Pure Junk ,,, Why Leave It?

Voigt54601

I'm kinda new to this, but sure am annoyed already by some of the pure junk people leave.

I found a pair of broken sun glasses, a plastic spoon I'd never use, and a frilly torn up flower.

This stuff looked like someone actually dug in the garbage to leave something, why do people do this?

If it's not something you value a little, why leave it in thinking someone else is going to find any value in it?

I saw one cache page where someone said "Trade up or even, no cache trash" ... shouldn't that be a GIVEN?

Don't even get me started on range golf balls ........ grrrr :D

Just hoping to better understand the thinking behind this ... when I go caching, I fill my pockets with stuff that didn't go well on ebay, but someone can use, and may really appreciate. I thought that was the point of trading. *shrug* (input valued)

Edited by Voigt54601
Don't even get me started on range golf balls ........ grrrr    :D

Some people like to find golf balls in caches. Seriously.

I guess the answer is that there is no good way to define what 'junk' is, since it's so subjective. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

<shrug>

I stopped paying close attention to cache contents a long time ago. I sometimes leave things, but rarely take anything other than travelers (which aren't trade items) anymore.

They may not have been broken, but the missing bow was not in there, so they were not placed in good shape to start with.

As far as the golf ball thing goes, I do golf, and wouldn't mind a brand new titlest or the like ... but people leave range balls, the ones with the colored stripe around it, as well, I've seen some that have even met the lawn mower :D

Thanks for the input, I'd still like for someone to step up and admit they leave that sort of thing, so I know what the thinking is behind it. But as someone earlier mentioned, if nobody is looking, bad things happen.

I'm ready to place my first cache in the wild ... is going to be a 3.5 gallon bucket and I'm filling it with stuff that I know is valuable, but didn't go well on ebay ... and I'm afraid to come back and find nothing but golf balls and poptops .... I'm still going to leave it though in hopes people will keep the theme. Keyword = hopes

When my wife and I first started caching we were excited about the "stuff." It seemed that you would be leaving a part of yourself behind for somebody to get and you would be taking something that was part of someone else.

Pretty quickly we decided to TNLN. For us it is about the hike, or the hide, or the history, or the puzzle or the people.

But it isn't about the stuff.

The 'junk' inside the cache is part of the game. Somehow you've got to find a way to deal with it ... Not that I've found very many caches compared to a lot of people in this sport, however the cache contents all start to look the same after awhile. Try and find another reason for geocaching other than the 'hidden treasure' aspect.

I have seen some stuff in caches that was obvious junk, and removed it. If I have any doubt about an item being junk, then I leave it. For example, out of date coupons are obviously useless to anyone.

GRRR!

So YOU'RE the one!

I collect out of date coupons! Sold one for a hundred dollars yesterday.

NOT :D

We have complained about this for years. The hard fact of reality is that it's been going on since the inception of this game, and apparently it isn't changing. :D

All you can do is your part. Leave something good, or don't leave or take anything.

Maybe one day this sport will be made up of fair traders, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

There are some out there that believe that the cache owner is responsible for keeping the cache full of trade items, but I disagree. If I place a cache full of good items, it's up to the community to keep it up to par. I'm not your personal Wal-Mart.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

There are people that trade an item that is just a little less nice than what they take or they take a good item and only have a alot of little items so they dump a bunch of the little things into the cache. Cache item value deteriorates over time, its a fact of life. I have said I will try to keep some nice items in my caches and I try to trade up. I don't mind the junk if its interesting, I just don't wanna see another Mctoy in a cache. Man I get tired of those things.

I used to get real frustrated at this as well, I often would end up simply trading up and not take anything.

Now, I barely even pay attention to the Swag. I'll look through it and everything, but I have turned to Signature Items as my Swag. I think they have so much more thought than what is often left. And they are fun to start collecting.

I used to get real frustrated at this as well, I often would end up simply trading up and not take anything.

Now, I barely even pay attention to the Swag. I'll look through it and everything, but I have turned to Signature Items as my Swag. I think they have so much more thought than what is often left. And they are fun to start collecting.

I do the same thing. I wasn't seeing anything I really wanted to take from the caches, but then started noticing the sig cards and decided to take one from each cache I find, and I always leave one of mine. I usually leave some other item(s) as well if it will fit, although sometimes I run out after a day of caching! :D

At some point one needs to just give up on trying to figure out why others play the way they do, and play the game in your own way. Sometimes you may need to bite the bullet, and bring a cache back up to the standard you would expect and leave it in good condition for the next finders. Many times I've had to leave with a pocket full of trash, and trade a half dozen nice items for it.

I know it may not be readily evident, but there could be some reasonable explanation for the condition. Who knows. It's too bad though that your experience is less than you would hope, hang in there, you'll find some great ones too.

I agree with what Write Shop Robert said.

Unless it's a nice signature item, a TB or something special, I rarely take any of the swag from caches. But I always leave something. Right now it is a pretty nice key chain and a fun little gimmick wallet. Bought a batch of 100 of each (new) for pennies each. I also leave a couple signature cards. I also always have a few higher value items in my pack in case I find a really good hide that needs some content improvement or I find a nice item I really want to trade for. It's not really very costly at all to do this and if more of us did it instead of getting discouraged and just always doing the "TNLN" thing, (like I used to do), :rolleyes: we might make a dent in the problem.

Seems like the problem is more common around here in urban caches. Most of the ones I have had to work hard for or hike up a mountain for, seem in pretty good shape.

Edited by Cheminer Will

If you begin to collect sig items (as many of us have) you'll soon discover that no matter how much or how little that may have cost to make, they each have the same trade value of some item that may be worth 2-3 dollars. That's how I feel when I find a new one.

My Gamecards cost me about 1 cent to 10 cents each to make, but since they are part of a collect and trade game with a prize worth about 10-12 dollars, they are each worth much more than their cost.

Now it's fun for me to leave a handful of Gamecards and other trade items, then go back on line in a few months and read about who took what!

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I prefer others to leave nice caches, of course, but I like seeing the little 1/2"-1" plastic animals - Thinking of starting a zoo collection :rolleyes: I also prefer to keep what I take, and not re-seed it in another cache. I'll eventually have a giant box full of trinkets from my travels, I imagine :(

TBs and G-Coins, though, I will pass on. I like the idea of them in the game. I currently have a hamster I got yesterday who came from Germany and is trying to get to Alaska. I'm going to move him as far north as I can get him in the next day or two.

I'm fairly new to GCing, but I really like the idea of signature items. After reading this thread and Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose's website, I'm planning on making my own signature whatnots :(

Great replies, thank you. Excellent food for thought.

I guess the only way to make sure trades are even is to camp at the cache all the time and police it, which is impossible. (as well, the tent would give the location away) lol

I'm still going to make my "ebay duds" cache and some of the items I plan on starting it off with are; a bag of 100+ buttons from local fests, 2 vases (glass), some beer items, some camping items, antique toys and maybe some tins. That stuff can only be valuable in the hands of someone that appreciates such, so hopefully the junk lovers won't ditch all my goodies for their cause. (I may leave some lottery tickets too, but may make that a separate cache ... the cash cache?)

Also in this cache will be my first travel bug. It's a NewOrleans 1970 'top of the mart' coin that I'm going to drill a hole in and attach a travel bug, hopefully that will make it all the way down the mississippi and back. (im in wisconsin on the Miss.)

I have nothing against golf balls, so long as they aren't used, or been run throw a lawn mower :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the replies, interesting. Can you explain more or show examples of sig items? thanks.

It's more about getting out and finding the cache, not what's IN it.  At least for me.  YMMV.

Well, it's sort of like if a friend invites you over for dinner. You go to enjoy the company; you're not expecting to be served a 5-star meal. And yet, you'd be pretty disgusted if they were to just scrape the contents of the compost bin or the leavings from the doggy dish and dump them on your plate.

You don't expect to see valuable stuff in a cache. But seeing old mildewed broken rotting rusting trash does tend to make the caching experience somewhat less enjoyable.

Reasonable stuff in a cache is a message from the owner or the previous finders: "Here's something we thought you might like!"

Trash in a cache is also a message from the person who left it: "I don't give a %&@$# about you or anybody else."

Even if you don't plan to take anything out, which message would you rather see?

I guess the answer is that there is no good way to define what 'junk' is, since it's so subjective. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

I see this response whenever this comes up.

Let's see. I did find sunglasses with one lens and earpiece missing. I guess a cyclops with one ear might find them useful.

I found a dirty diaper cover. Perhaps a geocacher could wash it and use it on their infant.

I found a filthy pair of work gloves with holes worn in the fingers. I guess the holes are useful for those who need to tie on fishing lures while keeping their hands warm.

I found a well chewed toy soldier. Hmmm, not sure of the uses for that one. Maybe give it to a teething baby?

Found a long expired Sanka coupon (older than the cache). Get enough of them and I guess you can wallpaper your den.

Found a metrocard with no rides left. Could be used to pick poppy seeds from your teeth after eating a bagel.

Found acorns (in a cache in a mostly oak forest).

Sorry, sometimes its just plain garbage that is left in caches. Caches are not trash disposals. If its garbage put it in a trash bin.

Edited by briansnat

I trade-out items that I find to be objectionable...few and far between...

I trash-out items that I find to be trash...relatively often...

I almost always leave more than I take (and the rest of the time I trade even)...

If I didn't want to play that way I wouldn't...I like to leave a cache in shape such that I would like for my son to find it.

Jamie

Edited by NFA

I trade-out items that I find to be objectionable...few and far between...

I trash-out items that I find to be trash...relatively often...

I almost always leave more than I take (and the rest of the time I trade even)...

If I didn't want to play that way I wouldn't...I like to leave a cache I would like for my son to find.

Jamie

I noticed someone's recent log for a cache near me that said "left a receipt from (a local burger chain)" - and I am not aware of this chain having any specials where you bring in an old receipt and get something for free. So what gives with something like that? I'm planning to seek this cache soon and try to figure it out.

The other day I found half of a football card. That's worth a lot on the open market. I also hate it when people leave a penny and take quarter, or something more valuble. Give me a break.

I've stopped trading items unless there is something that really looks interesting, like a map or something. When I think about leaving something in a cache, I talk myself out of it. If I leave something decent, somebody is going to take it and leave a used tissue or three pieces of confetti.

When my wife and I first started caching we were excited about the "stuff." It seemed that you would be leaving a part of yourself behind for somebody to get and you would be taking something that was part of someone else.

Pretty quickly we decided to TNLN. For us it is about the hike, or the hide, or the history, or the puzzle or the people.

But it isn't about the stuff.

I felt the same way and still, I do. I have long since given up trying to analyze the gifts that people leave, but I still enjoy looking at them; when I am not hurried, I will often read through the physical log, sometimes learning the identity of those cache garbage sprayers.

Yes, what you may leave in a cache is arguably a part of yourself. So is what you take significantly a sign of yourself. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The ingredients of a cache, like the log, are a reflection of those who have visited it, and greater yet, a mirror of society. Trying to cleanse or upgrade the items in a cache is as futile as attempting to cleanse our society, or to rewrite history.

It may not be pretty but it is reality and we must learn to live with that.

BTW, mostly I do not trade anymore. What does that tell you about me? :grin::grin:

Again, it's a problem as old as the game itself.

Our local group is pretty good at cache maintenance and most caches around here stay in decent shape. Occasionally a cache goes bad, usually as a result of the owner going missing.

Currently, I have a surplus of geocoins and I'll be dropping them in caches all year. The front of the coins bear the geocaching motto in (loosely translated) latin.

Mutuus Sursum Vel Mutuus Parilis, Trade Up or Trade Even.

I found a pair of broken sun glasses, a plastic spoon I'd never use, and a frilly torn up flower.

Well, the sun glasses probably weren't broken when they were left. If part was missing, its likely that someone removed it as just a 'piece of junk' that was in the cache, without realizing that the rest of it was there.

The plastic spoon is a bit odd. Might have been a muggle, or maybe it was part of something else. Depending on the details of the flower, it might also have gotten torn up over time.

Personally I've left a number of golf balls in caches. Normally they are ones I find on the way to the cache. They may be crap, but then again I know nothing about golf, or golf balls. I do know though that I used to get really excited when I was little if ever I found a golf ball. I used to play with it all day, and see how much I could get it to bounce.

I know for a fact that my little brother *loves* to find golf balls in caches. Its the only thing he ever trades for.

Personally I like to give most trades the benefit of the the doubt, but yeah, cache degredation is a fact of geocaching. Not much you can do about it.

It's sometimes pretty discouraging to see the so-called "cache trash", but we have a fun outlook on it. We'll always trade up, but more as a consideration to the cacher who placed it out there. Someone went through a lot of trouble to bring us a cache and a good time getting to it. So don't think about the small price you pay in trading up. Think about how much you saved by not being at a movie instead and the memories and pictures that will be priceless to you in the future. Besides, a nice cache prize might make the difference for that noobie who decides to keep at it and eventually put out a cache of their own. So throw in a little something extra for the cache owner, they deserve it! :grin:

Besides, a nice cache prize might make the difference for that noobie who decides to keep at it and eventually put out a cache of their own.

I totally agree with this.

I’m still a newbie too, but I do think cache hiders can control the contents of caches. My first cache was placed almost a year ago, and it and the subsequent ones are still in good shape. I’ve had finders place a bullet, bottle cap and ticket stubs for a game from the night before in my hides but other than those three, it seems the trades are fair. In only one cache have I ever had to add additional trade items, and that is because it is a small one and it is hard to find good small trade items.

Most of the cachers are new in this area, and they are trading by example. I feel sure if they had started off finding a bunch of junk in caches, then they would be trading junk. People learn by example, I think, and if most of the caches in a given area are well cared for then the new cachers will also care for them.

We all know that there will be new cachers after Christmas, I wish ALL cache hiders would make it a practice to spruce up their hides at this time so these new folks to our hobby will have good examples, instead of wet hides, with junk in them.

If it were standard to have good caches, you will have good finders.

JMHO

Jackie

Some suggestions for handling the inevitable deterioration of swag:

• Play archaeologist: Regard those odd, trashy items as interesting.
  • Visit only terrain 4+ or tough puzzle caches. Swag often accumulates and improves in these.
  • Become the local swag fairy, dropping some item of value into each needy cache you visit.
  • Remove any obvious trash from the caches you visit. A cache that is half full looks better than one that is half full of junk.

Or enjoy tsk-tsking at others' selfishness and lack of consideration :grin:

Edited by Mule Ears
Some suggestions for handling the inevitable deterioration of swag:

•  
  • Play archaeologist: Regard those odd, trashy items as interesting.

• Visit only terrain 4+ or tough puzzle caches. Swag often accumulates and improves in these.

• Become the local swag fairy, dropping some item of value into each needy cache you visit.

• Remove any obvious trash from the caches you visit. A cache that is half full looks better than one that is half full of junk.

Or enjoy tsk-tsking at others' selfishness and lack of consideration  :ph34r:

Thats what I want to be when I grow up ... the local swag fairy! :ph34r:

I cache with my grandchildren and I always leave something nice for what we have taken, but usually our youngest grandchild parts with her dear treasures that just might be a torn or ragged item. It is tresure to her and she is parting with something dear to her and of most value to her. It was so precious to her she was sharing. I do not have the heart to remove her chosen item. So I include plenty of good swag to accompany it, but the next finder might view her torn flower with disdain not realizing that the leather key chain or the pocket compass where also the items left by us. When I have the grandaughters I do not have timeto write lenthy logs telling of her treasure. This might explain some of the disdainful items

I cache with my grandchildren and I always leave something nice for what we have taken, but usually our youngest grandchild parts with her dear treasures that just might be a torn or ragged item.  It is tresure to her and  she is parting with something dear to her and of most value to her. It was so precious to her she was sharing.  I do not have the heart to remove her chosen item.  So I include plenty of good swag to accompany it, but the next finder might view her torn flower with disdain not realizing that the leather key chain or the pocket compass where also the items left by us.  When I have the grandaughters I do not have timeto write lenthy logs telling of her treasure.  This might explain some of the disdainful items

That makes perfect sense. And I'm sure that kids are often delighted by some of the weird and apparently worthless stuff in caches.

It's the adults who get hung up on the cost of swag items. I say cost instead of value because of the griping involves sneering at "McToys." These toys are colorful, clever, and usually keyed to the popular kid's movie of the moment. Comparable toys probably retail for around a buck. Why the sneering? Because adults know that they were had for free (with the purchase of a burger).

We usually TNLNSL, but sometimes leave GC-logo merchandise or bootlace lockers. I'm sure the kids would rather we left McToys!

It's the adults who get hung up on the cost of swag items. I say cost instead of value because of the griping involves sneering at "McToys." These toys are colorful, clever, and usually keyed to the popular kid's movie of the moment. Comparable toys probably retail for around a buck. Why the sneering? Because adults know that they were had for free (with the purchase of a burger).

Right now, I am leaving McToys - Neopets, specifically, as I have a bunch of them - for pretty much this same reason. I am new so I'm mostly seeking caches that families with children tend to go for, so I feel justified in leaving McToys. I think it's appropriate.

I'm ready to place my first cache in the wild ... is going to be a 3.5 gallon bucket and I'm filling it with stuff that I know is valuable, but didn't go well on ebay ... and I'm afraid to come back and find nothing but golf balls and poptops .... I'm still going to leave it though in hopes people will keep the theme. Keyword = hopes

Good LUCK! :ph34r: A cache theme will most likely only apply for the first 10 or so finds. After that everyone pretty much trades whatever they feel like trading. Trying to make a themed cache is a losing effort right from the start. My advise is not try and just put nice stuff in the cache to start. After 10-20 finds go back and check out what is left in the cache. If it looks like people are trading even up then GREAT.

My experience has been that the harder the cache the better the trade items will be. Harder caches will keep away the "Dash and Grab" crowd that typically does not trade well.

Ya, I don't have anything against people leaving toys, the kids gotta find neat things too, but if you take a nice vase, or keychain and leave something you got for free, that is not even trading, that is just one for one, period.

I wish we could have different grades of caches, sorted by age appropriateness.

I know that aint gonna happen, though.

Thanks RoyalRed, guess luck is what I'm gonna need.

:ph34r:

Right now, I am leaving McToys - Neopets, specifically, as I have a bunch of them - for pretty much this same reason. I am new so I'm mostly seeking caches that families with children tend to go for, so I feel justified in leaving McToys. I think it's appropriate.

Hey, I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'd love to find (new/clean) Neopets from McDonalds in a cache! :ph34r: It would also be neat to find a McDonald's My Little Pony toy... I collect both of those.

Just remember one man's junk is another man's treasure....

Golf balls are welcome at the Nineteenth Hole Travel Bug Depot & Golf Ball Retirement Home

I was on my way to a cache and I found hundreds of golf balls, just sitting on the ground

in the open. All of them had this little red stripe around them ! :ph34r:

Seriously, if the cache has junk in it, (in my opinion) then I might leave something

or not, but I log it and go on. The game is the hunt, otherwise, what good would Waymarking or Virtuals be ?

Be thankful you found it. Log it, log in on the web, say thanks. and move on.

You are not the Cache Police or the Cache Auditor.

Go find another cache.

We very rarely take anything from the caches we find and if we do, we try to leave something of equal value. But mostly, we are just in it for the thrill of getting out of the house and having fun doing it! We don't even usually look to see what is in the cache. The fun is just in finding it!

axetowax