Appealing A Cache Submission

TeamTalan

My cache was not given a fair appraisal by our area reviewer, (S)he did not take the time to ask me how to resolve the problems (s)he was having in solving this puzzle themed cache and has archived it. I have submitted it to the appeals email address that was listed in the last reviewer's note, but have only gotten the computer generated response that they send to verify it's receipt.

It has been two weeks and I have heard nothing else from the "Court of Appeals". What else can I do?

Although our reviewer claims this cache to be unsolveable, I have enlisted the help of another area cacher to try to solve it, which she has. This other cacher has emailed the reviewer and has gotten no response. I have done the same with the same results.

What is my next step?

Since when was the reviewers ability to solve the puzzle part of listing guidelines?

There's more to the story than just that.

Jamie

Jamie,

You are correct. From the original post, I did not even recognize the cache that is at issue here. Once I read the cache page, it was instantly familiar as a cache that the reviewers had discussed in our private forum. Perhaps the OP could provide an accurate and complete summary of the history and the remaining issue.

Edited by Keystone
My cache was not given a fair appraisal by our area reviewer, (S)he did not take the time to ask me how to resolve the problems (s)he was having in solving this puzzle themed cache and has archived it. I have submitted it to the appeals email address that was listed in the last reviewer's note, but have only gotten the computer generated response that they send to verify it's receipt.

It has been two weeks and I have heard nothing else from the "Court of Appeals". What else can I do?

Probably not much. I never got a response from the "court of appeals" to messages I sent regarding my forum suspension a few months ago - just the automated response just like yours.

I never realized the reviewers have to solve the puzzles?!? :D For my couple of puzzle caches I sent the solution and final cords in with the cache submission.

Do the reviewers actually have the time to solve these suckers? That has nothing to do with reviewing the listing.Just send the reviewer the solution and get it listed.

No, the reviewer doesn't have to work through the puzzle solution. If that were true, no puzzle caches would ever be listed in my review territory. B)

That is not the issue with this cache.

I never realized the reviewers have to solve the puzzles?!?  :D  For my couple of puzzle caches I sent the solution and final cords in with the cache submission.

Do the reviewers actually have the time to solve these suckers? That has nothing to do with reviewing the listing.Just send the reviewer the solution and get it listed.

No, the reviewer doesn't have to work through the puzzle solution. If that were true, no puzzle caches would ever be listed in my review territory. ;)

That is not the issue with this cache.

Please tell me what the issue is then. It was never explained any further. Here is the last email I received from the reviewer:

Please forgive me for the untimely response.

I brought this cache to the attention of the other reviewers and only one of those that responded worked the puzzle. In that one case it was accomplished using an application that was already on board the PC. None, to my knowledge was able to work it with the java applet you suggest.

Since I've been unable to determine if this puzzle can in fact be solved without downloading special software I've sent this listing up to management for them to review. Hopefully you'll be hearing from them soon.

Any further questions regarding this cache please direct them to appeals@geocaching.com.

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Goecaching.com

Here is the cache. I imagine that the point of contention is the use of an applet on a website to decode the coordinates. New York Admin has stated that one of the other reviewers WAS able to solve the code. I have given this to my daughter's 12 year old friend and she has solved it. I have given this to another area cacher and SHE was able to solve it.

THE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT YOU MUST CLICK ON THE [sET] BUTTON NEXT TO EACH CATEGORY ENTRY. If you don't do this, it will not work.

Although the cache description is a bit longer, I will give you all the bare essentials.

ANOTHER ENIGMA is a 2 part multi-puzzle cache.

Part 1 is a code sheet with the following setting chart on it:

GEHEIM! SONDER-MASCHINENSCHLUSSEL: MARIAN REJEWSKI AUGUST 1944

------------------------------------------------------------------------

|Tag |UKW| Walzenlage |Ringstellung| Steckerverbindungen |

| 31 | B | IV V I | 14 13 25 | AG BH CD FV IM JR LT NO PY UW

| 30 | B | III I V | 19 17 06 | AQ DU EO FP GK MV NZ RY SX TW

| 29 | B | III II V | 17 05 13 | AS CO EZ FG HT IV JN KW LP MR

| 28 | B | III II V | 10 25 07 | AG BM CQ FW HX IP JO KR LN TU

| 27 | B | II I IV | 06 05 20 | AT BP CN DY EI GM JO LZ QS RU

| 26 | C | IV V II | 12 25 16 | AG BD CR EN FZ HT KW LQ MS UX

| 25 | B | V I IV | 03 04 26 | AM BU EQ FG IK JW LN OP RX TZ

| 24 | C | I II V | 21 11 23 | AC BL DW EJ GS IT MO NZ QU RY

| 23 | C | I III IV | 09 11 13 | AS BN CK DU GQ HT IR LX MP VY

| 22 | B | IV III I | 10 17 03 | BZ CD FH GI KU LX MV NQ PT RS

| 21 | B | IV V I | 14 11 24 | AT BC DZ GV HO JR LP NQ SU WX

| 20 | B | IV V I | 03 18 14 | AQ CZ EU FP GY HV JL NX OW RT

| 19 | C | IV I III | 25 25 24 | BV CY EM FK GN HI JZ LW PX QS

| 18 | C | I V IV | 25 20 05 | AQ BO CN DM EX GU KL PT SV YZ

| 17 | B | I IV V | 19 16 19 | CN DE FQ GL HT JZ KU MP RS WX

| 16 | C | IV I II | 04 04 15 | AT BR CW DH EF JO KL MX QV UY <<<<<<<HINT

| 15 | C | IV III V | 24 12 20 | AL BK CI DT FQ GO HY MN PZ SV

| 14 | B | V III II | 16 15 20 | BC DO ET GK IZ JY NS PU QV RW

| 13 | B | I III IV | 11 05 02 | BQ DV ER FO GJ IU KP LZ NW ST

| 12 | C | III II V | 24 12 18 | BQ CJ DZ EP FV HO IM KW NS TX

| 11 | B | I II V | 26 03 02 | BR CM DV EY FL GU IZ JP NX QT

| 10 | B | I II V | 18 15 12 | CL DJ EW FS GM HY IK OU QR TX

| 09 | C | IV III II | 12 12 25 | AN CW DH EM GJ IR KS LZ QT XY

| 08 | C | I V II | 23 10 03 | AF BC DX GO HT JP KR MW UZ VY

| 07 | C | III V IV | 19 09 01 | AK BS CX DE FZ GI JP LM QY TU

| 06 | B | II IV V | 02 11 18 | AE BR CX DM FT GI HJ KZ QU VY

| 05 | C | III V I | 17 03 03 | AI CT DJ FK GN HS MQ OR PU VX

| 04 | B | III I II | 19 08 12 | AG BH EV FP KZ LY MR NX QW TU

| 03 | B | I V III | 25 14 08 | AV BU CI DJ ER FZ GO LW MS QY

| 02 | B | II III IV | 16 05 19 | AE BS CJ DO FR GU IN KP VY WZ

| 01 | C | III IV II | 07 21 01 | AV CW DZ EO FS GX JN KP MT UY

Part of the challenge is to find out who broke the code of this Nazi code machine first (hint:he was Polish) and find out his birthdate. Using this date, you must use the machine's settings for that date from the chart above and enter them into the proper boxes on the Enigma applet machine at this site: Enigma Applet.

I'm sure that the people that NY Admin had try this might have neglected this vital step (and I know I'm repeating myself here): After each category entry HIT THE [sET] button! ;-)

Make sure that before you start entering the actual code, the letters "BPD" appear in the dial windows. Enter the following code:

JSJYQ QDKTV GFRJA JTJJK BGWFN

ULDPO UMNTR DMZHB UDFVL BIHGF

ERJTA ZPPXU DJPQZ DYJAW PEDTP

QZAHE HELAD Z

You can either cursor click the letters on the machine's keyboard or type them in using your computer keyboard and it will generate the coordinates with an "X" between each word. (Just as the Germans didduring it's use in WWII.) If you enter a wrong letter by accident, don't worry. If you go to the next letter and keep entering the code, you should still be able to figure it out. The alternative is to turn the 3rd dial back one letter and retype the correct letter and continue with the subsequent code letters.

Now that everyone knows how to do this, it won't be as much of a challenge, but I have put 3 months work into this cache (tailoring it as our reviewer has suggested)and if I cannot get an appeal to activate it, it will have to be religated to just another ammo can in the woods.

NY Admin has refused any further replies to my questions in regards to this cache. My emails go ignored.

The only other issue that I can imagine is with the strict NO DOWNLOADS REQUIRED rule. If someone doesn't have the compatible version of FlashPlayer, or whatever the applet runs on, some might not be able to get it to work. The one area cacher who solved this, could not get it to run on her work computer (possibly because of a firewall?), but had no trouble with doing it on her home computer (with no download necessary).

Email me at santa@stny.rr.com if you have a reply or questions.

Thanks for all of your help!

enter them into the proper boxes on the Enigma applet machine at this site: Enigma Applet.

This was the showstopper for me.

Ain't no way in HECK I'm gonna run an unknown application from an unknown website.

I don't know you. I don't know that you haven't programed in a virus or trojan. Even if the app is clean, I don't know your security, and what steps are taken to keep the app clean. In other words, IMNHO your cache as posted should not be listed.

enter them into the proper boxes on the Enigma applet machine at this site: Enigma Applet.

Ain't no way in HECK I'm gonna run an unknown application from an unknown website.

I don't know you. I don't know that you haven't programed in a virus or trojan. Even if the app is clean, I don't know your security, and what steps are taken to keep the app clean. In other words, IMNHO your cache as posted should not be listed.

I ran the program and plan to try to solve the puzzle using it, no ill effects here and neither the 2 anti-virus programs or the 3 spyware programs I run got upset with it.

That's the beauty of living in a free society. If people don't feel comfortable doing a cache, then they don't have to. I have two anti-virus programs that run in the background of my computer. The applet site is safe and I would not suggest it if I thought that it would endanger another GCer's computer.

There is another cache near me where a program must downloaded to solve it.

This applet is not a program and does not transfer any more information to a visitor's computer than any other web page you might visit on the internet. Taking your point to it's logical conclusion, ANY site that a person visits may contain a virus. You're saying that if someone even suggested a website to aid someone in solving a cache, this should be forbidden?

That's the beauty of living in a free society. If people don't feel comfortable doing a cache, then they don't have to. I have two anti-virus programs that run in the background of my computer. The applet site is safe and I would not suggest it if I thought that it would endanger another GCer's computer.

There is another cache near me where a program must downloaded to solve it.

This applet is not a program and does not transfer any more information to a visitor's computer than any other web page you might visit on the internet. Taking your point to it's logical conclusion, ANY site that a person visits may contain a virus. You're saying that if someone even suggested a website to aid someone in solving a cache, this should be forbidden?

Well, that is exactally how not to get your cache listed. This may be a free society but that doesn't mean it isn't without rules. If the reviewers don't feel comfortable listing your cache, then they don't have to allow it to be listed. It would help to work with them as much a possible. Is it really that unreasonable to be asked not to include a recomendation to use that specific webpage. Especially since there are other webpages that will accomplish the same thing and have a much lower risk of containing malicious code.

BTW: Java applets are programs and can contain malicious code. Also, running two anti-virus programs waste resourses and can cause false alarms.

The only other issue that I can imagine is with the strict NO DOWNLOADS REQUIRED rule. If someone doesn't have the compatible version of FlashPlayer, or whatever the applet runs on, some might not be able to get it to work. The one area cacher who solved this, could not get it to run on her work computer (possibly because of a firewall?), but had no trouble with doing it on her home computer (with no download necessary).

Because this is a Java applet, the person who wishes to view it must have the proper, or higher version of Java installed on their computer. Many people have really old versions on their computers due to not upgrading Java as it ages. No big deal for them, but they will not be able to access applets running under higher versions unless they downloaded the updated Java installation packages.

Also, Java can be turned off in your web browser, and many people either do this manually or have it done for them by their anti-spyware or virus utilities. Disabling Java on their browser will render this applet unviewable.

I would say remove the applet from the cache listing, and it should be okay. Looks pretty tough, too :rolleyes:

I think you're overthinking the puzzle cache idea. Do you want someone to find it or not?! :rolleyes:

As I posted before on numerous occasions such as this, your time would be better spent thinking up a new cache that appeases TPTB than to chase your tail in a vain attempt at getting this one approved.

If you really want to bust people's you know whats with that cache IMHO, take everything out of the cache page but the bare elements.

1. Posted coords do not take you to the cache

2. Paste the puzzle and any history about the puzzle

3. DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING RELATED TO DOWNLOADS

4. Post what type of container and what all is in it

5. Post a reviewer note saying you had permission to place the cache

Cross your fingers and hope

If people want to go online and find programs to solve codes let them, don't tell them to do it.

The only other issue that I can imagine is with the strict NO DOWNLOADS REQUIRED rule

Is this in the guidelines? I can't see it, but then I am not known for my great eyesight :rolleyes:

If it's not in the guidelines, then I have a question for any reviewers that are reading this thread:

Was there a problem with this SPECIFIC Java applet which meant the cache was disallowed? Or are Java applets IN GENERAL not allowed as part of a puzzle cache?

I've been planning a puzzle cache that involves playing a game in order to get the co-ordinates. The game would be a Java applet or possibly Flash. I can totally understand people not wanting to download standalone programs, but Java and Flash are a pretty standard web technologies which don't allow access to the user's local PC.

a puzzle cache is just that a puzzle, would you want someone to hande you a jigsaw puzzle and a solution sheet?

I rather see a puzzle and figure it out, not be like

here is the puzzle

here is what I used to make it

here is what you will need to solve it

I guess in a way I am bias because I own a puzzle cache where you have to solve like 5 ciphers to get the final coords and all I offer are hints not, "hey puzzle 1 is this cipher, try it" and so on.

**pushes my dusty soapbox back into hidden**

1st off...I think this is an excellent idea. I wish I could run the applet but I can't due to java being a 3 day long download for us with dialup internet.

What about making it a multi where the cacher must first find a cache filled with the paper Enigma machines? You could literally place hundreds of them in an ammo can. If this were near me I'd want to go after it and I don't like puzzle caches. This one in particular is really cool and has huge historical value.

Keep it up, tweak it till it gets aproved

How odd.  One of the best puzzle makers in our area listed a doozy that requires you to run a java applet to solve The Sphere.  No issues from the area reviewer, although I'm sure they are acquainted with each other and thus there is an element of trust.

One would hope there to be an element of trust that is built up over the course of a year of untarnished geocaching. Many of my other caches are based on history. Never a complaint about my placement, content, or method of solving them.

As far as the paper Enigma is concerned, it pales in comparison to what I want for this cache.

Thanks for your feedback.

This one does seem odd. There is another cache GCCF5E that is based on the enigma machine as well. It uses a javascript Enigma emulator that was considered acceptable so you might want to check it out.

Geocaching.com always says that a previously approved cache does not represent a precedent. That has always confused me because it leads to inconsitencies like these. In this case, the reviewer basically says it can't be solved not that there is a security concern, a concern with viruses, or a physical placement problem which would fit the no precidence concept. However, as Keystone has said, approvers shouldn't need to solve it for it to be approved. I can understand why this at least feels a bit arbitrary.

JDandDD

edited for grammar

Edited by JDandDD
...Geocaching.com always says that a previously approved cache does not represent a precedent. That has always confused me...

That rule is entirly to counter the argument of "Well this cache got approved so why can't mine." The point being that a proposed cache listing needs to meet the guidelines as they are now, not how they may have been then.

Of course in reality everone who has ever said "find a few first" is saying that other caches give a good idea about what's acceptable. It's the only school of hard knockes that we have. The guidelines say what not to do, the actual caches tell you want you can do.

It's a paradox.

...Geocaching.com always says that a previously approved cache does not represent a precedent. That has always confused me...

That rule is entirly to counter the argument of "Well this cache got approved so why can't mine." The point being that a proposed cache listing needs to meet the guidelines as they are now, not how they may have been then.

Of course in reality everone who has ever said "find a few first" is saying that other caches give a good idea about what's acceptable. It's the only school of hard knockes that we have. The guidelines say what not to do, the actual caches tell you want you can do.

It's a paradox.

It's an enigma :grin:

It's a paradox.

I agree Renegade and the rule makes sense from that perspective. It would help if the approvers, when someone points out the inconsistency, would provide why the rules have changed. In a case with a cache I did all I got was that a previous cache isn;t a precedent but nothing about what was wrong at the moment, even after asking for clarification. That made it impossible to figure out what was wrong. It does give the perception of arbitrary even when it may not be and that can be avoided with simple explanation.

You are also right on that it is a paradox to learn about the way to do appropriate caches is to find some even thought it may turn out that the old ones are now wrong.

JDandDD

I wish we had all the emails instead of just the last one. This issue seams like it would be resolved with just a bit of communication.

Did you ask the approver for some feedback as to how this could be published? Would you make the change if you were told that they would publish it without the link?

I wish we had all the emails instead of just the last one. This issue seams like it would be resolved with just a bit of communication.

Did you ask the approver for some feedback as to how this could be published? Would you make the change if you were told that they would publish it without the link?

The communications went back and forth for over a month. The cache was changed from a mandatory Simulator download to the applet, which the reviewer initially indicated to be prefered.

Here are the emails. You can see that the doors of communication slammed shut after the appeals email was listed. (The emails go from the bottom being the first, on up to the last.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

January 25 by TeamTalan (275 found)

I have written two notes to the appeals email and have gotten only the computer generated response from them.

I just used another computer to solve this myself and have enlisted the help of another local cacher to try to solve this as well. Team Aegis was given all of the same information that I have given you is working on it now.

It is hard to believe that you refuse to assist me in getting this cache finalized. Isn't one of your duties as a volunteer to help us out in that regard? Please let me know what else I can do to get this up and running. Surely, with all the reviews you must do each week, it is easy to lose sight of all the hard work that goes into these caches. Perhaps it has gotten as frustrating for you, in reviewing this particular cache, as it has been for me in trying to meet all your criteria.

I have put 3 months work into this and do not see an opportunity to get this resolved.

Could you please allow me to resolve the problems that you are having with the decoding applet?

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

January 18 by TeamTalan (275 found)

You must click on the "SET" button after each setting entry in order for each to register and save. The start position of the rotors have to read BPD in order for the machine to properly decode the message. These are common mistakes and add to the challenge of solving this cache. That's why it's difficulty rating is so high.

As long as the cache is in a safe and legal location, I don't understand the delay in this being activated simply based on the fact that a couple people took a few minutes and tried unsuccessfully to solve this. The decoder has been proven to work. If you need further step-by-step directions, I will be happy to furnish them. Please advise.

Thank you.

January 17 by TeamTalan (275 found)

Maybe you can break this to the other experts in a nice way:

I supplied my daughter's 12 year old friend with the same information that I furnished you with. It took her two tries, but she got the message decoded in less than fifteen minutes using the Enigma applet version. (One letter was a mis-type on her part, but if one letter is accidentally pressed, you can continue entering the other coded letters that follow ond still be able to figure out the coordinates.)

January 17 by New York Admin (0 found)

Please forgive me for the untimely response.

I brought this cache to the attention of the other reviewers and only one of those that responded worked the puzzle. In that one case it was accomplished using an application that was already on board the PC. None, to my knowledge was able to work it with the java applet you suggest.

Since I've been unable to determine if this puzzle can in fact be solved without downloading special software I've sent this listing up to management for them to review. Hopefully you'll be hearing from them soon.

Any further questions regarding this cache please direct them to appeals@geocaching.com.

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Goecaching.com

[view this log on a separate page]

January 17 by TeamTalan (275 found)

It has been 10 days since we submitted the final draft of this cache and 5 days since patience was requested of us. I don't think that we would be classified as impatient for inquiring as to the status of our cache at this point.

January 12 by New York Admin (0 found)

TeamTalan, Doc, Andy & Dirk please be patient while I share this with the other reviewers. That will ensure your new cache gets a fair and just review.

New York Admin

volunteer cache reviewer

goecaching.com

Second email response:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RE; Another Enigma

I sense another inquiry forthcoming. :-) Here is exactly what entries you need to plug into the applet Enigma.

After clicking the "SETTINGS" button you would enter the following for each line:

WHEEL ORDER.........412

RING SETTINGS.......4 4 15

STECKER PAIRS.......AT BR CW DH EF JO KL MX QV UY

INDICATOR SETTINGS..BPD

Then click "ADVANCED SETTINGS" and enter the following information:

NUMBER OF ROTORS....3

REFLECTOR...........C

(and the rest do not matter.)

You must click on the button after each enter in order for each to register and save.

Then click on the "MACHINE" button and type in the code that is listed on the cache page:

JSJYQ QDKTV GFRJA JTJJK BGWFN

ULDPO UMNTR DMZHB UDFVL BIHGF

ERJTA ZPPXU DJPQZ DYJAW PEDTP

QZAHE HELAD Z

Between each word of the coordinates is an "X" to separate them. That is what the Germans used to separate them even if a word was "SIX" it would appear decoded as XSIXX.

I hope that this has helped you with your decision to activate "ANOTHER ENIGMA".

TeamTalan

First email response

This will probably not show up very well in this email format so I will explain it as well as cut & paste it here. The codesheet is a printed & laminated page with the numbers and letters that were used to arrange the rotors and switches on the Enigma machine. The applet version is not as visually accurate as the original, but when these numbers and letters are entered into the correct boxes, and the code letters from the cache page are clicked onto the Enigma applet machine, the coordinates will show on the display.

Users must use the settings for Marian Rejewski's birth date on that sheet to generate the proper decryption. His birth date can be found on the web or in an encyclopedia (8/16/1905) as the man who broke the code first.

Here is the sheet. (If you need a printed copy, I can email an NAV scanned Microsoft Word version of it.)

GEHEIM! SONDER-MASCHINENSCHLUSSEL: MARIAN REJEWSKI AUGUST 1944

|Tag |UKW| Walzenlage |Ringstellung| Steckerverbindungen |

| 31 | B | IV V I | 14 13 25 | AG BH CD FV IM JR LT NO PY UW

| 30 | B | III I V | 19 17 06 | AQ DU EO FP GK MV NZ RY SX TW

| 29 | B | III II V | 17 05 13 | AS CO EZ FG HT IV JN KW LP MR

| 28 | B | III II V | 10 25 07 | AG BM CQ FW HX IP JO KR LN TU

| 27 | B | II I IV | 06 05 20 | AT BP CN DY EI GM JO LZ QS RU

| 26 | C | IV V II | 12 25 16 | AG BD CR EN FZ HT KW LQ MS UX

| 25 | B | V I IV | 03 04 26 | AM BU EQ FG IK JW LN OP RX TZ

| 24 | C | I II V | 21 11 23 | AC BL DW EJ GS IT MO NZ QU RY

| 23 | C | I III IV | 09 11 13 | AS BN CK DU GQ HT IR LX MP VY

| 22 | B | IV III I | 10 17 03 | BZ CD FH GI KU LX MV NQ PT RS

| 21 | B | IV V I | 14 11 24 | AT BC DZ GV HO JR LP NQ SU WX

| 20 | B | IV V I | 03 18 14 | AQ CZ EU FP GY HV JL NX OW RT

| 19 | C | IV I III | 25 25 24 | BV CY EM FK GN HI JZ LW PX QS

| 18 | C | I V IV | 25 20 05 | AQ BO CN DM EX GU KL PT SV YZ

| 17 | B | I IV V | 19 16 19 | CN DE FQ GL HT JZ KU MP RS WX

| 16 | C | IV I II | 04 04 15 | AT BR CW DH EF JO KL MX QV UY

| 15 | C | IV III V | 24 12 20 | AL BK CI DT FQ GO HY MN PZ SV

| 14 | B | V III II | 16 15 20 | BC DO ET GK IZ JY NS PU QV RW

| 13 | B | I III IV | 11 05 02 | BQ DV ER FO GJ IU KP LZ NW ST

| 12 | C | III II V | 24 12 18 | BQ CJ DZ EP FV HO IM KW NS TX

| 11 | B | I II V | 26 03 02 | BR CM DV EY FL GU IZ JP NX QT

| 10 | B | I II V | 18 15 12 | CL DJ EW FS GM HY IK OU QR TX

| 09 | C | IV III II | 12 12 25 | AN CW DH EM GJ IR KS LZ QT XY

| 08 | C | I V II | 23 10 03 | AF BC DX GO HT JP KR MW UZ VY

| 07 | C | III V IV | 19 09 01 | AK BS CX DE FZ GI JP LM QY TU

| 06 | B | II IV V | 02 11 18 | AE BR CX DM FT GI HJ KZ QU VY

| 05 | C | III V I | 17 03 03 | AI CT DJ FK GN HS MQ OR PU VX

| 04 | B | III I II | 19 08 12 | AG BH EV FP KZ LY MR NX QW TU

| 03 | B | I V III | 25 14 08 | AV BU CI DJ ER FZ GO LW MS QY

| 02 | B | II III IV | 16 05 19 | AE BS CJ DO FR GU IN KP VY WZ

| 01 | C | III IV II | 07 21 01 | AV CW DZ EO FS GX JN KP MT UY

As you can see, there might be a bit of research involved to figure out what numbers go where, but if I could figure it out (with a little help), anyone can!

Thanks!

January 10 by New York Admin (0 found)

Glad to see you came up with an alternative to the enigma simulator application. Could you please tell me what's on the "code sheet" in the micro?

Thanks,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

NOTE: do not select reply in your e-mail program to respond to this message from the geocaching.com mail bot. Go to your cache page and e-mail New York Admin from the log there or email me directly at newyorkadmin@gmail.com, referencing the cache URL, or waypoint number. Also, do not remove any admin notes as they aid other Geocaching.com admins if they need to work with you on your cache.

January 7 by TeamTalan (275 found)

As Ripraff has done with their puzzle in the cache "Fifteen" (GCQD3M), I have directed cachers to a website that has an applet version of Enigma. This runs independent of itself on my website and does NOT require any transfer of files or programs to the visitor's computer. Is this acceptable?

January 4 by New York Admin (0 found)

I'm sorry but requiring someone to run special software on their computer to find a cache is not allowed. You providing them the software on a disk is no different than downloading it from the Internet, its not allowed.

Any further discussions regarding the requirement of downloading or installing software as a requirement to search out a cache please direct them to appeals@geocaching.com.

New York Admin

volunteer cache reviewer

goecaching.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Email response from cache owner:

RE: Another Enigma

I still have not found in all the rules where it forbids the downloading of programs to solve a cache. Could you direct me to the specific section?

After thinking about it further though, I have found a way to circumvent the need to download the program. Let me run it by you now so I don't waste more of both our time. What if I put the program on a series of disks. The Enigma Simulator can be opened on the disk such that it will not have to be downloaded to operate. The disks would be placed in an additional cache (made part of this multi) and cacher can return them to the container when finished. Is that acceptable? If so, could you De-archive the cache so I can continue to work on it?

Thank you.

January 4 by New York Admin (0 found)

Requiring others to download and install software in order to find a cache is not permitted for obvious reasons.

Since you have already stated "There is no way around it" I'm archiving this listing. Feel free to recycle it into your next cache.

New York Admin

volunteer cache reviewer

goecaching.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Email from cache owner;

Please don't tell me that there is a rule prohibiting the mandatory downloading of programs to solve a cache. All the work that has gone into this cache will have been for nothing. There is no way around it. If it is stated in the cache description that it is required, then this will give cachers the option of downloading any programs or choosing not to do it. An additional reminder could be added to scan any program they use with reputable antivirus software to ensure it's integrity.

Rest assured that I would not suggest or encourage any fellow cacher to use a program that would endanger their computer.

Please let me know what else, if anything, you need from me to help you in your review of this cache.

Thanks,

Pat Harding

TeamTalan

January 3 by New York Admin (0 found)

Hi, I'm reviewing this cache for posting on geocaching.com, but first I need to know more about how the cache is actually hidden to make sure it meets the guidelines published at (visit link)

Is it at all possible to find this cache without downloading and installing software. If yes please explain in full detail how to solve the puzzle and arrive at the coordinates. If there's an enigma machine nearby which is freely available to the general public I'll need to know that too. Your cache page must make it clear searchers are NOT required to download and install software to their computers.

I'm placing this cache on hold awaiting your response. Should you chose to not respond this cache will be archived in two weeks.

Thanks,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

NOTE: do not select reply in your e-mail program to respond to this message from the geocaching.com mail bot. Go to your cache page and e-mail New York Admin from the log there or email me directly at newyorkadmin@gmail.com, referencing the cache URL, or waypoint number. Also, do not remove any admin notes as they aid other Geocaching.com admins if they need to work with you on your cache.

December 31, 2005 by TeamTalan (275 found)

Part 1 is located at the above coordinates. The codesheet that will be found there has the settings for an Enigma simulator that can be downloaded from Dirk Rijmenant's website (see above background image URL). Once the proper settings are entered, it will direct cachers to the following coordinates:

N 42 07.816

W075 59.361

Part 1 is hidden behind the trail sign in a resting shed within this county park.

Part 2 is an ammo can hidden in a fallen tree within the same park.

Parking is off road at the trail head.

So I turned "Another Enigma" into "The Cache That Would Have Been Challenging" and transformed it into just another can in the woods.

I created this as another cache, as New York Admin archived the original and ignored my email requests for assistance where that one was concerned.

After 2 days of waiting I get this Reviewers Note:

February 2 by New York Admin (0 found)

Hi ,

I am one of the volunteer cache reviewers for Geocaching.com. I was just reviewing your recent submission.

From your cache description, I cannot tell if you have a log book in your cache or not. The log book is considered an essential part of a cache, and is required for a cache to be posted on Geocaching.com.

According to the guidelines at (visit link) :

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("microcache") too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache.

If there is already a logbook in your cache, then simply email me at newyorkadmin@gmail.com and let me know. I'll be happy to finish the review of your new cache.

If there is not a logbook in the cache, then please go back and add one.

I'm placing this cache on hold awaiting your response. Should you chose to not respond this cache will be archived in two weeks.

Thanks for your understanding,

New York Admin

Volunteer cache reviewer

Geocaching.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone ever been asked this question after submitting a cache, or should I take this as another jab on this reviewer's part?

Incidentally, I am not the only area cacher who feels as though this reviewer is unreasonable at times. I'm just the only one dumb enough to air my thoughts regarding his/her behavior in the forum. :D

<snip>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone ever been asked this question after submitting a cache, or should I take this as another jab on this reviewer's part?

Incidentally, I am not the only area cacher who feels as though this reviewer is unreasonable at times.  I'm just the only one dumb enough to air my thoughts regarding his/her behavior in the forum.  :D

something to remember. We look at so many caches in a week that we don't have time to worry about making trouble for a cacher. I use that statement a lot. If I have some reason to think there might not be a log book, I ask. Its not an attempt to goad you into an argument. It is an attempt to do a good job listing caches. Relax and let the guy do his job.

BTW, comments like you made on the cache page to the reviewer are not needed. We really don't need to grief. It is our job to list caches. we are happy when we can. Be nice to the guy. He is doing this for free and for a love of the game.

Edited by CO Admin
<snip>

Incidentally, I am not the only area cacher who feels as though this reviewer is unreasonable at times.  I'm just the only one dumb enough to air my thoughts regarding his/her behavior in the forum.  :o

something to remember. We look at so many caches in a week that we don't have time to worry about making trouble for a cacher. I use that statement a lot. If I have some reason to think there might not be a log book, I ask. Its not an attempt to goad you into an argument. It is an attempt to do a good job listing caches. Relax and let the guy do his job.

BTW, comments like you made on the cache page to the reviewer are not needed. We really don't need to grief. It is our job to list caches. we are happy when we can. Be nice to the guy. He is doing this for free and for a love of the game.

Co Admin, I think we all understand that for the most part the reviewers try their best and I certainly appreciate the difficulty that they are under and am thankful they are willing to do the job. But I think we also would agree that some reviewers tend to be a bit over zealous at times as well. They are human so it happens.

However, the main questions for me in this particular case are that the reveiwer objects about two things that are no where to be found on the Guidelines page.

The volunteer reviewer had trouble because no reviewer could supposedly solve the puzzle (they don't have to able to do so). Then the objection is that software had to be downloaded to users computers. While I agree that this is reasonable the reviewer says that is "not allowed". No where on the guidelines page is that mentioned.

If these are truly requirements and rules they should be on the Guidelines page. It is quite reasonable for a submitter to think that someone is being arbitrary when unwritten rules are being enforced. The principle should be write them down if they are essential.

Also, courtesy goes both ways. Both the cacher and reviewer should be aware when they are pressing each others buttons. Yes the cacher should watch their tone and you are right about that, but frankly after the lenghty exchange to get picky about the logbook was something that could easily be seen as only ending up being inflammatory. There doesn't appear to be any reason to ask about the logbook so why ask if it isn't essential. I'll acccept that its likely an unintentional escalation of the situation but it leaves the impression of just finding another way to hassle the user. Reviewers need to think of the impact of what they do and use good judgement about pressing an issue when it isn't required.

JDandDD

Psst:

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing.

Obviously, its not perfectly on point, but it is a short hop from there.

Edited by sbell111
Psst:
The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing.

True enough, but that doesn't say the reviewer has to be able to solve it. There are people who are great at puzzles and some, like me, who have more difficulty. I can solve some and not others. Same would be true for the reviewers and their inability to solve it isn't a requirment.

JDandDD

<snip>

Incidentally, I am not the only area cacher who feels as though this reviewer is unreasonable at times.  I'm just the only one dumb enough to air my thoughts regarding his/her behavior in the forum.  :o

Co Admin, I think we all understand that for the most part the reviewers try their best and I certainly appreciate the difficulty that they are under and am thankful they are willing to do the job. But I think we also would agree that some reviewers tend to be a bit over zealous at times as well. They are human so it happens.

However, the main questions for me in this particular case are that the reveiwer objects about two things that are no where to be found on the Guidelines page.

The volunteer reviewer had trouble because no reviewer could supposedly solve the puzzle (they don't have to able to do so). Then the objection is that software had to be downloaded to users computers. While I agree that this is reasonable the reviewer says that is "not allowed". No where on the guidelines page is that mentioned.

If these are truly requirements and rules they should be on the Guidelines page. It is quite reasonable for a submitter to think that someone is being arbitrary when unwritten rules are being enforced. The principle should be write them down if they are essential.

Also, courtesy goes both ways. Both the cacher and reviewer should be aware when they are pressing each others buttons. Yes the cacher should watch their tone and you are right about that, but frankly after the lenghty exchange to get picky about the logbook was something that could easily be seen as only ending up being inflammatory. There doesn't appear to be any reason to ask about the logbook so why ask if it isn't essential. I'll acccept that its likely an unintentional escalation of the situation but it leaves the impression of just finding another way to hassle the user. Reviewers need to think of the impact of what they do and use good judgement about pressing an issue when it isn't required.

JDandDD

My response was about your question regarding the log book. That is all I was responding to.

Psst:

This guy sbell knows the listing guidelines. They make 'em smart down in Tennessee.

Although our reviewer claims this cache to be unsolveable, I have enlisted the help of another area cacher to try to solve it, which she has. This other cacher has emailed the reviewer and has gotten no response. I have done the same with the same results.

What is my next step?

The last time that one of my decisions was appealed, there was a lag time of more than six weeks before a Groundspeak employee provided feedback. (By the way, my decision was correct, but my tone in communicating with the cache owner was snarky. I appreciated the feedback as it helps me to do a better job.)

So, please be patient. There are many cache issues that Groundspeak deals with every day. Bomb squad calls, cache pirate complaints, travel bug abductors, adoption requests, land manager inquiries, sock puppet investigations and a host of other things all compete for attention.

Well.. what on the cache page would give the admin the idea that there wasn't a logbook?

Did you put a code- or password in the cache for people to confirm their finds?

Jamie

This guy JamieZ asks good questions. They make 'em smart down in Tennessee.

Yes, but neither did the admin say why they were concerned about no log book. Does everybody who places a cache specifically say that it has a log book. :o Obviously not. So the admin should also say what specifically concerns them.

Yes the cacher should also have answered but my main point is about courtesy to each other and it goes both ways. Tell the person what the specific problem with the listing is.

I had a problem like that with a couple of caches. If the reviewers had simply told me that geocaching no longer accepted virtuals I wouldn't have had a problem. However, I got statements that gave me all kinds of conditions to meet but never said that they weren't being considered. A simple statement would have prevented all the frustration that built up.

JDandDD