How Long Has It Been...

JaySTE

My one, and so far only, cache has been sitting undisturbed since July of 2004.

I'm pretty confident it's OK, but I will need to go check on it once the snow melts.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...aa-39e8beed44da

I know it's a tough cache to get to but I was hoping more would take up the challenge.

Anyone else have stories of caches like this?

What is the longest you have seen a cache sit between finds?

Jayst

The last log was in June, but I'm pretty sure that one wasn't legit.

For curiousity, I looked at your cache with no logs since June. If he/she added a travel bug, how could it not be legit, I guess the travel bug really wasn't in there? I can understand how the rest of it ("was out in the open, covered up in leaves") could be made up and I assume they didn't sign the log, but again I was just curious?

My three caches with the longest streak of no finds suffer mostly from very few attempts. The two with the longest running streaks (GCP9NM and GCPTW2) are both puzzle caches - I figure most cachers never even try them. The third (GCQWHE) has had a few attempts, but all DNFs. It has been in the wild for 4 full months now (I check on it regularily, so it hasn't dissappeared) and has yet to get the FTF log. I'm guessing it will be found before it is a year old, but the other two may not be found again for a considerable amount of time.

I'm pretty confident it's OK, but I will need to go check on it once the snow melts.

I know it's a tough cache to get to but I was hoping more would take up the challenge.

Jayst

NW 2027.3mi from your home coordinates.

That'w why I'm not going to find it.

Name Date

Fort Matson Way Found: 1/21/2006

Lost Spring Found: 1/16/2006

Tiney Cave Cache Found: 1/15/2006

<_< no problems here, but my top one went about 2-3 months between FTF and STF.

I like to find the "older" caches and see if they are still there, or maybe if they need some TLC. Adopted my bottom two caches because of numerous DNF's before I went, so I replaced them and adopted.

I only have 2 hides thus far, the last time one was found was Nov. 14th but one was re-visited the other day by a previous finder after I dropped in a geocoin. I knew it wouldn't last long in there I was right.

There's still a lot of local cachers that haven't found both or they've only found one of them so I expect it'll be found a lot more in the coming months. I'm planning on placing another one sometime this week or next week too.

The last log was in June, but I'm pretty sure that one wasn't legit.

For curiousity, I looked at your cache with no logs since June. If he/she added a travel bug, how could it not be legit, I guess the travel bug really wasn't in there? I can understand how the rest of it ("was out in the open, covered up in leaves") could be made up and I assume they didn't sign the log, but again I was just curious?

PM sent.

Jayst

NW 2027.3mi from your home coordinates.

That'w why I'm not going to find it.

LOL - But you would if you could!

I feel the same way about many of the caches noted by the other posters to this thread. I wish I could find some challenges like those close to me!

JayST

I have been working on conquering every cache within 20 miles of my home. I logged one the the other day that only saw one visit in 2005. I have a cache in a national forest that has not been visited since May 2005. It's only a 3 mile hike for a log only micro, come on!!

Edited by wesleykey
Perhaps this would be a good cache for terracaching.com. More of a hikers cache site.

Huh? So are you saying GC.com is more tailored to park and grab hiders?

::: Snickers ::: Salvelinus must be looking at the same list of terracaches that I see, since there's only eight or so of them in Central and Western Pennsylvania. Which one are you going after first? The virtual or one of the urban micros?

Perhaps this would be a good cache for terracaching.com. More of a hikers cache site.

Huh? So are you saying GC.com is more tailored to park and grab hiders?

I guess I must be fortunate as I live close to the center of the terracaching universe. There are plenty of terracache opportunities around here, St. Maries, ID., but definetly not as numerous as geocaches. I tend to favor terracaches as I like a more straight forward typical cache at the end of a hike that takes me to unique destinations. And actually there are plenty of those on geocaching also. Terracaching has only been up and running since last October so it needs cachers in some other areas of the country/world to hide more caches. But trust me, I intend to continue finding geocaches. I find that in the winter time most of the terracaches are covered up with snow and since I don`t own a snowmobile or snowshoes I am limited in what I can go after. So that is when I concentrate more on geocaching as there are lots of them in Spokane, WA. & Couer D` Alene, ID and other cities not too far away.

Salvelinus, I see by your avatar that you are into big fish. About a hundred miles south of here you will find the Clearwater River where someone caught a 25 lb. steelhead recently. However that is not a record. Just thought that might interest you. If you are into really big fish, consider hiring an outfitter with a jet boat at Lewiston, ID. or Clarkston, WA. to go Sturgeon fishing. I remember 10 or 15 years ago a 10 footer & a 13 footer were caught in the snake river that flows between those to towns one summer. That will test your arm muscles. Keep on fishin!

Of my caches this one went 15 months between finds.  This one is my currently longest unfound cache.  The last log was in June, but I'm pretty sure that one wasn't legit. The last verifiable log was in Sept 2004.

Hmmmm On that last one, I wonder if it has ANYTHING to do with that pesky SUPERFUND SITE that the trail goes through?

Anybody for caching in a chem/bio protection suit? :wacko:

I have one nobody has found and I placed it on Christmas.  No logs no nothing.

GC number, please?

GCRNGS

Not likely to be too popular a spot in mid winter. Used to head to Ocean City MD when I was a kid over Thanksgiving for some fishing and it was cold. Going by water in winter? Think hard about that one. Going by road? 1 mile hike in the likely open wind?

I think you have a summer cache!

Edited by az_pistolero

The first (and only) cache (GCA122) I hid was way back in October 2002. It went for approximately 773 days (25½ months) before a FTF was logged. Currently it has been unfound for 412 days (13½ months) and counting. According to the logs on the page, it has only been found 25% of the time. Looking at the waterfall picture posted, it would appear that approximately 14 people were looking for it at one time (maybe more), and all were stumped. :o

I have a couple that have gone over 9 months without a find. Of my few that have gone over 6 months, three have only been logged once and one has yet to be logged.

I have observed that even here in the great northwest, there are few cachers who will go far for a cache, and even fewer who will hike any distance.

What I find even more interesting is that I know I have found more than one suburban cache that had sat idle for a year or more. I have no idea how that happens...