Stencil For Ammo Cans?

Beffums

ok, after seeing several pics of briansnat's caches and their contents around, I just gotta ask - where do you find the stencil that says "offical geocache" to put on the outside? In the pics, it doesn't look like a sticker, it clearly looks like a stencil. but I don't see one on Groundspeak, and I'm not talented enough to take my old alphabet set and slowly paint each letter at a time in a straight line... <_<

is there somewhere to get one?

Do a google search for Stencil Font. Download it and use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Write (or whatever text editor you use) and print out what you want to say using the stencil font.

Print it on card stock. Use a razor knife to cut out the letter portions and voila! Insta-stencil, and custom, too! <_<

great - thanks!!!

ok, after seeing several pics of briansnat's caches and their contents around, I just gotta ask - where do you find the stencil that says "offical geocache" to put on the outside? In the pics, it doesn't look like a sticker, it clearly looks like a stencil. but I don't see one on Groundspeak, and I'm not talented enough to take my old alphabet set and slowly paint each letter at a time in a straight line... :D

Can you post a picture of one of the cans so I can see what you are talking about?

ok, after seeing several pics of briansnat's caches and their contents around, I just gotta ask - where do you find the stencil that says "offical geocache" to put on the outside?  In the pics, it doesn't look like a sticker, it clearly looks like a stencil.  but I don't see one on Groundspeak, and I'm not talented enough to take my old alphabet set and slowly paint each letter at a time in a straight line...  :drama:

Can you post a picture of one of the cans so I can see what you are talking about?

I think geofroggy knew what I meant, but since his caches are great, I'll do my best...

things to leave in a cache thread

this is just one example, I've seen them in some of his other posts as well...

(sorry - no idea how to do the fancy link where it starts you out partway down the posts on the linked thread; just scroll til you see a bunch of pics and look for ammo cans) :D

(sorry - no idea how to do the fancy link where it starts you out partway down the posts on the linked thread; just scroll til you see a bunch of pics and look for ammo cans)  :D

To get the "fancy" link, go to the particular post you're interested in. The top line of it has a link called "Posted" (right before the date/time of the post). Left-clink that, and a box will pop up with the url of that post; copy it with ctrl-C.

or you could have a friend who makes stickers/decals as a side job and put the screws to them. I had a generic decal (basic letters and numbers) made that fits a 5 gallon bucket and the material cost a whopping $2.

the easiest way has already been mentioned using the card stock, a manila file folder would work as well for a regular/large cache

Well here's a topic I actually know a lot about. For 20 years I worked for a distributor of the largest stencil machine and related supplies company in the world. (There's only 3 so it's not hard to be number 1.) The stencil machine having it's roots in WWII has just about gone the way of the dinosaur but that's another story. I'm no longer working in that business but after 20 years a few things tend to stick with you.

Here's some tips for good stenciling:

Use the craft store stencils. They are made from a material called oil board. Oil board is thin and slightly stiff. This will contribute to a crisp edge to your lettering because the oil board can lay down smoothly against the surface. Oil board has another benefit of being filled with oil. The oil prevents liquids from saturating the board and passing through to your surface being marked. Inks designed for stenciling work best, but they are really only commercially available and would be expensive for the hobbist. Fast drying spray paints like Krylon are a good substitute. The store brand will not dry as fast. The extra buck for the good stuff will be worth the investment.

Tape the letters together for best results. Most stencil packs have extra vowels and sometimes frequently used letters like "T". The packs are cheap so buy enough to spell out your message and tape all together. Use a straight edge to align your letters. It will be straight that way. Also tape some newspaper or other masking material to the outer edge to cover the ammo can. By taping all this together you prevent the over-spray that you would get by individual letter use. If you have problems with the spray lifting the stencil, use a wooden dowel to hold the stencil down in problem areas. A large stencil can be done in sections, moving the dowel as you work across.

If you would like to use a brush for your paint, you can. Just don't put the paint on like your painting a house. That is to say with broad strokes, back and forth. You'll just lift the stencil with the brush and make a mess. Use a non-tapered brush. Lightly load the paint on the brush end, then with a jabbing, up and down motion, strike the stencil opening repeatedly. This style of painting is called stippling. Each time the brush strike the stencil it pushes the stencil down against the surface and deposits the paint/ink at the same time. It should not be done with so much force the the tips of the brush bend or they will slide under the stencil. It doesn't take much force.

Custom stencils are also available from industrial supply stores that are in the niche. Yes there are still some out there. They can cut a stencil that fits the ammo can and has the information already cut in the oil board.

TeamQTH

ok, after seeing several pics of briansnat's caches and their contents around, I just gotta ask - where do you find the stencil that says "offical geocache" to put on the outside?  In the pics, it doesn't look like a sticker, it clearly looks like a stencil.  but I don't see one on Groundspeak, and I'm not talented enough to take my old alphabet set and slowly paint each letter at a time in a straight line...  :D

I think geofroggy knew what I meant, but since his caches are great, I'll do my best...

things to leave in a cache thread

this is just one example, I've seen them in some of his other posts as well...

(sorry - no idea how to do the fancy link where it starts you out partway down the posts on the linked thread; just scroll til you see a bunch of pics and look for ammo cans) :drama:

I love those "granite" looking cans. Very nice.

Here is another place for free stencil fonts DaFonts

If you plan on doing lots of cans you could try silkscreening as well. Silk Screening Supplies.

I haven't used either yet but will eventually use both. Silk Screening has a number of steps but is easier than it looks. My brother used to make money when he was young making t-shirts wby using silk screening and I helped him a lot.

Good luck and let us know what you used.

WeR3

(sorry - no idea how to do the fancy link where it starts you out partway down the posts on the linked thread; just scroll til you see a bunch of pics and look for ammo cans)  :D

To get the "fancy" link, go to the particular post you're interested in. The top line of it has a link called "Posted" (right before the date/time of the post). Left-clink that, and a box will pop up with the url of that post; copy it with ctrl-C.

thanks!

Good luck and let us know what you used.

WeR3

well, looking through it all (and I gotta admit to feeling a bit guilty on this one, since hubby and I have been caching since last summer, but newbie is all in the eye of the beholder, right?) I think I'm going to go with Sissy & CR's stencil (see link to their site above). Thanks Geo-Froggy for sending it to me.

See my signature for a link to our site. From there you shouldn't have a problem finding what you are requesting.

--------------------

CR of Sissy-n-CR

"Remember to always trade kindly. The person after you should be as pleased as you are." ~Sissy of Sissy-n-CR

South Carolina Geocachers Association : Geo Creed : Cacheopedia

one of the main reasons we were interested in the stencil is that we live along the banks of the Ohio. yesterday, minor flooding (about an inch or two in the streets). we're new to this part of Indiana, but the locals say this will be a pretty consistent event (2-5 days a week) from now til June or July= sigh. ammo cans are all pretty good and relatively dry (gladware caches, not so happy, but we don't use them much), but the stickers don't fend so well after getting wet repeatedly. I'm hoping the paint will do a bit better.

Based on the expert's ideas above, though, I think I'll forgo the "just use card stock idea". (when someone knows what they are talking about talks, I figure it makes sense to listen) hubby has access to decent level plastics that we could form into the stencil, and that are oil-insoluble.

Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully others can use a stencil as well if they want one, or maybe got a new idea on how to label their caches!

(now to go dry out some ammocans...)

ok, after seeing several pics of briansnat's caches and their contents around, I just gotta ask - where do you find the stencil that says "offical geocache" to put on the outside?  In the pics, it doesn't look like a sticker, it clearly looks like a stencil.  but I don't see one on Groundspeak, and I'm not talented enough to take my old alphabet set and slowly paint each letter at a time in a straight line...  :D

bb9cbee1-a47a-4996-910d-22c95e7c9449.jpg