Trap Door

Sculptor05

I’m new to Geocaching, so please forgive me if I’m bringing up an old topic for discussion. Let me also say, I’ve enjoyed my searches, often taking me to places in my own area that I’ve never been.

Here’s my dilemma: assuming I’ve programmed my GPS (an eTrex Legend) with the correct waypoints of the cache and I start my trek to the location. I use the zoom feature to narrow my search. Depending on the cloud cover, and, or both, the tree canopy, the margin of error at the closest zoom of 20 feet can be as much as 43 feet. With this kind of margin, the search area can be enormous, especially if you are looking for a micro-cache.

I enjoy the game, but after all it is a game, and one where the only rewards are strictly personal. I have been to locations where, with the margin of error, I would have had to devote hours to cover the terrain in order to overturn every rock and leaf. I’m asking, for those who choose, wouldn’t it be a good idea to offer a “trap door” (a programmers term) to pinpoint the location when all else fails? I don’t think this is any different than when a magazine or newspaper provides the answers to a crossword puzzle or a quiz.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

:rolleyes:

Well many of the hints are dead giveaways and you can often times look at the logs for spoilers. However, I don't think a person hiding a cache should HAVE TO include a trap door. I think it should be optional. It sounds like to me that you just went on a few caches that frustrated you. Why not start with some traditional caches with lower difficulty?

Edited by TrueRomance78

The more you do the better you get! Having an alternate location to get a hint for the real location is "highly reccomended" when a long hike in is required. Possibly a hidden note in the general cache area that says "If you can't find it go here for some help" ..... then you go back with a hint and start looking again. :huh: ImpalaBob

I use the zoom feature to narrow my search. Depending on the cloud cover, and, or both, the tree canopy, the margin of error at the closest zoom of 20 feet can be as much as 43 feet. With this kind of margin, the search area can be enormous, especially if you are looking for a micro-cache.

Great to have you in Geocaching, it's great fun.

My first thought is, having been there myself with a Legend, stop using the Map to search for the geocache. It's a great feature for navigating from a distance, but once you're actually on the hunt, do not try to find it while on the map screen, use the Compass and the GoTo feature instead.

Next, and this was beaten into my head by two different caches, when you get within 20-30 feet, stop looking at the GPSr and look for a place to set it down. Focusing on the GPSr made me DNF a cache twice before I realized that just because it says 0 feet doesn't mean it's zero feet. The cache description and hints (if any) are great resources, but don't forget past logs either.

Finally, don't worry only about micros. This is just my fourth month caching, and I have yet to start ignoring categorys of caches, but there are many people that ignore any cache listed as a micro because they just don't like finding them. This isn't quite like Pokemon and we don't have to cache them all :rolleyes:

But my main point is have fun. My favorite caches so far have been ones that frustrated me to no end while looking, but that made finding them so much better at the end.

Celticwulf

Give me a 30-50' circle, I'll find it. If I dont, I'll come back. Granted, there are alot of people who got started this year with christmas GPS and will freak out about little things while getting used to how variable this game is. People shouldn't expect that just because they have a GPS and eyeballs, they will find every cache they set out to. I only say this because I have noticed that as time goes by, the newer the cacher, the easier the find. Not always the physical hide, but giving it away with hints, hiding method, location, etc. This isn't supposed to be easy. Has anyone else noticed that people actually play using only Google Earth? No GPS. That's too easy. It also increases the chance of caches getting stolen or damaged by muggles. Someone mushroom hunting this spring would definately check out a neatly piled stack of sticks in the middle of the woods, regardless of how far from civilization you think you are. Once my GPS puts me on that X, I quit looking at it and start looking for hiding spots. Your GPS just gets you there, your brain does the rest.

I agree, flip through the pages on your GPS.

I use the map feature to get me close.

I check the feature which shows the sats and their strength (which changes all the time)

I compare the coords of the cache with where I am, and sometimes if I hold still for a bit (making sure my WAAS is on - tho some dont use this feature)

I get a better fix from the satellites. Once you get to a place. Stop using your GPS unit. Use your eyes to figure out what may be altered or does not belong. Some (most) of these people are pros at hiding their caches.

And the suggestion to try and find a REGULAR cache instead of a micro cache may make things easier for you until you get better.

I have less than 50 finds and am always amazed at the level of steath put into hiding som of these caches. Have faith, dont quit. And if you know someone with a ten year old kid, take 'em with you, or just a friend, or even another cacher in your area. It is nice to have a second pair of eyes with you when first starting out.

Interesting. I just looked at the OP's profile, which shows they joined in Nov 2005, have no caches listed, no trackables, and only the one post. I sincerely hope that they chose a new caching name and just put everything on that account--or have just been too busy to try again-- rather than walking away with no successful finds. I hate to think that anyone could be so frustrated that they just didn't try again.

I have to ask, for those who responded, and I do appreciate the time spent in replying, but did everybody miss my analogy about playing a crossword puzzle? Everyday, in thousands of papers across America, hundreds of thousands of people enjoy testing their skills in trying to solve a crossword puzzle, or a word jumble. There are no prizes given and no one knows if you cheated; it’s just done for the fun of it.

I’ve taken thousands of self-tests in my life, all of which have had the answer key provided, either upside down at the bottom of the page, or on a different page. It’s a quick way to ascertain your skill level and move on. Like Geocaching, these activities are just for fun.

I only have so many hours in a day for: work, household responsibilities, social interaction and exercise. I found out about Geocaching through a friend and I’ve had fun with it. I have 17 finds, none of which I’ve posted; why, because it’s only important to me. There seems to be a deviation from the typical self-test format - rather than allowing for a quick conformation, at the participant’s discretion.

I have to ask, for those who responded, and I do appreciate the time spent in replying, but did everybody miss my analogy about playing a crossword puzzle? Everyday, in thousands of papers across America, hundreds of thousands of people enjoy testing their skills in trying to solve a crossword puzzle, or a word jumble. There are no prizes given and no one knows if you cheated; it’s just done for the fun of it.

I’ve taken thousands of self-tests in my life, all of which have had the answer key provided, either upside down at the bottom of the page, or on a different page. It’s a quick way to ascertain your skill level and move on. Like Geocaching, these activities are just for fun.

I only have so many hours in a day for: work, household responsibilities, social interaction and exercise. I found out about Geocaching through a friend and I’ve had fun with it. I have 17 finds, none of which I’ve posted; why, because it’s only important to me. There seems to be a deviation from the typical self-test format - rather than allowing for a quick conformation, at the participant’s discretion.

There is nothing wrong with the idea of not logging online, but there is a fault in your logic based on crossword puzzles. The main reason for the online log is NOT to brag about numbers or anything like that, it is more of a way to give back some fun to the person who hid the cache. Realize that, while newspapers pay people to make the crossword and key, geocaching does not have that same system. Where the person who did the crossword for the paper only expects to have a job, the only "payment" that a person who has hidden a cache gets is a warm fuzzy based off the logs from finders. Yes, the paper logs are one form of this, but the online logs are another form that, in many ways, are a more permanent record of who found the cache and their experiences...mostly due to the fact caches can get muggled and paper logs can be destroyed. The database here on GC.com doesn't have those issues.

As I've said, there is nothing wrong with not logging your finds online, but I feel that once you've hidden some caches for others you'll see what I mean about the online log being a place not entirely for the finder, but mostly for the person who hid the cache. And without people hiding, we wouldn't have much to find :D

Great to see you're still around and enjoying Geocaching!

Celticwulf

I've gotten to the point where I can only get a good caching day in once every 2-3 weeks or so. Racking up a bunch of finds because they were easy (either by the hiding method or the giveaway clue) is fun, but, for the most part, not memorable.

My most memorable caches are the ones I made 2-4 trips for before I finally found them. Additional hints would have made them dead giveaways and I wouldn't remember them at all. As has been said, not all caches are meant to be found by all seekers. The 3 caches I'm most proud of finding have been found by a total of 4 people in the 2-3 years since they've been placed.

I hid a cache a month ago. I'm too lazy to post a link, but look for my 4/4 difficulty hide. My purpose in placing that specific cache was to make it difficult so more people would hopefully attempt it in groups like I recommend on the cache page. Already, two area cachers who had never met before teamed up and were FTF. :D

And while there's no requirement to log online, it's a version of the trap door. Seeing the last date that a cache is found or not found is sometimes the deciding factor on whether I attempt it. I won't drive 40 miles for a cache with 3 DNF's in a row, but I will for a cache that was found last week. Besides, you never know what hidden gems are contained in those logs for future finders.

I've hidden a few caches (in Georgia if you're interested) and I agree that the feedback (logs) are the reason I hide them. You should log your finds, you earned them. I've gotten emails from people that needed a hint and I have emailed/called hiders for hints. It's kind of an "okay, you got me" thing. It's also important to me for cache maintenance/tweaking.

I personally try to avoid micros unless I need a quick fix. I love the multi stage caches.

As others have said, get within 40 feet and just start hunting. The cache is the answer key. If you find it, you did it correctly.

... There seems to be a deviation from the typical self-test format - rather than allowing for a quick conformation, at the participant’s discretion.

That's because this isn't your typical crossword or sudoku. Take the suggestions to look for "regular" or (even "large") caches. If a particular cache stumps you, e-mail the owner for a hint. Some will be glad to oblige, some will ignore your request, and some will delight in your frustration! :-) We recently DNF'd one, emailed the owner because it must have been washed away in a recent heavy rain. He replied that it hadn't. So we'll try again. If we can't find it after a couple more tries, we'll ask for a hint. Above all, don't take it personally that you can't find something that some diabolical genius put out there!