Ever Accidentally Found A Letter Box?

Ramness

For the third time now I found a Letterbox today while looking for a Geocache. Just wondering how common an occurrence this is for other cachers in other parts of the country/world.

The one I found today had been there for 8 months and had been found by 4 geocachers but only 1 or 2 Letter Box Hunters. But there are of course much few Letter Boxes and hunters than caches and cachers. According to their website www.letterboxing.org there are only 374 Letterboxes in the state of GA, but 2975 caches.

Anyone else ever accidentally come across one?

I have not actually found it yet but I do know there is one about 30 or so feet away from a cache that I have found before. I even went and looked up the letterbox listing on that site and that write up even states there is a cache near by..kinda fun two people chose a great hiding place for two different sites. One a letterbox and one a geocache.

After I placed Three Billy Goats Gruff, finders started reporting a letterbox. Turns out the letterbox is all of maybe 10 feet away from the first stage, and I'd never seen it when I scoped out the hide. I contacted the box owner and offered to move the cache, but she graciously agreed that a double-header could be more fun for everybody. At her request, I added a reminder on the cache description not to take the stamp.

Finally happened to me while traveling for the holidays a month ago.  I was surprised that there are lame rest stop letterboxes.  An altoids tin hidden in plain sight, and soaking wet stamp log.  Fortunately, the cache was far more nicely hidden, about 25 feet away.

Tell them to stop copying us! :( Next thing you'l know there will be a letterbox under each walmart lightpost. :rolleyes:

Finally happened to me while traveling for the holidays a month ago.  I was surprised that there are lame rest stop letterboxes.  An altoids tin hidden in plain sight, and soaking wet stamp log.  Fortunately, the cache was far more nicely hidden, about 25 feet away.

Tell them to stop copying us! :( Next thing you'l know there will be a letterbox under each walmart lightpost. :rolleyes:

Them letterboxer people have a bit more class than us. They would never stoop to hiding a letterbox in a place like that! :(:):(:D

We have found two letterboxes that i can remember. One of them when i happened to see a few sticks piled up against a tree hollow making it look like someone had hidden a cache there. The other was found by Chicken while we were searching for a geocache in the same area.

It's happened to me a couple of times.

The first time I wasn't even geocaching. I accidentally stepped in dog poop and when I stepped of the trail to wipe my foot in the grass, there was a letterbox under the trail boardwalk.

The second time was 2 days ago. I was geocaching and the cache and letterbox were close together and I thought I had found the cache but it turned out to be a letterbox.

James

For the third time now I found a Letterbox today while looking for a Geocache.  Just wondering how common an occurrence this is for other cachers in other parts of the country/world. 

Haven't I seen you kicking around on XOC? :mad:

wandererrob (aka 2kxtra)

oh, and to answer the original question... nope, just a hybrid. But I should keep an eye out, perhaps even get me a stamp and start looking just for chuckles. Make the most of my time in the woods :mad:

Edited by wandererrob

We found one just yesterday while looking for 'Pine Ridge' in Missouri.The listed site was way off and we stumbled across a letter box that was literally right in the middle of the trail. A muggle(?) had just passed through the area and as we were walking in he said "If you are looking for something it is right around the corner on the trail." I knew it shouldn't have been just left there, but wasn't sure what to do with it. There was a nearby big tree that we nestled it in , and am right now trying to find the owner so I can notify them. I did get the coordinates to wereI placed it. Hope I did right.

I have accidently found them on at least 4 occasions that I can think of over the last year. Some of them were very close to caches. The cache hider did not know they were there, but people looking for the cache uncovered them. In another instance, the letterboxers apparently did not know the cache was already hidden there and they hid the letterbox near the cache.

In all cases, I was disappointed when I found that I had not really found the cache and had to keep looking.

For the third time now I found a Letterbox today while looking for a Geocache.  Just wondering how common an occurrence this is for other cachers in other parts of the country/world. 

Haven't I seen you kicking around on XOC? <_<

wandererrob (aka 2kxtra)

oh, and to answer the original question... nope, just a hybrid. But I should keep an eye out, perhaps even get me a stamp and start looking just for chuckles. Make the most of my time in the woods :ph34r:

Yup I've been Driving Xterras almost as long as I have been geocaching. I'm also the moderator of the Geocaching forum on XOC.

In one of the letterboxes I found several geocachers had claimed it as a find. If a cache owner learns of a letterbox is nearby it should probably be noted on the cache page to reduce confusion.

from my log... the cache is still active, but the coordinates have been modified to those that I used.

June 7, 2005 by edscott (832 found)

Finally found it on this my third trip. The coordinates are not very accurate and the nearby letterbox adds to the confusion. I got a new set of coordinates from the xxxxxxx. I went directly to these coordinates from my previous attack point which is a street corner only 100 meters away from the cache, and promptly signed in. Here is the picture. From the listed coordinates the cache is about 75 feet away at 205 degrees from true N. The letterbox is about 30 feet away at about 120 degrees. Better coordinates are 40 nn.nnn, -75 nn.nnn. Of course these are not supported by a GPS, but the photo doesn't bounce around as you hold it

One other potential factor. The cache happens to be very close to the edge of a USGS topo sheet and if that sheet and the adjoining one are butted to each other they do not match up well. Somewhere in the drafting there was a problem, however the photo of course is seamless and supports the "unofficial" coordinates.

Some of the "finders" of this cache are signed in here and others signed the letterbox.

Left a geocoin and took the travel bug.

Found a letterbox once while (fruitlessly) searching for the second stage of a multi. The letterbox and the multi have since been combined, and I'm going to have to go have another whack at them.

My own cache is in a location that I found while hunting for a letterbox. I never found it, but a number of people who've found my cache have mentioned that they found the remains of the letterbox. Sounds like there isn't much left of it. I even had to put a note on my cache page saying that if they found the sad-looking remains of a Tupperware, that WASN'T the cache. Can't believe I haven't found the darn thing yet...

I haven't found one yet, but many others have mentioned coming across one near a rest stop cache. I tried to find it when I went for the cache, but had no luck. One geocachers log stated that it was in a ziplock bag (a letterbag insteady of a letterbox?) so it could have been covered by snow and/or have been picked up as trash.

Letterboxing is quite popular here. Unfortunately, the most prolific hider is the least good at box maintenance.

I have found two letterboxes accidently. One was on my first day caching with hubby. It was quite a ways from the coords, but since we didn't find the cache, we had expanded our search pattern.

The second was two feet from the cache and had been listed as missing for several years! The person who logged FTF on the cache had actually found the letterbox and as a new cacher, didn't realize it. One would think that logging FTF at the end of a hundred stamps would give one a clue. Oh, well. Honest mistake I suppose.

I did not find any letterboxes by accident but I did find a cache while out looking for a place to hide a cache. It was the final stage in a night time multi. So I checked it then went home to log it. I then completed the previous stages so to give myself full credit. Didn't feel it was right to skip the previous stages just because I stumled upon the final.

We found one in Estes Park at the Stanley. We were out searching for a good spot to place one. Found a great spot.....but, what is this!!?? Doh! Already taken. We thought it was really cool to stumble on one. We put it back and covered it up, then placed our cache somewhere else. Most cachers that find ours will drive past the letterbox and not even know about it. Kinda like our little secret.

We have just started seeking letterboxes as we have found all the caches within a reasonable distance from home. The price of gas has put a crimp in our caching activities unless we are combining it with a planned trip.

It has also given us a chance to see how talented we are in carving our own stamp.

We have never found a letterbox while caching.

It's happened to me twice.

Once while scouting a location to place a cache in a nearby park. In the exact spot I was going to place my cache, I reached in and found a lock-and-lock with the Letter Box in it.

Then another time while searching for a cache in a small state park a few hundred miles from home, I found a letterbox. At first I thought it was the cache and only after signing the log did I realize I had the wrong box. The cache was hidden in exactly the same manner in the very NEXT tree.