Dilemma

Raymond E

:mad: I have been away from my favourite old stamping grounds, the Cape South Peninsula, for a few years and am now faced with the problem of having to service and maintain some of my aging cache sites. I have always been very scrupulous in this regard and have even archived caches rather than let them suffer neglect in any way. The hard fact is that I am now too far away to give these caches proper attention and wonder what I should do.

One cache in particular “ET in a Little Garden” has been reported as being soaked by rain and it grieves me that there is nothing I can do about it. The three story lines in the Silvermine Tales have run out and I cannot replace them.

I wonder, is there a scheme whereby one may hand over or transfer a cache to a local geo-cacher who will then be prepared to take over the maintenance job?

The “Silvermine Tales” is easy. They comprised laminated bookmarks and I can easily furnish them, but emptying and drying the contents of a sodden Tupperware box on top of Klein Tuinkop is a different matter. Any ideas anyone?

You can put your caches up for adoption. This will formally transfer ownership to another cacher. First find someone who is willing to adopt and then goto theAdoption Page to nominate the new owner. The new owner will need to go to the same link, and then "grab" the adoption.

You have to nominate a specific cacher in the adoption page, and only they can adopt the cache.

I'm more than willing to adopt a few of the existing dormant caches in my vicinity, as there are so little for me to hunt at this stage in my region. Adopting one or two can help me to keep my edge...

Contact me if you have anything up for adoption in the Southern Free State or North Eastern Cape regions.

Wolkynou ...

Does adopting a cache count as a placed cache in the ZA cache rankings page? :D

Not QFC, but yes it will. The ranking page is based on your profile. By giving up a cache, your hide's are reduced by one, and similar the adoptee's count is increased by one.

Hopefully this isn't the only reason for wanting to adopt a cache though...... :D

Does adopting a cache count as a placed cache in the ZA cache rankings page? :)

Not QFC, but yes it will. The ranking page is based on your profile. By giving up a cache, your hide's are reduced by one, and similar the adoptee's count is increased by one.

Hopefully this isn't the only reason for wanting to adopt a cache though...... :)

I sense an implicit reprimand here. Don't worry Globalrat - this was a f.y.i. for everyone's benefit. Seems some people are pretty competitive. :huh:

I Have another question to add to that. Last weekend I repaired a cache that doesn't belong to me. I had been raided by baboons and the box was damaged so that everything was all wet and very smelly. The previous cachers had tried to fix it as best they could. I replaced the box, added a new logbook and pen, removed all the very damaged contents except the old logbook. And wrapped it all in plastic.

My question: was I wrong doing this to someone elses cache? Should I have asked permission first? :blink:

Asking is always that best option, but when a cache is in serious disrepair I am sure that all caches will be happy with the kind repair work of other caches.

We recently moved a cache out of the Vaal dam without asking the owner, but one assumes that he was happy with a less wet cache.

My question: was I wrong doing this to someone elses cache? Should I have asked permission first? :blink:

Don't see anything wrong in playing good samaritan. If you know you will be doing this upfront, perhaps contact the cache owner before heading out. If it's on the fly, then an email to the cache owner is probably appropriate. I'm sure most cache owners will be happy that a bit of maintenance was performed by a willing cacher.

:o

I have a similar problem in Lesotho the one cache no longer exhists i have tried to mail the owner but without joy, now i know i can replace the cache but the prob is that it is in view of the border post, i want to move it's location out of sight and that will mean a big co-ord change.

any ideas as to what i can do

New content, new location. Sound like a new cache to me....

I've contacted the owner of a few caches in my vicinity that were archived, either to adopt them or to help him revamp them and give them a new lease on life. The owner did not reply or answer several mails!!! :D

Do you guys think that I can place a new cache near this sites, as these a great sites. Or must I go through Groundspeak and ask them to adopt or ....

Help me ... I must do something to go on caching!!! ;)

Wolkynou

I'm not sure it's always wise to try to revamp, reactivate or adopt an archived cache. In many cases the location of the cache would be known to muggles who have raided/stolen it and who might be on the lookout for more 'freebies'. Better to place a new cache in a new spot somewhere close by, but not within the prescribed distance between caches. Although I don't think the distance restriction applies to archived caches?

Edited by Goofster