Sad News For NJ Geocachers

Keystone

Man! I heard the sad news while at the SEPAG event today. Helmut was one of the early cache placers in Northern NJ, and I enjoyed every one of his caches that I sought. Over the years, I've met up with him at cache sites and local events a couple of times and he was also nice enough to set up the geo-event at his neighborhood tavern to celebrate my 3000th cache. From what I've seen, he's a great family man. He brings his daughters out on cache hunts and hikes often. My condolences to his family.

I remembered that we have a picture of Helmut's walking stick. We were out after a pretty new cache and found the familiar (for anyone who ever hiked with Helmut) stick. We were going to just give it back to him but instead decided to post a "lost and found" note in this forum along with a picture.

b0ced08d-7952-4a24-b0d4-8075fd0d5cd9.jpg

This quickly brought a phone call and soon, Helmut over to our house for his stick. Evidently, he did not realize that the new name was photoshopped in place.

What a shock I just received to hear of Helmut's passing. I'm remembering like others before me what a nice guy he was and how much you could tell what a great father he was by the way he and his daugthers interacted when you had the pleasure of caching with them. My thoughts are with his family and friends. A real loss.

Horrible, Horrible news. I couldn't believe it when I read about it in the paper this morning. I'd just like to echo what everyone has said. Helmut was a great guy. I always noted the similarity between us (about the same age, 3 daughters & a dog and our wives were from neighboring towns). I've always considered Skully & Mulder as the model for THE geocaching family.

Rest in Peace Helmut

Information:

Funeral Tuesday 9:30 a.m. from The MEGARO MEMORIAL HOME, 503 Union Ave., Belleville. Funeral Mass St. Mary's Church, Nutley, 10:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, contributions to the Mueller Daughters Trust Fund, c/o. Lakeland Bank, 5729 Berkshire Rd., Oak Ridge, N.J. 07438, Attn. Lenora Mcguri, will be appreciated. Visitation Monday 2-4, 7-9

I first met Helmut at the Stayfloopy 3000 event that he hosted. He always made you feel welcome and brought a quiet dignity to geocaching both in person and in the forum. Its no wonder that he was the first president of the Northern New Jersey Cachers

Life does not seem fair sometimes. He will certainly be missed.

My condolances to his family.

I am so sad after reading about Helmut passing at such an incredibly young age. I have in my geocaching backpack a coin I kept promising to give to him because I was so grateful he gave me one of his Avroair coins at one of Avroair's events. I never was able to find the time to hide it for him. I kept emailing him back and forth, letting him know I was going to hide it somewhere and email him the coordinates so only he could find it. He said don't worry about it. The Avroair coin was a gift with nothing in return. That's the kind of guy he was.

I will be releasing his coin in his honor, here in Arizona where I am until June, and I hope people keep it in circulation in his memory. It is a Geowoodstock III coin.

To Liz and the girls, you have my deepest sympathy and prayers. You have such a lovely family... I remember how you girls played with the MiniMoggers at Stayfloopy's 3000th Cache party and at other events.

:rolleyes:

I really wish I could be in New Jersey to say goodbye.

I am so sorry for your loss.... as I am reading this, my heart is breaking. I have never had the pleasure of meeting this neat team, but have read the logs and have been amused by them and loved the name!

MY heartfelt sympathy is sent to your family and friends Helmut. I hope that the memories they have of you help them through this hard time.

Thoughts and prayers sent from PA

KrazyTrollz

From the Hudson Highlands Jaunt a couple of years ago.

956885da-f18f-433a-bd67-32be4094c368.jpg

It's amazin how even the shortest of meetings can effect you. We sat and enjoyed a quiet moment on the trail. [i'm seated to the left.] (Thanks for the photo JMBella).

Skully & Mulder et al. supprised me by placing my Travel Bug I had released in Florida some months before, into a cache, right in front of me.

It was amazing how much that mattered to me. It still does.

LisaS and I went caching in N.J. yesterday. I prayed for Helmut and his family at every stop.

My condolences to his family and friends.

We never had the pleasure of meeting Helmut, but knew him through logs and other cachers who spoke so well of him. He was one of the first cachers to find our first 2 caches. Our thoughts a prayers are with family and friends at this truely sad time. Helmut - may you find some happy trails to walk along.

Bob & Deb

Maybe we should place a Memorial Cache/Have an event?

Some things are now being discussed in how best to handle this in a tactful,respectful and appropriate manner.

May I suggect a geocoin in his memory with all proceeds going to the trust fund for the girls...

Possibly a Skully & Mulder 'poker chip' GeoCoin.

I'm sure this is one option already being discussed

I only met Helmut briefly at the Jokers Wild Picnic event and spoke to him once or twice via email, but I enjoyed many of his caches and reading his forum posts about his adventures, his family, and his pets. My very first cache ever was a Skully & Mulder cache (Don't Jump Jenny). I was very sad to hear of his passing. It is obvious from the number of postings here how much he was loved and how greatly he will be missed. My deepest sympathies to the Mueller family.

Just found out and although I only met hime once, I am very sadened by the news! My deepest heartfelt condolences to the family.

Whatever is decided upon by the geocaching community to best memorialize this wonderful man who impacted so many of us, count me in!

I attended the wake today. There were tons of pictures of Helmut and his family displayed from all parts of his life. Lots of smiles, happy times outdoors, even school pictures of his childhood.

While my heart was heavy - the pictures were uplifting and reminded me of how he embraced life and enjoyed his time with his family and friends.

May he rest in peace - and may we remember to live every day to the fullest.

After getting part of the way through the line to give our condolences, we came to the first picture board and right in the center of it was a picture of Helmut and family under the sign congratulating him on his 1000th find... A great time that we had been thinking about earlier in the day. A few of his "Skully and Mulder" poker chips and some geo buttons were also on display.

The occasion was so very sad but the incredible outpouring of friends that were there speaks volumes for those of us lucky enough to have known him.