Podcaches And Podcasting

ssphoto

You've probably already heard of Podcaching. It's a neat idea. I love variety.

Visit: Podcaching

I've set up my IPodder to pull down their weekly shows and enjoy them.

I've also listened to one of their Podcaches; it seems like a neat idea.

I was also thinking about doing my own in the IL area. I wasn't sure about "stealing" Itrax and Foxtail's idea, so I am currently waiting to see if they intended this to take off in other states.

What say you all to this; what's your opinion of Podcaching? Has anyone out there done one. Opinions?? Buehller??

The Podcacher podcast is the "podshow." "Podcaching" is a mystery cache that uses downloadable .mp3 files to help guide you to the cache.

I'm pretty sure Sandy and Sonny don't hold the patent on the idea, but they certainly have made good use of it. I found one similar cache listed here in Illinois. I'd love to get up that way to try to find it.

Dark Side of the Park.

Bret

Yes, Thanks Bret for helping to explain the sometimes confusing terminology!

A Podcast is a "radio-like" show made available on the internet for people to download or subscribe to. Our Podcast is called "PodCacher" and is all about geocaching. You can listen to it right at your computer - or you can download it to any MP3 player and take it with you to listen anywhere!

As Bret said, a "Podcache" is a special type of cache - that usually doesn't require a GPS, just an MP3 player to listen to the audio file that contains the clues.

We have placed 2 in the San Diego area

GCPNWV

and

GCPW54

There are 2 others that we know of so far.

GCREDR

and

GCQ4E1

We have also placed podcaches (not listed on geocaching.com) in Santa Barbara and Monterey - see our website under the Podcaches category.

We'd love for more people to join in the fun and create more podcaches in their area!

Sonny & Sandy

www.podcacher.com

As Bret said, a "Podcache" is a special type of cache - that usually doesn't require a GPS, just an MP3 player to listen to the audio file that contains the clues.

Sounds pretty cool. Too bad they went and changed the hiding guidelines. Another innovative cache that won't be allowed any longer. <_<

It would still be allowed with a slight twisting. All you would need is to give the starting coords in the podcast (or on the cache page). After that, all is the same.

Podcaching is no different than many of the mystery-multis out there, except it is oral instead of written, after all.

Edited by sbell111
They are trying to this in Minnesota with MNGCA. So if I want to try this I have to buy a iPod. I wont be trying that any time soon.

You have other options. I use a 20gb Iriver H320 that I love. It just upgraded the firmware and now it runs video, in addition to audio, a FM receiver, and voice recorder.

On the inexpensive end of the spectrum, you can get one with a small amount of memory and no extra features for less than $20 on ebay. A quick search found a few that ended around $10 after shipping.

There are also inexpensive portable CD players that play MP3s.

The important part of submitting a Podcache is to satisfy the GPS requirements. Your posted coordinates should be a starting point, such as along a trail somewhere (as opposed to a parking lot). Use your GPS to get to that spot, then start the MP3 to guide you along the rest of the way. Submitting a Podcache without demonstrating GPS usage would likely prevent it from being listed.

... Your posted coordinates should be a starting point, such as along a trail somewhere (as opposed to a parking lot). ...

Couldn't you use parking (or bogus) coords on the page, but give the starting coords in the podcast? I think that this would still satisfy the 'GPS' requirement, wouldn't it?

With the additional waypoints feature, you could list the parking coordinates there and have the listed coordinates be the starting point for the cache. See this cache for an example of an acceptable method.

We have discussed this amongst ourselves and as long as you are providing coordinates for some place other than the parking lot, it should be alright. I still think the preferred method would be that which I have outlined above. YMMV.

:grin:

They are trying to this in Minnesota with MNGCA. So if I want to try this I have to buy a iPod. I wont be trying that any time soon.

At this time, the only thing going on in Minnesota that I'm aware of is Sir Z-man's podcast that you can simply play on your computer. I believe he mentioned in his latest 'cast that he is considering making a podcache but that hasn't happened yet.

Has anyone found a URL for subscribing to this? On the website it looks like you have to go thru iTunes.

You don't have to use iTunes to subscribe. You can use any podcast subscription software - called an Aggregator (like iPodder). See the "Subscribe" page on our website for a detailed explanation.

How to Subscribe

Thanks for asking!

Sonny & Sandy

www.podcacher.com

I use a 20gb Iriver H320 that I love.  It just upgraded the firmware and now it runs video, in addition to audio, a FM receiver, and voice recorder.

That's the same player I use. I'll have to get the new firmware update, thanks for the heads up!

Seethis cache for an example of an acceptable method.

I've done that cache! Very nicely done. I like the idea of podcaches. There is at least one in the Chicago area and may be more soon...