Geocaching Pda Software

k9swx

Greetings to all! I've been lurking around here since June 2004 but have never actually gone looking for a geocache yet. However, a co-worker and I hid a cache here in town and it seems to be well-liked:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...47-5c16453e3f60

I don't like paper mainly because it takes up too much space and I eventually lose it. :D I bought a Dell Axim X30 pocket pc last year and use it for all sorts of things. I ordered a Holux GR-236 bluetooth GPS which should be here sometime this week, so I'm anxious to get started on my geocaching adventures. :D I guess the meaning of the post is to find out what PDA software you all use for geocaching. I asked around over on AximSite and got several responses:

BeelineGPS

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm

GPS Tuner

http://www.gpstuner.com

GPSXSonar

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

These all seem pretty nifty, but don't want to buy them all for $$$ reasons. (well GPSXSonar is freeware) BeelineGPS seems to be more geared towards geocaching than GPS Tuner. I guess I'd like to know which one you all prefer for geocaching? Also, is there anyway to bring in road/topo maps and overlay the geocache waypoints on them? (this would be nice if I'm just driving around and have an itch to find a cache)

Normally I'd do a detailed search before posting such questions, but the search feature appears to be under construction. Thanks for all the help!

-Stan

I'm a n00b to all this paperless info.  I just got a Treo 650 and am looking to add some software to it.  This is all I have found so far, I am sure there is more.  I will be  :D

Yeah, I saw that page too. I guess I'm just looking for some hands-on reviews from the geocaching community. Something that will handle GPX files would be good too. :D Thanks!

-Stan

I'm a n00b to all this paperless info. I just got a Treo 650 and am looking to add some software to it. This is all I have found so far, I am sure there is more. I will be :D

Not a "newbie" to PDA or Geocaching, however just started using my new Treo 650 about a week or so ago. I use GSAK on the PC to keep track of the caches and, just like on my opld Sony CLIE, I use Cachemate on the 650.

Combine this with the camera on the 650 and I now have the perfect compliment to my GPS for geocaching.

Here's what I have found...

I like a user friendly interface, and like you, I have a Pocket PC (Dell Axim X5).

COMP

GSAK is good, but I don't use it for much. If you want to filter caches on your desktop, it is the program for you.

PDA

Pocket PC's can't use CacheMate. On my pocket PC I have GPXSonar and MobiPocket. I have used them both, and here is what I've found.

GPXSonar is a little out there, not very user friendly.

MobiPocket has a really easy to use interface and is great. It looks just like this website and is easy to navigate!

Some people are against MobiPocket because of the memory it uses (Less than 1 MB) but since you have the PDA you have, Memory is no issue whatsoever. I'd go with MobiPocket.

DOWNLOADING WAYPOINTS

You can use GSAK, but EasyGPS is supposed to be effortless to download waypoints.

I have just bought GPSTuner which I find really good, still messing with the functions.

The only problem is it's a bit slow loading 200 caches on to the map! Hopefully V5 will sort that.

When they are there, it works great, I like to be able to start it up where ever I am and see if there are any caches in the area.

I use GPX Sonar for the actual paperless bit which is good although it lost all my notes and TB's when the dat file got corrupted. :huh:

For some reason my backup doesn't cover that directory!

I still use GPSMap OS which is really good as it shows the OS map with coords on it. At the moment you have to convert the NXX XX.XXX to British OS grids but I found it easily enough to do.

I tried BeeLine but couldn't get along with it. YMMV

All this is on a iPaq Hx4700 with Holux GPSlim236

Simon

Pocket PC's can't use CacheMate.

That'll be a myth soon enough, though :huh:

A version of CacheMate for Pocket PC will hopefully be going into a controlled beta release this weekend, as mentioned over here. While that's going on, I get to refit the website to sell Pocket PC software, and once the testing is over I'll be unleashing it.

Navigation and waypoint upload capabilities wont exist just yet, but at least it's a start.

I just started GeoCaching with my iPAQ and Teletype Bluetooth GPS. I currently use GPXSonar and GPS Tuner.

Not exactly sure what my thoughts are on GPS Tuner. It has several nice features, but when I gets down to getting right near the cache, I'm not entirely sure how well it does. Granted I've only used it 4-5 times.

I download the BeeLineGPS demo and will give that a try. I have several caches close to me so I can test it soon. Will let you know.

As far as searching, got to Google and enter this:

site:http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php

Follow that with whatever you want to search for.

-al