Sad News For NJ Geocachers

Keystone

The NNJC website will have a post and paypal button for those who want to donate to a fund set up for the girls. We felt it would be a nice gesture to donate a check on behalf of NNJC together as a group rather than individuals.

Brian and Natalie have placed a tribute: Helmut's Cache

I would also like to place one which will have some of his famous geochips in for people to pay their respects and share a chip.

I am organizing a gathering in three to four weeks time at the popular Ruby Tuesday's. The event information is to follow.

Mark

Avroair

This still all seems so unreal <_<

While my heart was heavy - the pictures were uplifting and reminded me of how he embraced life and enjoyed his time with his family and friends.

That is so important and a tribute to Helmut and the importance he placed on his family. So many of us are so involved in our jobs and problems that we forget how important these times are. Helmut knew that.

The first time I met him was in April of 2002. I had headed out at my lunch hour to find a cache not real far from work. I encountered Helmut (as most us have) with his girls. Being a somewhat shy guy he kind of avoided me but eventually we all wound up in the same spot. He introduced himself and mentioned that he had taken the day off from work to go geocaching with his kids. I remember thinking at the time how nice a thing that was.

I hope after the shock is over that his family can take some solace in the fact that they were able to spend so much quality time together. I also hope that his passing will remind those of us who are so wrapped up in bringing home the bread to remember that its not the bread your family wants, its you.

Thanks for the lesson Helmut. I'm listening.

I do not have the words at hand to express my condolences to the Mueller family on their loss. I had the pleasure of attending several events Helmut attended, he even hosted one of them. I also had the honor of attending his 1000th cache find event and being on hand for the surprise being sprung on him, what a trip. What did he do? Scoot off to find the cache, of course!

Helmut was one of the great cachers I have met and one I looked up to. His energy and tenacity in pursuing caches (with his faithful, Autumn, of course!) gave me inspiration to get off my @#$#%, uh, rear end, and do something physical - geocaching. I can understand his love for it.

My heartfelt prayers go out to his family. Helmut was one of a kind and will be sorely missed; his memory will be cherished.

Kane (aka klizich)

I met Helmut and his girls for the first time in July 2004 at thePirates of Harriman event. It was my first picnic event I had planned and spent two months endlessly preparing themed caches and activities.

Helmut, Ashley, Nikki, Taylor and Autumn walked up to my sign-in booth and a shy gentleman extended his hand and said to me "My name is Helmut of Skully and Mulder, thank you very much for organizing such an awesome event. The girls and I are thrilled to be here." His tone was quiet, but moved mountains for a nervous novice who worried no one would ever like his silly Pirate themed event. The vote of confidence from a caching legend meant the world to me and I am glad Helmut shared such a simple yet meaningful compliment.

Life is about sharing moments and the more of them we share the closer we get to eachother. Helmut knew that better than anyone. Sharing his love of hiking and geocaching with his family and sharing his family with Rose and myself.

I remember fondly his love for snakes; catching them, diving after them and sharing them with the group on hikes, and allowing Taylor and Nikki time to spend with Rose drawing silly pictures at the dinner table.

And all that is a good thing.

Thank you for the shared moments. Rest in peace.

Mark

Avroair

Edited by avroair

I went to the wake last night. I brought some pictures with me that I pulled off geocaching.com and put them in a frame for his girls. I thought I would have something to say, but I coudn't find many words. Just that he will be missed by all of us. Seeing all the photos they had gathered only proves that Helmut lived life to its fullest.

Last nights wake was the hardest one I think I've yet had to attend. There were so many friends and family there that it was like waiting at Disney World going through the zig zag maze you wait in to get inside. Helmut and his family have touched so many in a positive way.

The first thing Liz his wife said to me was "How are the girls?", meaning my 2 daughters that are about the same ages as her younger 2 daughters. That simple question during her time of immense grief exemplifies that family and how they interacted with others. It was never about them.

Someone last night, and I don't remember who, mentioned how much work it will be for Liz to raise 3 girls on her own. I thought for a moment and I said something like "Well Helmut sure helped her get started with them going in the right direction."

I never saw Helmut, his wife or his 3 great girls when they weren't smiling, even when climbing up some steep cliff following Jonboy. Seeing them yesterday without smiles on their faces was just heartbreaking. The fun they had together while geocaching (along with everything else they did together) was evident in the tremendous amount of pictures that documented their adventures.

Though I would have rather spent the next 40 years meeting Helmut on the trail or at events and getting to watch his daughters continue to grow up, I'm glad I was lucky enough to have met and been introduced to such a fine man and family. For that I'm thankful.

I just heard the new this morning and I am truly shocked.

Skully was a great guy. I met him and his crew twice on the trails and 3 or 4 times at events. When I started geocaching the Skully crew only had a few more finds than me but I remember how he had told me at an event that he initially did not take cache contents and placement too seriously and just threw what ever was around in the cache but then he got hooked and he upgraded all his caches and when he placed new ones they were always top notch.

I know he will be missed by all of us.

My deepest condolences to his family and his geocaching partner Autumn.

Edited by orange

Klizich called me this morning with the sad news. I immediately went to the forum to read all the posts and to add my condolences to Helmut's family, and to the hundreds of friends he's made as a geocacher. I have been active in the sport for a year now and always looked forward to the adventure, and the scenery, of a Skully & Mulder hunt. I only met Helut once but consider myself fortunate for the experience.

I think the idea of a geocoin in his honor is a wonderful idea and a perfect way to donate to the trust fund. I was not surprised to see that Avroair already has an event in mind for similar purpose. Those of us in NNJ will sorely miss him but know that he will hike the trails with us every time we venture out!

Hemut, we know that you have now hiked the perfect trail and have found the eternal cache site. God's love to all of the Mueller family.

-Mark

(Ramsey LtD)

I have just lately found out about the tragic death of Helmut. I only met him a few times, but I was left with the impression of a really nice guy who was always thinking of his family. I offer my condolences to his family and add my voice to those who remember him as a truly good man.

okay...This is Ashley Mueller, some of you know who I am..I am 14 years old and I am the daughter of Helmut Mueller. This forum was very nice of everyone, and since Sunday (when Thad showed me how to check the forum) I have been checking it at least twice a day. I still can't believe this is happening.

I saw many of the cachers last night at the wake, and planet brought a nice picture frame with a few pictures of my dad hiking. He loved this geocaching so much. As some of you know the Funeral Home was packed last night, there was so many people there. My dad had so many friends.

I miss him so much already and im sure most of you do too. Me my mom and my sisters are doing okay but we will miss him very very much, and I know i can speak from Nikki Taylor and Autumn when I say we will miss geocaching with my daddy.

thank you everybody,

-Ashley

One of Helmut's and his girls' cache was the first I did with my children about two years ago and a friendship was formed. After locating his house, I just stopped in out of the blue and his wife, Liz, said she had just sold him for 1 dollar! He came out of the shed, and we talked for some to me about caching. I studied his caches and how others enjoyed them so I began to hide them with his help at first and soon formed my own style. We got together often and looked for each other on Rt 80 as we drove home from work. We started caching together when we could and talked about placing a cache or two together up behind his new house. Liz and I planned his 1000th cache find party, and I loved the surprise he got at his party. Helmut found himself selling two houses and having a new one built, that took a lot of his time and energy. I stopped in and called on his cell phone just to bug him and get him to laugh and told him "Liz told me to get you out of the house" so we did go caching here and there. It's amazing how many times I had to remind him to get his walking stick! He would look at me and just say "I'm out of control" and hopefully let out one of his grand laughs. I will miss Helmut and way we talked about life in the woods. We both shared our thoughts and adventures - like the time he took Liz caching and also losing his cell phone on the trail. The funeral was touching today, and the moment when Liz stretched out her hand just to touch his coffin as it passed by put a picture in my mind of 1000 words. I will miss Helmut, his words and that grand laugh will travel with me as I cache and hike the highlands of NJ. Loved you like my brother... Thadd-Treequest

Edited by treequest

Dear Ashley,

As a parent of a daughter about your age, I wanted you to know that you and your family will be in the hearts and on the minds of many people here for a long time to come. It seems that your father was a very kind gentleman and a great father, and time can never take that away. Take good care of your mother, she will need you girls to be strong for her sometimes, so she can be strong for you when you need it.

Make sure you tell her you love her every day, and always remember the wonderful gift your father has given you: you have the perfect model of how to be a terrific parent, yourself, one day. That is the greatest possible tribute. God bless.

-Denali

Ashley and family.

So Sorry to hear of your loss. It is also a loss to the geocaching community at large. I had the distinct privilage to meet and talk to your dad before his car broke down on the 3rd Annual 2004 NJ Statewide Cache Hunt. Our community will miss him immensly. As you comprehend this profound loss...let yourself cry knowing each tear is a note of love rising to the heavens.

I am organizing a gathering in three to four weeks time at the popular Ruby Tuesday's. The event information is to follow.

i definately agree an event would be nice so those who couldnt get to the wake/funeral can have a chance to remember him will hve the opportunity to share stories about him and the things he loved. I really didn't know him well, and would welcome the chance to hear others talk about him in a more relaxed and social atmosphere.

Personally I have a real difficulty going to funerals, whether I knew the person well or not. I hope that such an event will be viewed for what it is: a chance for people to remember the happy times. I know that sometimes when a person dies and was a regular member of a group that sometimes the members of the group will do something in remembrance. For example reserve an empty seat at the poker table where he and his friends played poker every Friday night for example. We all grieve in different ways, & I hope that this is viewed as appropriate and not as disrespectful.

i've been absent from the forums for some time...

i am truly sorry for your loss. i will miss him too.

he is the only geocacher i have bumped into more times in the woods than any other. and each time our conversations became more friendlier. i will always remember his memory.

he was a good man.

Mark

aka GeoKender

While my heart was heavy - the pictures were uplifting and reminded me of how he embraced life and enjoyed his time with his family and friends.

That is so important and a tribute to Helmut and the importance he placed on his family. So many of us are so involved in our jobs and problems that we forget how important these times are. Helmut knew that.

The first time I met him was in April of 2002. I had headed out at my lunch hour to find a cache not real far from work. I encountered Helmut (as most us have) with his girls. Being a somewhat shy guy he kind of avoided me but eventually we all wound up in the same spot. He introduced himself and mentioned that he had taken the day off from work to go geocaching with his kids. I remember thinking at the time how nice a thing that was.

I hope after the shock is over that his family can take some solace in the fact that they were able to spend so much quality time together. I also hope that his passing will remind those of us who are so wrapped up in bringing home the bread to remember that its not the bread your family wants, its you.

Thanks for the lesson Helmut. I'm listening.

Here, here, I couldn't have put it better myself :ph34r: Just reading about him in this forum I so admired hearing this and hope it is a legacy he leaves for others on here to learn from and follow....

I just read the news about Helmut and I am shocked and saddened. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family at the 2004 Pirates of Harriman event and again at the G.O.N.E. caching event. What a tremendous loss to the geocaching community. I will be adding info the the NYGO site with a link to the donation info on the New Jersey site. My heart goes out to all his family and friends. :huh:

Ashley,

Glad to see you are checking in to this forum. It really demonstrates what a great impact your dad had on so many of us. To his long list of credits, you can certainly add his being a founding father of geocaching in Northern NJ.

I can certainly say that if Skully & Mulder Needful Things VII hadn't been the second cache my family did, we might not have gone much further (the first cache was smelly, wet and in very poor condition). Your dad's caches were always well placed and well maintained. Needful Things VII lead us back to the Sparta Edison area which remains one of my family's all time favorite locations to explore.

While your here, make sure to check out the geocoin forum to see the outpouring of appreciation and support from the national community of geocachers for your dad and your family. Here's the link.

TRL

Ashley,

I hope you are still reading this forum so you see this message.

First, I want to say that when I read your message above, I was struck the maturity you exhibited in the expression of your thoughts. It is not what I expect from a 14 year old. In of itself, it is a tribute to your father (and mother for that matter)!

Second, I and I'm sure everyone else who has been reading and contributing to this forum appreciates your taking the time to let us know that we've helped you in some small way. I can only imagine what you and your family are feeling, but I hope our continued thoughts and prayers are of some additional comfort. While I only met your father on 4 or 5 occasions, he obviously left an impression. It is evident from this forum that he did this with many others also.

Finally, I want to share an observation I made of your father during the "Harriman Pirate Picnic Event" in July 2004, and the impact it had on me. I came upon him and you and your sisters as we all approached one of the caches hidden along the lake. I vividly remember watching your father coach you along in your search for the cache, and thinking that he was having more fun and getting more enjoyment out of watching you all search and find the cache than he ever would have had finding it himself. You could see in his eyes how proud he was of his three girls, and it reminded me of how proud and how much I loved my own three children. When I got home, I gave them all big hugs.

We are saddened to hear the news of the loss of your father and husband. Although we never met Helmut, we have seen his name in so many cache logs, and wish we had the chance to meet him. What a nice way for a father to spend time with his girls. We hope you find strength in knowing that so many people have you in their thoughts and prayers. Our deepest sympathies go out the family. Take care of each other.

Team Divi Divi

I just read the news.

Heartbreaking....my belated condolences to Helmut's family and all who knew him.

I never met the man and knew him only as Scully & Mulder. But I had come across some of the many pictures of Helmut with his lovely girls and faithful dog while reading various cache logs. Without fail, there was always such joy and happiness in their faces. It was so plain to see that he was a fortunate man, enjoying such quality time with his family. It always reminded me of the good times that I had had with my kids on some of our hiking adventures. So sad.....

ramapo

I've moved away from the NNJ area and have been away from the forums for a while, so I just read the sad news.

I had the pleasure to meet Helmut and his daughters at a few group hikes and geocaching events. He was always very friendly and happy and you could really see how much he loved his family and geocaching. He will be greatly missed.

My deepest condolences to the Mueller family.

hello. Im(ashley) back again.

i was just looking at all of the pictures my dad put on his site, and he was really in to this caching, as most of you can tell. Just checking in and just letting everybody know that were doing okay, and my mom got a full time job, police dispatching for Chatam. Thadd as been to my house a few times before helping us out, and we had him and his family over for dinner a few weeks ago. And me my mom and nikki had a good time with a lot of you finding the cache a few weekends ago. Me, my mom and my sisters will be at the event tonight. So I will see a lot of you tonight

-Ashley Mueller

Although I frequent the forums, I somehow missed that this had happened. When I read the first post, I was at a loss for words and nearly in tears even though I never had the pleasure of meeting this man and his family.

Even though I never met Helmut, I joined gc.com about the same time that he did and I have read his post for years and viewed at the photos he posted in his gallery. I felt as though I knew him and I felt as though I knew his family. I took the time tonight to read each and every response in this thread and I now feel that I can talk about this. It is truly amazing how easy it is to become familiar with someone (and even feel close to them) via the internet. This has caused me to think back on everyone who I have met through the internet and even back to those from the BBS days and remember the impact that people have had on my life through computer communication. There are so many people that have been part of my life that I have never had the chance to shake their hand or share a laugh with. I am saddened by this but at the same time, I know that my life has been unmeasurably enriched because of their presence in my life even though it was not a physical presence. I am a better person because of people like Helmut.

To Ashley and Family- please know that your father touched many people. The number can never be measured because so many people have come and gone through gc.com, but I know if they spent anytime in the forums, they were impacted in some way by Helmut's post. Even if it was just learning something from what he posted, we were impacted. Please take strength from knowing how important he was to the geocaching community.

As I turn 40 in a couple of weeks. Helmut will definitely be on me mind. I am so fortunate to still have my father in my life. I grieve at your loss. There are no words that can make this any easier for you.

Wow. Im not sure if anyone can even still see any of these postings but if you can, hello!

I read this forum often and I just wanted to check in and say hi!! My dad's 48th birthday just passed a few weeks ago (April 28). We miss him more and more each day, and with my 19th birthday coming up in just 2 days I find myself thinking about how much has happened in the past few years of my life. I hope everyone is still caching it up all over the place!! :) take care!

Ashley Mueller

Wow. Im not sure if anyone can even still see any of these postings but if you can, hello!

I read this forum often and I just wanted to check in and say hi!! My dad's 48th birthday just passed a few weeks ago (April 28). We miss him more and more each day, and with my 19th birthday coming up in just 2 days I find myself thinking about how much has happened in the past few years of my life. I hope everyone is still caching it up all over the place!! :) take care!

Ashley Mueller

Hi Ashley, nice to hear from you. We all miss your dad, but our sense of loss can't compare to yours. I was just thinking of you guys the other day when I was looking at some of the older logs on my caches.

Hi Ashley,

We all miss your Dad, and he still does come up in conversations. I just gave two S&M coins to fellow cachers recentlly who wanted them for their collections.

In fact, I just placed the 10th anniversary of geocaching cache, using your Dad's 50 cal ammo box which went missing from Needful things IV cache at the Tourne Park which I adopted. The cache went missing in 2006 and was found many months later after I replaced the cache. Check out the tribute photo in the Needful things IV photo gallery.

I decided it would be a perfect ammo box to use for the 10th anniversary of geocaching, So a S&M cache which was placed by your Dad and probably you and your sisters in 2001 is now being used in 2010 for the 10 anniversary of Geocaching cache!

Nice to hear from you, and Happy Birthday!

Old Navy

I read this forum often and I just wanted to check in and say hi!! My dad's 48th birthday just passed a few weeks ago (April 28). We miss him more and more each day, and with my 19th birthday coming up in just 2 days I find myself thinking about how much has happened in the past few years of my life. I hope everyone is still caching it up all over the place!! :laughing: take care!

Ashley Mueller

Ashely,

I never met your dad but he has also touched my life. The love and respect your father felt of his friends, still continues through the Geocaching community. I was lucky enough to have completed several of the caches your father placed and his memories still live on with those who he has touched directly and indirectly over these years.

Brian Lubbert

(weathernowcast)