Locked Logs On Coins

TEAM DESERT EAGLE

I just noticed that two of my coins that I had made virtual, cannot be logged any more. Does anyone know why I cannot decide what to do with my own coins.

Mabey this is not the land of the free any more.

Mabey we should all bow to the mighty Groundspeak and ask for humble permission before deciding what to do with our own property.

I have never heard of something as stupid as this.

Next time I buy a new car mabey I should ask the dealer if there is a certain car wash that I am required to take it to.

My coin did not come with a set of instructions on what was, and was not allowed.

:D;):cute::lol:;););););):P:D

I just noticed that two of my coins that I had made virtual, cannot be logged any more. Does anyone know why I cannot decide what to do with my own coins.

Mabey we should all bow to the mighty Groundspeak and ask for humble permission before deciding what to do with our own property.

Next time I buy a new car mabey I should ask the dealer if there is a certain car wash that I am required to take it to.

My coin did not come with a set of instructions on what was, and was not allowed.

:D;):cute::lol:;););););):P:D

What do you mean in your words make virtual?

Send out a list to people you know that never physically touched the coin?

Is there a posted rule for this so that everyone knows this.

I have changed the page and expect that they will be reactivated.

I just assumed that I could do what I wanted with my own coin.

I did not give out someonelses coin numbers.

You can do what you want with your coin. But you can't abuse the resources of the site with regard to the intended nature of the TBs. I am not defending either side, just reiterating what I've read elsewhere (since you're likely not going to be able to search for that information anytime soon).

Putting the number of the coin on the page allows anyone who stumbles across that page (without ever visiting your profile) the ability to log the virtual coin. Unlikely perhaps, but possible nonetheless.

Here's what I found:

What is not allowed is the Virtual TB or Virtual Coin. By virtual we mean there is no physical bug/coin. It's still sitting home in a drawer, so it doesn't go lost, but someone passes out the number or displays it right on the page so any Tom, Dick or Harriet can log it anywhere they please, without ever having visited the cache or touched or even seen the bug/coin. Or the TB got lost, picked up, not moved, stolen, pilfered, pillaged, washed away, whatever and the owner turns it into a virtual bug, when what they should have done was send out the copy tag, or kiss that bug goodbye. Making it an invisible, non-existant thing is what we consider abuse of the system. Virtual geocoins for the sake of letting someone get another icon really isn't fair to those who get them in the honest, hard-caching manner. We do it the old fashioned way, we earn it!

Travel bugs or coins that you carry on your person and log into and out of caches to keep track of your miles are allowed. Travel bugs/coins that you carry with you to events and oh so nicely share the number with others are allowed. Leaving a number in a cache for others to write down is just silly, and ought not be allowed, they never see the item.

From this thread. It got more attention when somebody "grabbed" Jeremy's wife's TB - whoops. :D

Mabey we should all bow to the mighty Groundspeak and ask for  humble permission before deciding what to do with our own property.

:mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

This is a message posted in our Geo Buddies forum.

Virtual TB = Membership Cancellation

The links below take you to conversations from Jeremy that the virtual tbs and coins are illegal. If you are cought or reported you will have your membership cancelled. If you own a virtual item - remove it! If you logged a virtual item - stop! I am not sure how trading one-for-one would go but my advice is if you take/give a coin number than you you should give/take a coin number directly to the owner. As for tbs there is a virtual tb graveyard, you log the first as a find than after that a note. I would take this serious, I have a feeling as of '06 this could be hit upon hard. I know we all have done this, so please take this as a sign of help from one cacher to another.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=115249

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=114822

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=114953

This is exactly one of the situations I was referring to in my thread about “Tracking Numbers – what are we really getting”. You can say no “virtual coins” all you want on the gc site. But the fact remains that when I buy a trackable coin, I have NEVER seen or agreed to a terms of use or rental agreement. The way I see it, I bought the coin as well as the tracking service (when advertised as a “trackable” coin). I do not see where gs has the right to delete specific tracking numbers just because they do not agree with how the coin is being used.

As stated in my previous thread, I am NOT an advocate for virtual TB or coins, but this issue will (and has) affected some.

Edited by Rupert2
The links below take you to conversations from Jeremy that the virtual tbs and coins are illegal.

I think you need to go back and re-examine this statement. At least where I live, there are no local ordinances or state / federal laws pertaining to Travel Bugs or trackable Geocoins.

Jeremy may be good, but not that good. :mad:

Edited by Rupert2

actualy by paying the $1.50 per coin you agreed to any turms set forth by the owner of the tracking system, and those terms can change at any time. its kinda like buying a cd-rw or dvd-rw its not that you bought them to do anything illegal but if you copy a cd or dvd with out the studios/artist auhorization you have just broken the law. but you didnt read or sign any agreement that says that but if you read there website or call them and ask thats what you will be told. its called implied consent, you didnt know you were agreeing to it but by paying for the service you did.

So the 1.50 cost for the number is just rent??

That about sums it up. For all intents and purposes a coin listing is the same as a cache listing. You can do logs etc. and keep your listing so long as they follow the guidelines this site has.

The key difference is that Groundspeak does not charge for cache listings. Just travel bug and coin listings (aka tracking).

I will just say that I do NOT have a problem with the rules.

I just wish that it was made more public.

Since I do spend more time out on the cache hunt and not in the forums, I was not aware of this.

I have changed the pages and I am still waiting to see them unlocked.

Have you emailed them yet?

For the most part I agree with GC.com's rules/guidelines, but the whole Virtual TB/Coin lock out was handled very badly. They don't want Virtual TBs or coins, fine it's their site, but at least email people who have them and explain that. All they had to do was post a note on your TB's page telling you to stop having the TB be a Virtual or it will get locked out. Giving people the option of changing there bug first would have avoided a lot of anger, considering people payed for those numbers. Does anyone really think that those who made Virtual TB's thought they were abusing the system? I doubt it very much. Just locking them out with out a word or even explaining how to get them unlocked is a bad way of doing business.

I suggest doin what I plan on doing with my coins:

I will NOT release the coin itself.  I will release a photo copy of it.  That way if anyone takes it or loses it I can simply xerox the coin again and place in a cache.

That is one way you dont have to go virtual and still get your coin logged legally.

I've been doing my coins kinda like that except for mine are sticker copies on painted poker chips. I have received plenty of positive feedback about my proxy coins. It legal to use Proxy/Copy coins because the intent is to have them travel from cache to cache where someone can log the copy coin and move it along psychically from cache to cache, its kinda like sending out your copy of the travel bug tag. I pay good money for my coins and I rather not release the real coin and have it stolen and end up on that e-site. IF the copies get stolen I'll wait awhile and then release another copy. As long as this remains legal I will continue to do this, otherwise the coins are going event only.

Otherwise I will never go virtual by posting the number in a cache can or on the gc.com website. You have to hold on one of my above coins to get it.

Edited by sawblade5
QUOTE (WeatherednBoston @ Jan 29 2006, 06:35 PM)

I suggest doin what I plan on doing with my coins:

I will NOT release the coin itself.  I will release a photo copy of it.  That way if anyone takes it or loses it I can simply xerox the coin again and place in a cache.

That is one way you dont have to go virtual and still get your coin logged legally. 

QUOTE(sawblade5)

I've been doing my coins kinda like that except for mine are sticker copies on painted poker chips. I have received plenty of positive feedback about my proxy coins. It legal to use Proxy/Copy coins because the intent is to have them travel from cache to cache where someone can log the copy coin and move it along psychically from cache to cache, its kinda like sending out your copy of the travel bug tag. I pay good money for my coins and I rather not release the real coin and have it stolen and end up on that e-site. IF the copies get stolen I'll wait awhile and then release another copy. As long as this remains legal I will continue to do this, otherwise the coins are going event only.

Otherwise I will never go virtual by posting the number in a cache can or on the gc.com website. You have to hold on one of my above coins to get it.

If I came across one of these geocoin "copies", I would not log it. In fact, I would be a bit disappointed and upset if I saw an icon on the cache listing only to find a picture of the coin once I got there.

To me, it's a slap in the face which says, "I don't trust you. But if you want the privilege of increasing your numbers/icons, you may look but don't touch. Remember - I don't trust you."

I only have a small collection, but I bought some extras to travel. So far I have been lucky them. If/when they go missing, I'm not going to get angry, but rather I'll reflect on where they've been and what enjoyment they might have brought to somone else. I'd rather release a coin and have it go MIA than log a coin copy.

I'm sorry you fell that way, but that isn't gonna stop me from doing this. N one at teh KC tech event told me that they didn't like it. They're so many coin stealers out there that I am not willing to take a chance of sending an actual coin into the wild we had alot of them stolen around here.