Which Palm Or Pocketpc To Choose With E600

D0T-C0M

I'm looking for recommendations on which palm pilot or pocketpc is best suited for geocaching and communicating with the Explorist600.

I want to know what options in general I should be looking for and which has the best software support (OEM and 3rd party) to make the best decision so I would be disappointed.

also might want to use it for work so I will possibly need to be able to run some variant of word and xl spreadsheet software on it.

THANKS

PS I'm sure this info in on the forum somewhere but for whatever reason the search button has been disabled for weeks now. Maybe it's time that it be fixed?????? Such a waste of knowledge here just because we cant use it.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Hey DOT-COM,

I ended up buying a Palm Zire 31 a while back to go along with my eX600. For me it's perfect. Has an SD slot for optional memory cards, color unit, and enough capacity and power to do all I need for Geocaching.

You'll need Cachemate ($8) and GSAK ($30). As noted many times previously, GSAK is a must tool for getting pocket-queries, manipulating, filtering and downloading the cache details to your eX600 and Palm.

Cachmate is the software that is used to convert the Geocaching info to Palm format. This is a very simplistic summary; bottom-line: Once you start using GSAK you'll notice a Ccahemate macro for one-button downloading to your eX600.

Below is a link for a tutorial I used and proved to be a great resource:

http://home.comcast.net/~teamcoychev/paperless.htm (credits to Team CoyChev).

HTH........

Edited by CondorTrax

Thanks for the info.

What about word processing software? From my limited reading on Palms I see they use the Palm OS. I take it windows software won't be directly supported. I hear though that there is open sourced programs that will read Word docs and XL spreadsheets but there are limitations. Is there palm software that will allow me to view and manipulate word docs and XL spreadsheets or not?

I kinda need a unit that can do both.

Whats the best Palm units?

Edited by D0T-C0M
sorry dont know the answer to your question but try searching like this

put into google

site:http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11 yoursearchterms

and just replace yoursearchterms with whatever, and it will search the gps and software threads

thanks for the tip bud, you learn something new everyday.

ok thanks, now if I do go with a pocketPC, what about the availablity of cache software?

There are some great apps for the PocketPC. GPS Tuner is relatively cheap ($30 or so) and loads either LOC or GPX files directly from this site. You can load maps (though limited to size here) and it will do real-time tracking as you drive to your cache.

I also use GPX Sonar for paperless caching. It will take personal query files from this site (available for premiere members) and load a bunch of sites at once.

Best thing to do is go to Handango and look through their GPS software selection.

I'm not familiar with the E600 so I can't speak to how it connects. I'm using the Teletype 16 Channel Bluetooth GPSr with my iPAQ PocketPC.

-al

What pocketpc would you recommend that has expandable memory and wifi?

I'm probably not the best to ask as I've always had iPAQs and really like them. The one I'd buy today would be the iPAQ hx2495. It has a lot of built-in memory, wifi and has both CF and SD card slots. It's not cheap though (~$400).

I have the iPAQ rx3715, which is no longer available (new). I like it because it has a lot of built-in memory and a built-in camera.

I'm sure others can chime in on other brands.

-al

Edited by Big-AlH

I have an Ipaq 4150. I am not sure if they are still available but I know I saw an updated version at Best Buy last week. I am not sure exactly what it is called now. I used a PALM for about 5 years before switching to a Pocket PC. Switching was one of the best things I have done. I like the interface much better. It works very well with Outlook and Word. For Geocaching all I use is GPXSonar. The SD card the PCP takes is the same as my e600. The PPC also has Bluetooth and WiFi. If you have a Bluetooth phone with an Internet plan it works great.

Edited by Fathergoose

I use a Sony Clie...old...old PDA. It communicates with my garmin 60C which is great for trips. I can load say the first 200 miles of caches onto my GPS (1000 or so) than delete and load the second 200 miles. It is a great thing. If you buy a PDA make sure it has a universal connector and not USB. Your GPS does not like USB connections with PDA. OF course there is a bluetooth adapter out there that allows a bluetooth PDA to talk with a GPS. I would not buy a PDA if it can't communicate with your GPS.

Nuwati

Nuwati

FWIW, I believe that most Palm PDAs come with an app called DocumentsToGo, which allows for use and editing of synchronized Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.

I've always used Palms because they seemed to be able to give me a better bang for the buck. You would probably find the best bargains in an older unit with an SD card slot. Also, the Palm OS will allow for the use of CacheMate, a popular caching app.

I think in the longterm, though, that Microsoft is winning the PDA OS wars. If you're wanting a new, bells&whistles unit, you might best go with a ipaq or something.

I use a Sony Clie...old...old PDA. It communicates with my garmin 60C which is great for trips. I can load say the first 200 miles of caches onto my GPS (1000 or so) than delete and load the second 200 miles. It is a great thing. If you buy a PDA make sure it has a universal connector and not USB. Your GPS does not like USB connections with PDA. OF course there is a bluetooth adapter out there that allows a bluetooth PDA to talk with a GPS. I would not buy a PDA if it can't communicate with your GPS.

Nuwati

Nuwati

what do you mean my GPS(e600) doesn't like USB? What is this universal connection?

FWIW, I believe that most Palm PDAs come with an app called DocumentsToGo, which allows for use and editing of synchronized Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.

I've always used Palms because they seemed to be able to give me a better bang for the buck.  You would probably find the best bargains in an older unit with an SD card slot.  Also, the Palm OS will allow for the use of CacheMate, a popular caching app. 

I think in the longterm, though, that Microsoft is winning the PDA OS wars.  If you're wanting a new, bells&whistles unit, you might best go with a ipaq or something.

Thanks for the info, I was reading that 3rd party software will not support fully table formats in MS XL spreadsheets which would be a problem. Also I have quite an extensive home network system and need my PDA to integrate fully. I read a neat function where I can use my pocket pc to control my other PCs on my network which I find quite interesting.

Things I need

1- wifi

2- e600 compatible

3- windows compatiblity

4- expandability (SD card etc)

5- geocache software availibility

I think with this list my best bet is to go with a PocketPC right?

Just trying to get the right PDA the first time.

Edited by D0T-C0M
i dont really want a camera in mine. I was looking at the iPAQ rx3115

The only difference between the 3715 and the 3115 is the lack of camera, less memory (iPAQ File Store) and a slightly slower processor.

Memory isn't much of an issue as the iPAQ File Store is basically like a built-in SD card. You can't use it for program memory, or for main storage memory. It does survive hard resets though.

Unless you were going to be doing a lot of street navigation where you needed to calculate routes, I don't think processor speed is an issue either.

The price seems to be right for that unit. It is nice and small, compared to some of the other PocketPCs out there.

One think to keep in mind - HP will not be offering WM5 for these units. Just so you know going in.

I've been very happy with my 3715.

-al

Nuwati

Nuwati

what do you mean my GPS(e600) doesn't like USB? What is this universal connection?

PDAs and GPS's are both considered USB "slave" devices. They were not meant to communicate with each other, but directly with a PC which is a "master" on the USB bus. Since the Ex600 only has a USB connection, you're going to have a hard time having it communicate with anything but a PC via that interface. What exactly were you wanting to accomplish by having the PDA connected to the GPS? Perhaps someone can recommend an alternate way to get that done.

Keith

i dont really want a camera in mine. I was looking at the iPAQ rx3115

The only difference between the 3715 and the 3115 is the lack of camera, less memory (iPAQ File Store) and a slightly slower processor.

Memory isn't much of an issue as the iPAQ File Store is basically like a built-in SD card. You can't use it for program memory, or for main storage memory. It does survive hard resets though.

Unless you were going to be doing a lot of street navigation where you needed to calculate routes, I don't think processor speed is an issue either.

The price seems to be right for that unit. It is nice and small, compared to some of the other PocketPCs out there.

One think to keep in mind - HP will not be offering WM5 for these units. Just so you know going in.

I've been very happy with my 3715.

-al

so which PDA similar to the 3115 is going to get WM5?

so which PDA similar to the 3115 is going to get WM5?

The only older iPAQ that has upgrades to WM5 is the hx2000 series. The HP web site says an upgrade will be available for the hx4700 series this Spring.

All new model iPAQs (including the one I mentioned previously) ships with WM5, but are obviously more expensive.

-al