today and thought it might please other readers;

Subject: RE: Your article on Geocaching- Treasure near you

Date: 31/01/2006 14:57:20 GMT Standard Time

Reply To:

To: BareClawz@XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your comments.

We have taken note, and removed mention of the cache at Long Meg from the article.

Yours.

BBC Cumbria

Not a good write up, but at least removing the bad publicity and settling one misconception.

I had not seen this topic until a a few minutes ago so have not seen what the original feature said about the Long Meg cache, but if it was anything which might have led anyone to start digging or othewise searching for a cache around the stones, I can only express relief that it has been edited or as owner of the cache I would have felt obliged to archive it. As it is, it is quite a popular virtual and well illustrates the value of virtuals in bringing people to places they might not otherwise visit. Many thanks Bare Clawz for getting what is a good result by your tactful explanation - and welcome to our obsession! :grin:

I had not seen this topic until a a few minutes ago so have not seen what the original feature said about the Long Meg cache, but if it was anything which might have led anyone to start digging or othewise searching for a cache around the stones, I can only express relief that it has been edited

By the magic that is the web, here is how it looked:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050325221406/...g_feature.shtml

Note the comments as a result of the article's inaccuracies.

John Stead wrote:

...if it was anything which might have led anyone to start digging or othewise searching for a cache around the stones, I can only express relief that it has been edited or as owner of the cache I would have felt obliged to archive it.

As you can see from adambro's link, it wouldn't have had people digging around the stones, but it did give the impression that we were totally heedless of the importance of ancient sites. Anyone reading it would have thought that there was a container hidden right on the spot at Long Meg. :grin:

As you can see from adambro's link, it wouldn't have had people digging around the stones, but it did give the impression that we were totally heedless of the importance of ancient sites.  Anyone reading it would have thought that there was a container hidden right on the spot at Long Meg.  :grin:

Many thanks to adambro for letting me read the original - I still think some people are daft enough to have tried digging round the stones if they read that, so all the more glad it was edited.

Glad GAGB got a mention - but the phone number???!!

Edited by John Stead

This is slightly off topic, as it's aimed at Bill D. I've promised myself I'm waiting till I've done 10 before I place my first cache.

As I'm nearly there I've started preparing one and have the site selected already. A couple of people I've discussed it with are looking forward to it, but are not sure about my choice. They say kids will either love it or become deeply disturbed in later life. All I will say at the moment is that there is a good and nice reason for what will be found at the location.

But I will make sure I place a bear claw in it just for you so that means you'll have to be either a FTF or pretty close to get it. LOLOL