Memory Map And Pda - Showing Caches

tonydenson

You're a Prmium Member of GC.COM so download your pocket queries and away you go..

I may be being a bit stupid, but I still don't understand what to do. I already run Pocket Queries and download the GPX file to GPXSonar, but I don't see how to get MM on my PDA to import the GPX waypoints.

You're a Prmium Member of GC.COM so download your pocket queries and away you go..

I may be being a bit stupid, but I still don't understand what to do. I already run Pocket Queries and download the GPX file to GPXSonar, but I don't see how to get MM on my PDA to import the GPX waypoints.

One tool to add to your kit is GSAK, this can suck in your PQ files and then do lots of formatting to output them in various forms including Memory Map and sending Data to GPS. This is well worth the £8 for the features it give you.

Moote

One tool to add to your kit is GSAK, this can suck in your PQ files and then do lots of formatting to output them in various forms including Memory Map and sending Data to GPS. This is well worth the £8 for the features it give you.

Moote

Thanks, but I do already use GSAK, but ideally what I want is to be able to download individual waypoints (or th ewhole file) as required from a GPX database already on my iPaq.

he has both

In that case, download a file of caches from geocacheuk.com in .mxf format, load it into Memory Map on the PC, then send the waypoint data directly to the PDA. Very simple.

Using GSAK, it's basically the same process, using a .mxf file again.

Or have I missed something?

HH

He has GSAK, so pop his PQ's in that and run the MM export or the improved one mentioned earlier. Then import into MM on PC and then send to PDA

Another way is to load the zip file to a GSAK database.

Export from GSAK to MM on the pc as a .csv file.

Then export visible to a MMO file - depending on the size of the area you wish to cache in.

Transfer the MMO file to the PDA (having already transfered the relevant map area to the PDA.

You need to use GSAK on your desktop. This can export caches to MM on the desktop. From there you can export them to the PDA.

We need a paperless caching event to teach everyone all these things, anyone fancy organizing one ?

Excellent idea, I'm up for it, I could do with a few pointers as I just seem to muddle along at the moment.

I believe they had such an event on the continent (Germany I think) last year so if anyone does take this up they may get some pointers from the organisers of that one.

You need to use GSAK on your desktop. This can export caches to MM on the desktop. From there you can export them to the PDA.

We need a paperless caching event to teach everyone all these things, anyone fancy organizing one ?

I'm happy to attend an event like this in a teaching capacity

Thinking about a caching event as a workshop for us technogeeks, I have come to the conclusion that we need a Midlands based cacher to organise a venue. This would make the travelling reasonable for most.

If someone is willing to step forward, I would also be happy to attend to pass on what I know, and to learn from the experiences of others.

I would also be willing to coordinate the volunteer instuctors to try and ensure we get enough equipment available, and to sort out what areas we need to cover.

Any takers ????

Spoke to Lathama yesterday and we think that the Lincs Cache Bash could be the very candidate for a PDA techno masterclass if all the kind offers of teaching and help are still there. Could any willing volunteers e-mail him direct to arrange things. Allcomers welcome - I'm sure that there are a lot of PDA/cachemate/GSAK/GPS questions that need answering!