Collecting And Caching Come Together...

tannerz05

ok.. more input is needed, and I thought I would start a new thread for this idea to gauge interest. Please offer thoughts on the concept and even the artwork.

Info:

first run is 500

This is a 2 coin set, kind of like a multi cache...

The set sells for around $10.00 including shipping for both coins.

silver coin:

trackable, 2d, 2 sided, no color

Gold coin:

trackable, 2d, 2 sided 10 color front 4 color back

When you purchase the coin set you get the silver coin. You must place it in a cache, and it must be logged and picked up by someone else. Once it has been logged as picked up you send an e-mail to that effect, and the gold coin is shipped out. Win/Win as I see it, a coin is cached, and a coin is collected.

The first run is a specific dated coin, limited run 500, all will be sold, as I am not trying to fund a personal coin, just get more coins traveling...

4up.jpg

This is just a rough draft of the first design, it can, and more than likely will change before this experiment gets under way...

and swapcoin.com is my domain, but is not active yet. It will only have instructions on what to do with this coin, and how to order more. I am not a collector, nor in the business of selling coins for profit.

Any ideas, or comments certainly welcome... Will this work??

no, I do not have a date or timeline in order, no I am not taking pre-orders, yes I do believe in santa clause...

Good Idea but I still see one flaw that would be easy to fix. Are you planning ot mint the same number of both coins? Most collectors would want one of the silver coins to keep too. I would like to Have a gold coin which means that I would have to buy a set then place the silver coin to get the gold. Then I don't have a silver coin so I'd have to pay for another set at $10 and you would only be shipping one coin for the second set. This would be easily rectified by offering to sell the 2 piece set alone (for those who have no interest in keeping a silver coin or who already have released a set and want to start a second set) and also offering to sell a 3 coin set of 2 silver and one gold (while still shipping the gold after one of the two silvers is placed and logged.)

This would be easily rectified by offering to sell the 2 piece set alone (for those who have no interest in keeping a silver coin or who already have released a set and want to start a second set) and also offering to sell a 3 coin set of 2 silver and one gold (while still shipping the gold after one of the two silvers is placed and logged.)

You must be a lawyer (or was one in a past life) :lol:

Sounds like one of those lawyer speak contracts!! :lol:

1st party to the 2nd party, except in the case of the 1st party is responsible to the 3rd party.....

:D:drama::cool:

When you purchase the coin set you get the silver coin. You must place it in a cache, and it must be logged and picked up by someone else. Once it has been logged as picked up you send an e-mail to that effect, and the gold coin is shipped out.

From the coin:

This is a traveling coin. Please keep it traveling. This is the second coin of a two coin set. To get the collector coin, please visit swapcoin.com

So, is the cacher that found the SILVER coin going to be able to get a copy of the sencond coin? :lol:

If not, then this needs to be changed to something else, because that's what I would think if I found this coin. If it's only intended for the original coin buyer, maybe include a printout of this text now on the coin with the silver coin?

-------------------------------

So... If I understand correctly :lol: When I order, I ONLY get the silver coin? :D

The "only way" I can get the GOLD coin (that I've already paid for) is if the silver is placed in a cache AND logged by another cacher as being picked up.

What if the silver is never logged as being picked up? :drama:

How do I get my GOLD coin? (That I've already paid for)

I don't think I would buy these with the thought that I could in all actuality pay for nothing. With the requirement that the Silver gets logged before I get my GOLD, I can easily see me standing with nothing for my $$ because someone thought the Siver was just another trade item and didn't log it. (or was new to Geocaching and just didn't know what to do with it)

Sorry... I'd have to pass on this one (as it is now).

D-man :cool:

as ParentsofSAM assumed, the 3 coin set would have to be around 15.00. I did think about that before, but with all of the reading around here about the ever increasing cost of coins, I thought 15 was a bit steep... what would some of you guess the number on 3 coin purchasers? 150? 250?

thanks for the input..

Bill

gridlox,

I can see your point as to the wording on the silver coin.. I will change it so it is more clear...

correct on the idea, when you order, you only get the silver coin, until it is cached and logged.... I do see your point about not getting anything... would you (and anyone else with similar reservations) be more inclined with say an expiration date on the cached caveat? Say 30 days from ship date, or cache movement, whichever comes first, then the gold is shipped?

Do you have any other thoughts/suggestions on a remedy for your concerns?

I could see this happening:

Cacher #1 buys silver coin and drops it into cache.

Cacher #2, who's a good friend of Cacher #1, is caching with Cahcer #1 and immediately picks up silver coin, logs it, then gives it back to Cacher #1.

Since silver coin has been logged, gold coin is now shipped to Cacher #1.

Cacher #1 now has a silver and gold, with no more movement on the silver.

I could see this happening:

Cacher #1 buys silver coin and drops it into cache.

Cacher #2, who's a good friend of Cacher #1, is caching with Cahcer #1 and immediately picks up silver coin, logs it, then gives it back to Cacher #1.

Since silver coin has been logged, gold coin is now shipped to Cacher #1.

Cacher #1 now has a silver and gold, with no more movement on the silver.

Exactly...

Or... Cacher #1 places the silver in a cache of his/her own, pulls the coin out and keeps his/her coin. Makes a 2nd GC.com name and logs that they picked it up.....

Gold one is in the mail. Cacher #1 has both coins.

I understand both of those scenarios, but was planning on a more committed, honest community. Will it happen, of course. The main goal is to get more coins circulating in the wild. I think even a 50% circulation rate is a major success...

I think the pain that certain cachers have with the idea of an activated, and gasp!, a logged geocoin being a part of their collection my get them to buy 2 silvers. Stick to your plan of basically sending a "Free" gold coin if they cache their silver one. For $20 the rabid collectors can have 1 of each coin and the warm-fuzzy feeling of having cached a coin.

personally I would rather buy the three coin set, receiving the two silvers first and after caching one of them then receive the gold. if going that route limit it one set per cacher and do something like 500 silver and 250 gold to keep the 2:1 ratio in place but thats just my $ .02 worth.

tannerz05 Posted: Jan 28 2006, 12:08 PM

Geocacher

as ParentsofSAM assumed, the 3 coin set would have to be around 15.00. I did think about that before, but with all of the reading around here about the ever increasing cost of coins, I thought 15 was a bit steep... what would some of you guess the number on 3 coin purchasers? 150? 250?

thanks for the input..

Bill

$15 for three coins well actually two wouldn't be horrible as that would be $7.50 apeice plus shipping.

Edited by Dreamin'Eagle

I have a real life example for you pdx...

I was given someone's trackable personal coin to activate, give a goal and release. I did that back in september. A cacher that knows me picked it up and held it for nearly 4 months. It just recently got put back out into a cache and it had to be pried away from him by another good friend. If friends will do this, can you honestly expect strangers to move the coins?

Coins are just doomed to fail in caches. Period.