Waypoint Download Problems

norScot

I have just started a long and illustrious association with geocaching. Enormous fun! However, I have not been able to download waypoints. The problem makes itself known when I click the "download" button, after selecting the waypoints I'm interested in. The file which is downloaded is not a *.loc file, but one called "nearest.aspx", which I can't do anything with.

What am I doing wrong?

Just "nearest.aspx"

Then it appears as though you have gotten the .loc file extension associated with some odd application. There is a way to break the file associations linkage but I'll have to research it. Perhaps someone will drop by with the solution. When I do the very same steps as you, I get a save file name of 'geocaching.loc' and it automatically associated with GSAK since I have GSAK installed on my system and the system remembers the program that last opened the file.

Found this on a google search: http://geek.net.ru/talk/viewtopic.php?p=76...ce3eba22bfc6b8b

Pretty strange how you have gotten this error. What browser are you using?

Have you ever had this work successfully? When?

Another hit from google: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Geo-Cachin...Caching.pm.html

I suppose that you have already tried the old standby, "ctrl,alt,delete"

That's about all I can think of or offer, perhaps a more knowledgable user will drop by soon. This one is for sure intriguing. :ph34r:

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks for all your help, Team Cotati. Your links are far too geeky for me - I'm not into code.

I didn't mention (because I don't think it's relevant) that I use GetRight to handle all my downloads. It has never caused any problems before.

I'm wondering if my Norton Firewall could have anything to do with it, but it is set to permit Java to run.

Hope someone else has some good ideas.

I have just started a long and illustrious association with geocaching. Enormous fun! However, I have not been able to download waypoints. The problem makes itself known when I click the "download" button, after selecting the waypoints I'm interested in. The file which is downloaded is not a *.loc file, but one called "nearest.aspx", which I can't do anything with.

What am I doing wrong?

Many, many years ago, about 4 :ph34r:, this was a common occurrance and I have never really heard a firm explanation of what causes it. Back in the aforementioned rock ages one solution was to initially click on "open" rather than "save" when in the download window. Obviously nothing would open but then a subsequent click on "save" would then somehow force a .loc file download. Like I say there never was an answer and I really don't know if that would still work.

Give it a try.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks Olar - your suggestion and a bit of detective work have solved the problem (but not explained it)

I have disabled GetRight, (the downloading utility I have used since time began) and lo and behold, I have a beautiful .loc file to download. Magic!

Cheers from Switzerland

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not at all computer savvy, but wonder if you have installed either "Easy GPS" or "Gsak" to receive the downloaded waypoints and send them to your GPS?

Jackie