Too Much Info =)

acorcoran

I'm very new to the GeoCaching world, but already an addict in the making. After reading numerous posts, I believe I have narrowed down my selection of units to the following two:

Garmin Legend C

Garmin Vista C

I just want to get your honest opinions if you think this is an overkill for a first unit. I'll be using it mainly for caching (80%), but can see myself also using it for driving directions in the future. Of course, who knows what will actually happen once I get the unit, as I tend to like to try new things out =).

I'm looking to spend no more than $250.00 for my first unit, as I don't want to go overboard on the first unit. Again, if I am overspending for a first unit, let me know, or if you think there might be a better option for me, please let me know.

Either unit would be great. Also I know you can get the legend Cx for $245 (gpsnow.com) as I just ordered one this week myself. The other thing to keep in mind is the mapping software. For caching it may not be as important to you, but if you want to use it for driving directions you will need the additional software. Keep in mind this software will be another $100+ when/if you decide to get it.

acorcoran :  "can see myself also using it for driving directions in the future"

acorcoran - some of the software can take up alot of memory, and I have read alot of complaining from people in these forums about not having enough memory capacity in the units you are looking at. The new x models coming out have memory cards that can be replaced. Memory isn't a problem with that type of set-up. Just something for you to consider before you purchase.

You can glean a LOT of info by reading through this great forum.

Good luck in your purchased, whatever you decide on. I am having a blast with mine !

HD1

Thank you for all of the replies, as well as the link to the nicely priced Legend Cx! I will definitely have to check that one out, as I can see the expandable memory being a bonus.

Curious to one thing, most electronic devices now have spaces for expandable memory, duos, sd, cfs, etc. When it comes to GPSr devices, why are they limited to 256mb cards? Not saying 256 isn't enough, but just curious why they can't easily handle the 512 or 1gb cards...

Edited by acorcoran

I recently decided on the Garmin Legend C for my first unit. I plan to use it only for geocaching and bicycling on trails. I was steered away from the Vista by a salesperson who questioned the quality vs the cost of the extra functionality. I found the Legend C for right at $200 online. I am very happy with it so far, even though I haven't been able to get out for a cache yet.

As far as the memory is concerned, I guess it sort of depends on how big an area you are interested in keeping on the unit for regular use. I have loaded TOPO maps for the eastern half of Wisconsin plus the northeast corner of Illinois (everything east of I-39 and north of I-80), and have not reached the 24meg memory limit yet.

I don't have any knowledge of how much memory the metro guide or city navigator may use. I have seen other posts about that though, so you could look through other threads to get ideas about that.

Yeah - you can't really "overspend" on a unit, but you can UNDERSPEND on one! It's better to buy a unit that has all of the features you want (or THINK you might want) rather than buy a cheaper one and then say, "I could'a, should'a, would'a". You'll just end up spending more later to get the one you really wanted!