Number Of Cachers Per State

Blaidd-Drwg

<_< Does anyone know of a technique to identify the number of cachers registered in a geographical area, like a state? Keenpeople and Grand_High_Pobah provide partial answers, but not the entire answer.

Second, is there a method for determining the cache within a state that has the most logged finds?

:D Does anyone know of a technique to identify the number of cachers registered in a geographical area, like a state? Keenpeople and Grand_High_Pobah provide partial answers, but not the entire answer.

Second, is there a method for determining the cache within a state that has the most logged finds?

That type of information is not publicized by TPTB because it is subject to interpretation based on what the question is.

You will get different answers for:

How many geocacher accounts exist where the state/country is "xxxxx"

How many accounts exist where the coordinates fall within "xxxxx"

How nmay accounts exist where the geocacher has found at least one cache

... found at least one cache in the past year.

... from the same IP address

As you can see, the question needs to be defined according to what the information is for. The database has so many sock puppets and non-validated accounts, "teams", and such that if someone said 1500, then someone would choime in and say 1800 if you count spouses and kids over 5. 2200 if you include geopets.

So as much as I would agree that some sort of number would be nice for a reference, it isn't something that we can hold up with any true value.

:D Does anyone know of a technique to identify the number of cachers registered in a geographical area, like a state?  Keenpeople and Grand_High_Pobah provide partial answers, but not the entire answer. 

That type of information is not publicized by TPTB because it is subject to interpretation based on what the question is.

You will get different answers for:

How many geocacher accounts exist where the state/country is "xxxxx"

How many accounts exist where the coordinates fall within "xxxxx"

How nmay accounts exist where the geocacher has found at least one cache

... found at least one cache in the past year.

... from the same IP address

As you can see, the question needs to be defined according to what the information is for. The database has so many sock puppets and non-validated accounts, "teams", and such that if someone said 1500, then someone would choime in and say 1800 if you count spouses and kids over 5. 2200 if you include geopets.

So as much as I would agree that some sort of number would be nice for a reference, it isn't something that we can hold up with any true value.

:drama:

Moose Mob, you have some great and valid points. As for further refining the criteria for the number of cachers in the state, I would be interested in those with at least one find in the past calendar year. Not knowing how the database is set up, I don't know if they can even define who is from what state or country. Many folks fail to enter the required info in their profiles, which would make this info hard to discern.

As for geoholics comment of doing a state search and count, I just don't get it. I can get all of the caches in a state through PQs, but again without reading each profile for finders, I don't have a way to get a listing or count of cachers.

And there is still the second issue, of identifying the most logged cache in a state.

Good luck with your quest, since nobody from GC.com will provide that data. There have been numerous people that ask all kinds of questions of this type. Nearly each one retreats with their tail between their legs.

I'm guessing you might be able to get that answer if you were an advertiser looking to advertise on here and wanted to know who hit your demographics. :D