Who Will Stop The Rain?

Wienerdog

Oh, boy! This rain is getting to us. Especially if the only time to cache is on the weekends. :D

Even though Mr WD and I are Seattle natives we are suffering. ;)

Today we found two caches that we could do without getting ourselves wet.

The first was Ravena Housing (GCQYDT) by OldBaldEagle. We were able to locate all the houses while staying warm and dry in our car. We confirmed by the checksum our coords were right and decided we would attempt the final on a drier day. But we got the legwork behind us.

The other was A Simple Multi, but a Long Drive (GCRV9N) by BHMP. It took us jumpin out of the car for a moment and finding the four coordinates to the cache. We were able to complete this one, as the final was VERY close to where we parked.

Both of these are perfect to do on these rainy days. At least it gets you out of the house and able to keep dry! ;) I will be able to use my sunglasses soon.

Thinking postive (yeah right!)

Ms WD

Edited by Wienerdog
I've been keeping REI in business on breathable rainwear so it's pretty much caching as usual for me! :) Aren't we glad caching is free? :rolleyes:

:D Oh yeah! Are you saying you have been shopping or caching in that Expensive Gortex?

Shoot I just ripped my very EXPENSIVE Gortex pants crawling over a chain-link fence into a baseball field in Arlington a few weeks ago! Well the gate was closed and Lajoie put out a bucket to help with the insanity. I still ripped my pants.

I didn't tell you about that Janna, when I saw you at the Cito Event last weekend did I?

:(:(:(

I know what you mean. It's been dang near -50F here. I'm just not up to caching if it is colder then -10. Oh well, spring is coming (in another 5 months...)

:rolleyes: My son is an Alaskan fisherman out of Pelican, Ak. Has his own boat and that's how he makes his living. He called the other day and said it was 10 degrees. He had been out fishing that day. Man, you have to be tough to do that. It must of been all the backbacking trips I took him on when he was a kid. Made him take baths in that glacial water. Yikes! Oh well he's a tough guy now!

I know what you mean.  It's been dang near -50F here.  I'm just not up to caching if it is colder then -10.  Oh well, spring is coming (in another 5 months...)

:rolleyes: My son is an Alaskan fisherman out of Pelican, Ak. Has his own boat and that's how he makes his living. He called the other day and said it was 10 degrees. He had been out fishing that day. Man, you have to be tough to do that. It must of been all the backbacking trips I took him on when he was a kid. Made him take baths in that glacial water. Yikes! Oh well he's a tough guy now!

Ah the coastal tropics lol. Still, they have wind down there. Does he cache?

Edited by 1stimestar
I've been keeping REI in business on breathable rainwear so it's pretty much caching as usual for me!  :)  Aren't we glad caching is free?  :(

:D Oh yeah! Are you saying you have been shopping or caching in that Expensive Gortex?

Shoot I just ripped my very EXPENSIVE Gortex pants crawling over a chain-link fence into a baseball field in Arlington a few weeks ago! Well the gate was closed and Lajoie put out a bucket to help with the insanity. I still ripped my pants.

I didn't tell you about that Janna, when I saw you at the Cito Event last weekend did I?

:rolleyes::(:(

That is what they make duct tape for. :(

Well, KidAce and I have the mentality that if you have a good umbrella and someplace warm to retreat to, the rain makes it that there are less muggles out there. We both go out with umbrellas, including a big gold umbrella that is very sturdy and assume we are going to get wet.

On the other hand, I think KidAce and I looked like drowned rats by the time we got to a friends place after some afternoon caching.

That being said, its a lot easier for both of us to get the steam to go out and cache with no rain.

Poppa J

I have found that once your out in the rain it's not that bad, the worst part is once you get back into the car and stop moving and have time to think about how wet you are. brrrr!

Kind of like sking, so long as your moving everything is great, but it sure does get cold sitting on the lift.

Of course we all got pretty spoiled last winter with the lack of rain and snow.

I know what you mean.  It's been dang near -50F here.  I'm just not up to caching if it is colder then -10.  Oh well, spring is coming (in another 5 months...)

:mad: My son is an Alaskan fisherman out of Pelican, Ak. Has his own boat and that's how he makes his living. He called the other day and said it was 10 degrees. He had been out fishing that day. Man, you have to be tough to do that. It must of been all the backbacking trips I took him on when he was a kid. Made him take baths in that glacial water. Yikes! Oh well he's a tough guy now!

Ah the coastal tropics lol. Still, they have wind down there. Does he cache?

No, he doesn't cache. You actually have to fly into Pelican via a floatplane.

I have found that once your out in the rain it's not that bad, the worst part is once you get back into the car and stop moving and have time to think about how wet you are. brrrr!

Kind of like sking, so long as your moving everything is great, but it sure does get cold sitting on the lift.

My wife and I have always said it harder to THINK about caching in the rain, then to cache in the rain. If I'm out there and it starts raining, rain coat on & continue caching. Sitting at home, warm and dry, looking at the rain - forget it!

My wife and I have always said it harder to THINK about caching in the rain, then to cache in the rain.  If I'm out there and it starts raining, rain coat on & continue caching.  Sitting at home, warm and dry, looking at the rain - forget it!

Precisely :mad:

I've been keeping REI in business on breathable rainwear so it's pretty much caching as usual for me!  :)  Aren't we glad caching is free?  <_<

;);):(

That is what they make duct tape for. :P

Do they make BLACK duct tape? I hate to have that silver showing. Especially where the loaction of the rip is! :ph34r: It doesn't match my outfit. :o Gosh, I sound like Miss Goody Two Shoes!

Well, KidAce and I have the mentality that if you have a good umbrella and someplace warm to retreat to, the rain makes it that there are less muggles out there. We both go out with umbrellas, including a big gold umbrella that is very sturdy and assume we are going to get wet.

On the other hand, I think KidAce and I looked like drowned rats by the time we got to a friends place after some afternoon caching.

That being said, its a lot easier for both of us to get the steam to go out and cache with no rain.

Poppa J

Well if you want to make sure the muggles notice you then you certainly should keep using the umbrellas! <_<

A little Gortex, some nylon pants, synthetic socks, t-shirt, etc., a hat, decent boots...just like summer, only colder, darker and wetter.

We like it that the rain usually means fewer muggles and it definately makes the hot chocolate taste better when we get home.

Do they make BLACK duct tape? I hate to have that silver showing. Especially where the loaction of the rip is! <_< It doesn't match my outfit. :ph34r: Gosh, I sound like Miss Goody Two Shoes!

Actually they make a ripstop tape the better for goretex, and it comes in all sorts of colors. Duct tape tends to 'slide' and leave a gummy residue around it. And,yes you can get it many colors.

Well, KidAce and I have the mentality that if you have a good umbrella and someplace warm to retreat to, the rain makes it that there are less muggles out there.  We both go out with umbrellas, including a big gold umbrella that is very sturdy and assume we are going to get wet.

Poppa J

Well if you want to make sure the muggles notice you then you certainly should keep using the umbrellas! <_<

That's true. Nothing screams 'non-native' like an umbrella. :ph34r:

*Note I actually dug mine out over the weekend*

Come cache in the Methow, no rain here <_<  Of course it DID snow a foot last night and is still comin' down pretty fast.  No, no.... on second thought don't try the passes  ;)  K&A

Hey, I'll be there in less than 2 weeks! Feb. 10 - be sure the passes are clear for me! :ph34r:

:o Are there lot's of cahes over ther Ab's?

Can you find them in the snow? :(

I've been going out, rain or shine. I've found 8 caches so far (started about a week ago), and every one but one was found in the pouring rain.

I've lived here for 35 years, and I've learned something: If you don't go outside in the rain, you don't go outside!

My son has been going out with me. At six, he can sometimes be a little unhappy with the rain, but in the right gear and with the right encouragement, he has a great time.

And there's always a warm cup of something or other and a game of chess at home! :rolleyes:

Come cache in the Methow, no rain here B)  Of course it DID snow a foot last night and is still comin' down pretty fast.  No, no.... on second thought don't try the passes  :rolleyes:  K&A

Hey, I'll be there in less than 2 weeks! Feb. 10 - be sure the passes are clear for me! ;)

;) Are there lot's of cahes over ther Ab's?

Can you find them in the snow? B)

Don't know about finding too many caches, but we're going over for the XC skiing and a biathlon event nearby. The Birdys have XC trails right outside their door!

Gosh, I sound like Miss Goody Two Shoes!

Why is that WD? Have you been hanging out with MGTS lately??? :D

;) Are you kidding? That girl drives me looney! I mean, I like shoes but come on!

Sorry MGTS. It not my style to slam anyone. I know you are doing your best. Maybe we SHOULD go shoe shopping someday. I do happen to love shoes, as my dear husband does DETEST! Can my friend Cathy (Pandora) and my sweet little Luce (Lucyand Rickie) come too?

Sorry MGTS. It not my style to slam anyone. I know you are doing your best. Maybe we SHOULD go shoe shopping someday. I do happen to love shoes, as my dear husband does DETEST! Can my friend Cathy (Pandora) and my sweet little Luce (Lucyand Rickie) come too?

You really HAVE been cooped up too long when you start talking to yourself....

Sorry MGTS. It not my style to slam anyone. I know you are doing your best. Maybe we SHOULD go shoe shopping someday. I do happen to love shoes, as my dear husband does DETEST!                                                                          Can my friend Cathy (Pandora) and my sweet little Luce (Lucyand Rickie) come too?

;) Ab's.... naughty girl...... tsk tsk! :D

Sorry MGTS. It not my style to slam anyone. I know you are doing your best. Maybe we SHOULD go shoe shopping someday. I do happen to love shoes, as my dear husband does DETEST!                                                                          Can my friend Cathy (Pandora) and my sweet little Luce (Lucyand Rickie) come too?

;) Ab's.... naughty girl...... tsk tsk! :D

Don't worry about it ... that is until you start answering back! :D

I've been moving into the new house and recovering from pertussis. No caching in the rain, just Blade schlepping heavy boxes. That and me peering out the windows sulking that it's too cold and wet for me to cache. *harumph*

You're getting over whooping cough and still want to go caching? Yeesh, get better first. ;)

My wife and I have always said it harder to THINK about caching in the rain, then to cache in the rain. If I'm out there and it starts raining, rain coat on & continue caching. Sitting at home, warm and dry, looking at the rain - forget it!

I'll second that. When me and the kids are going out its more difficult to get them out of the house. They forget about the rain for the most part once out.

Now the rain and 50mph winds we making me think twice today.

Poppa J

I've been moving into the new house and recovering from pertussis. No caching in the rain, just Blade schlepping heavy boxes. That and me peering out the windows sulking that it's too cold and wet for me to cache. *harumph*

You're getting over whooping cough and still want to go caching? Yeesh, get better first. ;)

Gotta have my fix, maaaaan! *withdrawl twitches*

Actually found out that two friends from a completely unrelated social group have just discovered caching, so we'll have the joy of addicting others to look forward to, heehee!