Renew Your Car Tax Online

"Motorists can now renew their car tax online. The service uses the Motor Insurance Database to check that the car is insured and requiries the reference number from either the Vehicle Registation Certificate or the new style computerised MOT receipt. This can be easily identified as it is typed rather than handwritten." Computeractive Magazine 2-15 Feb 2006

DVLA

Edited by The Cache Hoppers
"Motorists can now renew their car tax online. The service uses the Motor Insurance Database to check that the car is insured and requiries the reference number from either the Vehicle Registation Certificate or the new style computerised MOT receipt. This can be easily identified as it is typed rather than handwritten." Computeractive Magazine 2-15 Feb 2006

DVLA

I did last month, but they won't let me renew a sorn vehicle though!

As an MOT testing station I can add some additional interesting facts to this thread;

When your car has been tested at a new computer MOT testing station your cars details are logged on the DVLA system by midnight that night. After this you can visit ANY CPU testing station countrywide and get a copy of the documents printed out for your car.

This includes failures and advisory notes. The benefit of this will be that in future you will be able to get reprints of all the vehicles previous MOT history.

Plus if you buy a vehicle on T'internet and lose its MOT certificate you can get a reproduction at your local testing station rather than having to go to the original tester.

This all makes the certificate redundant as all the details are on the database therefore you will not have to produce a certificate in the event of a road offence for instance because the police will know if your vehicle is tested or not.

And don't forget your insurance company will also know if your vehicle has a valid MOT and therefore they will default on claims made on an expired ticket.

Big Brother is Watching You!

I did last month, but they won't let me renew a sorn vehicle though!

Did not have to re-declare SORN before and now one does every year. :rolleyes:

I do not pay road tax on my landrover. I like getting the disc in person as the guy behind counter off throws it at me in disgust.

Edited by stonefisk

I always go to the post office to get my tax or present a SORN to which I get a recipt as proof due to the following. A couple of years after SORN came in I got slapped with a £60 fine as they had no record off me sending it to them, luckily I take copies of these things and sent them a letter of complaint with my photocopies complaining that I'd full filled me legal duty be sending in the SORN and it wasn't my problem that they'd or the post office had lost the record.

Receive a refund on the fine pretty quick after that

Living in a rural area like Cornwall I would urge everyone to put their local Post offices co-ords in their GPS and use the PO to get their cartax.

Only by using the local post office's will they stay viable and stay open. To many local PO's are shutting due to more and more benefits being paid into banks, and things like Cartax/TV licence etc now being availible online.

Living in a rural area like Cornwall I would urge everyone to put their local Post offices co-ords in their GPS and use the PO to get their cartax.

Only by using the local post office's will they stay viable and stay open. To many local PO's are shutting due to more and more benefits being paid into banks, and things like Cartax/TV licence etc now being availible online.

I feel that Post offices closing in part is due to their 1950's mentality.

Hello its 2006... IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE....

DO NOT CLOSE FOR MID-DAY LUNCH HOUR (only time office workers go out to use store)

DO NOT HAVE HALF DAY ON WEDNESDAY (wtf is that crap about in this day and age)

BE OPEN ON A SATURDAY ALL DAY.

DO NOT HIRE WANNIE HITLERS BEHIND COUNTER.

Hardly, if any small local post offices I have used over the years have been able to issue Road Tax, usually met with "Oh we don't do that here, have to go to main branch in town XYZ".

Fully sympathise because we live in rural sticksville Norfolk but I still find myself siding with Stonefisk.

I have a small post office in the local shop not 150m from our front door - but they also close lunchtimes, shut Saturdays and do not hold parcels or do the tax thing.

The business is, as it always has been, organised for the benefit of the suppliers of the service rather than the consumers (and paymasters). This ingrained attitude would doom any business to failure - and can only be imposed on consumers by a monopoly service supplier.

So... I will be registering both our cars electronically, save myself a 20 mile round trip and a couple of hours off work each time - and of course, it will generate more mail traffic so it's not all bad news.