It Has Been 4 Years Now.....

StarBrand

Jan 30th marks 4 years since my offical entry into the world of Geocaching. There were less than 25 caches in Nebraska when I first looked up the site. There were only 5 within 100 miles of my house. Now there are 175. Of course 50 or so of those are mine. I have purchased and used 5 different GPSrs. Used different digital cameras. Bought 100 or so ammo cans. Spent literally thousands on trade goods. Got a few strange looks from the dollar store clerks. Found 235+. Hosted 6 events. Bought me an offical ElDiablo Hiking stick 3 years ago.

I have travelled thousands of miles. Drug my family up and down hills, streets, boulders, muddy paths and paved walkways. Met a lot of really nice folks. Saw some amazing landscapes. Had few arguments here in the forums.

I have 2 sons now. My wife makes up ideas for new hides and helps put them together. The weekends are spent planning and excuting new caches hides and finds. Cold days are spent dreaming of another hike. Another new place. Another cool photo.

All of it was fun. A lot of fun!!

Thanks all.

This June will be four years for me as well. When I started, there were about 150 caches within 100 miles of Las Vegas, now there is almost 10 times that many, and here around the Dallas area where I now live there is 4500 caches!

It is amazing to see the changes, not only in the numbers but in styles, and looking back at what caches would or wouldn't get approved now.

This June will be four years for me as well. When I started, there were about 150 caches within 100 miles of Las Vegas, now there is almost 10 times that many, and here around the Dallas area where I now live there is 4500 caches!

It is amazing to see the changes, not only in the numbers but in styles, and looking back at what caches would or wouldn't get approved now.

1) There are about 700 caches within 100 miles of Las Vegas now.

2) You should change your name to DallasCacheHounds :ph34r:

3) Your local caches are now considered vacation caches.

but well let you keep them since the folks around here are doing a great job maintaining them for you!

This June will be four years for me as well.  When I started, there were about 150 caches within 100 miles of Las Vegas, now there is almost 10 times that many, and here around the Dallas area where I now live there is 4500 caches!

1) There are about 700 caches within 100 miles of Las Vegas now.

2) You should change your name to DallasCacheHounds :mad:

3) Your local caches are now considered vacation caches.

but well let you keep them since the folks around here are doing a great job maintaining them for you!

From Origin: N 36° 14.294 W 115° 10.252  Total Records: 1483

What coords are you using for your number of only 700?

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

It's hard to believe that in June it will be 5 years for me and my wife (the Princess of Darkness) When we first started there were 3 other cachers in the area. The first event I held brought out 3 of us. Six months later I held another and about 12 people showed up. It was considered a huge turn out!

I saw a sport grow from about 12,000 people to what is now estimated at a million or more. I remember before the Travel Bug we had hitch hikers. I also remember when you sent an email to Geocaching.com Jeremy personally replied within a day.

I've seen the birth of Geo-Coins and the death of Locationless caches. I started an on line magazine devoted to caching and even managed to get it into print.

Besides that...not a lot has happened in the last 4 years or so.

Oh yea...I did make Starbrand and a few others a hiking staff. <_<

El Diablo

It has only been six months for me and I can't even begin to imagine all the places that I will discover as a result of this hobby/sport/obsession. I have seen some interesting bits of history, and lots of parks I never heard of before. I have also learned to pick cactus needles out of my butt in the middle of the dessert without tweezers. I'll take the breattaking views thank you.

Hey! I just passed my 4th year. Seen lots of changes.

I'm waiting for the revolution that will bring the "long, interesting hike in the woods for a cache" back in vogue. :huh::)

I'm also approaching 4 years. Couldn't agree more with Salvelinus; sadly, it's clear those days are passed. The hikes still exist, just takes culling through pages of drive-by micros to find 'em.

Still, in my 4 years I've made many new friends, I've learned that the Geocaching community is one helluva great group of folks, and I've discovered more "hidden gem" places than I can possibly count.

I've also graduated from being a "numbers ho" when it was actually an accomplishment to be one (not like now), to being a cacher who takes the time to try to make every hunt enjoyable. Used to be that every hunt was so, but thanks to "micro spew" that's no longer the case. Takes more work now. But it's still worth doing.

Jan 30th marks 4 years since my offical entry into the world of Geocaching. There were less than 25 caches in Nebraska when I first looked up the site. There were only 5 within 100 miles of my house. Now there are 175. Of course 50 or so of those are mine...

As a fortunate finder of many of your hides I'd like to thank you for being such a prolific hider of quality caches.

Most all of us can vividly remember finding some of the more special caches on our list of "finds" and some of yours trigger memories for me. In case anyone cares, they were/are:

I-80 Paperback Books Library

I-80 Commerce Coin Cache

and your Oregon Trail series:

Facus Springs :huh:

Jail Rock Nebraska

I had lots of fun finding all of them and really appreciate your efforts!

it'll be 5 years in June for me. Similarly big changes in the game. I remember when presently "easy" traditional caches were still hard, micros, virtuals, locationless didn't exist yet I don't think (or they were very rare), multis were rare, puzzles nearly nonexistent.

I'm amazed now by the number, range, and overall evolution of the game. And yet still people are finding new, tougher, and otherwise interesting ways to hide a cache.

And through it all only my one trusty GPSr and digital camera, both now begging for retirement. :huh:

Its been about 4.5 years of fun. And I may be looking for Starbrand next month, I have a bug that needs to move and you seem to have some caches out there.

So when I head for Cabellas (Cachers Candy Store) in about month I'll look you up and bring along a 210 lb. moving cache, the likes of which you have never seen.

Let me know - I'll clean out the back of the Jeep.

It has been a little over 4 years for me. As an example of how many more caches there are out there now, at one time I was listed in the top ten for the number of caches I had found in one day. I was number ten with 26 caches. It took Renegade Knight and I more than 12 hours and 250 miles traveled to find those 26. Today you could find that many in a 25 mile trip. :lol: