Team Names And Team Sizes

WeR3

Not sure anywaone cares but we have a team name WeR3. Each time we go out we have between 3 and 5 people however. Some differing friends and family members without Geocaching handles.

What is the protocol for team names and does it matter?

Thanks

I don't matter none to me. :D

But, one way that you may want to do it:

A local family has the number "3" in their name, for the mother, father, and younger son that are usually the ones that go out. But sometimes just dad and the son will go out and they'll sign the log by adding "-1" to the name. Sometimes the older son will go with them and they'll add "+1" to the name.

Like I said, though, it really doesn't matter. You do what you want in this game.

No, it doesn't matter.

That being said, My wife and daughter have no onterest in the 'logging' or other online aspects of the game. When I go caching alone, I sign the logs 'Semper Questio'. When either or both of them go with me, the log gets signed "Team Semper Questio". Most references to our geocaching experinces (as well as our logo and avatar) use the "Team" reference.

I could have up to 4 different kids with me any time I go geocaching so I do this:

Thorvingtons-C (me), B(daughter) & J(son) if we 3 go out. I babysit 2 kids so they are honourary Thorvingtons and I'll put Thorvingtons-C, B, J and KN & CN or something to that effect. If it's just me geocaching I"ll just sign Thorvingtons-C.

I don't think any one really cares who found it in the "team" or if it was just me but the kids like to see acknowledgement for their part of the search.

I'm still a newbie here, but I have been lurking for awhile. One thing I have been wondering, at what point does a team become to large to be reasonable?

For example I have seen some logs at gc.com where a dozen or more people would log that they were in a group and they all found the cache at once. Is it really honest to say you found a cache when you were in a group of 10 or more and someone 50 feet away from you yells out "here it is!" Then later at gc.com each one of them adds an individual find entry to the log.

Anyways, just wondering if that type behavior is frowned upon in geocaching or not.

--PathfinderRAM

I never saw the point of a "team" unless the same group always caches together.

Here's the point of a team: it is much easier to take the GPS on vacation or out into the woods now that my wife is a geocacher. She thought geocaching was pretty dumb when I was doing it solo. So I created a new team identify -- The Old Bet Brigade -- and made her a brigadeer. She still thinks geocaching is pretty dumb, but now that she is part of the team she absolutely adores the fact that she is much better at finding caches than I am. I use the GPS to close in on the cache. Five times out of six I am still wandering around in circles when she announces "here it is." Then it is my turn again, since she is reluctant to poke her hand into the yucky places where most woodland caches are hidden.

Seriously, caching as a team can make it a family adventure. Sure, we could each have our own GC.com logon and we could field test Magellan vs. Garmin every time out, but this togetherness thing works for us.

...but now that she is part of the team she absolutely adores the fact that she is much better at finding caches than I am.

Either this is the actual truth, or you discovered; as I did, that this is the easiest way to keep your caching partner interested! :ph34r::ph34r::huh::P:ph34r:

LOL!

Either way, it's all about having fun with your Team!

LOL...Mine certainly keeps score of who has found the most. What is it about these women :ph34r:

For example I have seen some logs at gc.com where a dozen or more people would log that they were in a group and they all found the cache at once. Is it really honest to say you found a cache when you were in a group of 10 or more and someone 50 feet away from you yells out "here it is!" Then later at gc.com each one of them adds an individual find entry to the log.

I'm not in a team, but if I was, I would definitely log it as a find, since I was there. Of course, I don't think a team should have more than three adults in it, personally. I know there are larger groups, but with a lot of people, finding the cache becomes too easy (in comparison to going alone). Maybe GC.com should provide a "team find" versoin of the "found it" log to differentiate the stats?

Either this is the actual truth, or you discovered; as I did, that this is the easiest way to keep your caching partner interested!

Alas, it is the absolute truth. She really does outcache me. I tried telling our (grown) son that I let her find the hides, but neither he nor she believe me. She is also rather tenacious. We rarely record a DNF when she is on the case, because she refuses to give up.

But, at the end of the day, team caching really does enhance the experience for us.

We made geocaching a family adventure by dividing into teams. Husband and son #1 (age 12), and me and son #2(age 10), son # 3(age 7) gets to go with either of us. We keep score of which team has the most finds, and have alot of fun teasing each other. ;) Alot of times we all go out together, then the cache is a 'credit' for both teams.

When we started geocaching, we didnt even use a gps. B) We would read through the logs and follow the 'clues' to the cache. This is a game that you can invest little or no money and still have LOTS of fun. ;)

Now we use a gps and I'm usually still walking in circles :rolleyes: when the kids call out 'found it'! B)

Its your game, so make up your own rules and have fun! B)

My name is plural because I intended it to be both my husband and I. In reality it's usually just me. . .but often with my dog. When I log my finds online I note if my dog Zoe, referred to as "Zoe-dog", is with me or if my husband, "the reluctant hubby", are with me. I'm the online person and I'm just not into logging it three times, me, the dog, and the hubby (yes, some dogs have their own accounts!).

Edited by hide & seekers

I'm still a newbie here, but I have been lurking for awhile. One thing I have been wondering, at what point does a team become to large to be reasonable?

Anyways, just wondering if that type behavior is frowned upon in geocaching or not.

--PathfinderRAM

I have geocached with groups. We have a thing that we call a "finder's tree". When someone spies the cache, they don't say anything, and sometimes keep looking for a bit. Then that person walks away (sometimes to a tree, but sometimes a rock, or whatever.) That person may claim that they have established a finder's tree, or they may just stand around looking smug until others realize that person has found the cache. Eventually, everyone gathers at the finder's tree(or rock, or whatever) and maybe harrasses the persons still searching. The last person to find it retrieves it and then all sign the log. That way everyone gets a chance. I've done this in groups of two also.

Bec

I have two girls, 5 and 11, and go with my cousin, who has 3 boys, 11 (twins) and 14. Were are from Porterville,CA, so as a team we are the Porter Villans. She goes by her name and I mine when it is time to sign the logs. She lives about 50 miles from me and we cache in her town more (hers is larger and has more caches than mine) so she and I often grab one here and there aside from our "Clown-car" attempts. I have a 4-door Ford pickup, and when we stop to search for a cache, it is really funny to see all those kids swarm out of the truck!

Our team efforts are mentioned in the logs we leave, not as a handle...