Emulating A Gps Screen

tonydenson

Just realised a conceptual problem here. My Garmin Etrex Summit always points at the waypoint becasue it knows which way it is being held (it has an ibuilt compass). This of course is not true of the PDA.

Yeah its a kick in the teeth when you start using a PDA after using the likes of a GPS with a proper built in electronic compass. You'll have to go back to the old school 'GPS DANCE' to get the pointer ...er pointing.

I have to say I have rarely use the pointer on the PDA I have found all recent caches with memorymap and its distance to target readout. This is with either displaying an OS map or with the fantastic aid of an aerial photograph.

Edited by stonefisk
I guess the point about MM is that if you have a sufficiently detailed map (25000) then you have a sense of which geographical direction the cache will be.

The distance to target becomes the more important reading than the pointer, just need get your mind around using the new arrangement.

On a side note, the aerial photograph in MemoryMap mostly provides that extra detail much better than the OS maps that is why is a great bonus to cache location whilst backing up the OS map.

Even after long period of time since the date of capture the surrounding land rarely changes that greatly. You can identify individual trees, buttress in walls and fences. The true lay of a footpath across a field rather than the OS suggested route and so on.

The other day whilst doing this GCRXDC cache I passed a corn field which had been all harvested apart from a strip left for pheasant run feed. I was blown away when looking at the aerial photograph to see the exact strip being displayed right there on a God knows how many year old photograph. Year in year out the farmer must leave this strip like that. I guess that example is only a helpful navigation at certains of year :lol:

os.jpg

aerial.jpg

I've never really looked at the aerial photos in MM. Are these that you are using the standard ones that come with the 25000 maps, and also, do you download just the bits you want to the PDA ?

Yes I am using the 1:25,000 aerial photos, think I have a fair chunk of the UK coverage on the PC (would have to check).

As for the PDA, I have simply drawn a track around the whole of the Wiltshire border (in two parts, east and west) and have installed that onto the SD card (Later MM allows this odd shaped to be sent to PDA rather than in big wasteful squares).

So yeah, I downloaded just the bits I frequently need...the whole of Wiltshire.

On the OS map side, the PDA holds quite a bit more. I have installed 1:50,000 maps of the following entire grid regions SO SP ST SU which covers my stomping ground and then some.

I have a few 1:25,000 OS maps but yet to have the opportunity to use them on the PDA.

That particular sample you uploaded looks somewhat better resolution than the 25000 ones I have with MM (Yorkshire Dales and Lake District), or is that just an optical illusion.

They are aerial photographs of the UK on a OS grid code basis (ST, TL, SO etc etc) under the copyright of "Getmapping plc & EVO Distribution Ltd".

I do not know if they are the same as the ones bundled with the OS 1:25000 maps.