Starting An Orgianization

Team BubbyMac

This is a call for all cachers in a the Wabash Valley of Indiana and Illinios. After the Huge Sucess of the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-6d97847abc81 I'm considering starting an organization that would cover this area of the indiana & Illinois. What type of planning and organization does it take to start one of these organization.. I know it takes an organizational meeting. What else does it take.

Thanks

Rob

Well, one of the first things would be to define the area for your organization more specifically. The Wabash ends somewhere on the east side of Ohio and there are many areas that call themselves the Wabash Valley (including Lafayette IN where we live). Then, I would try to get some cacher's from the various areas interested in sponsering events around the area and figure out some structure for how organized you actually want to be. Then start having events/callouts.

joe

Just to add on to Car54's comments, don't feel that you have to strictly define an area to cover. We have an organisation (CINCO) that covers roughly the northwestern part of Central Indiana, yet we have had cachers come from Indianapolis and even Illinois to our events. Generally speaking, this is simply the area where we hold events, not the coverage of cachers. If your group overlaps ours, the more the merrier. (I'll note that if the Wings Night event had been on a weekend, I might have come from Lafayette to attend.)

Another important point would be to define the mission statement of a new group. Will it be an advocacy group? A cache maintainance group? Or will it be mostly a social group (like ours)? It's a good idea to know what you want ahead of time in order to avoid conflicts in the future.

Well, one of the first things would be to define the area for your organization more specifically.

I vigorously disagree! The membership itself will define the physical coverage of the group (lets not even go down this road again). Just sponsor some more get-togethers and have fun.

I'm going to jump in in an attempt to defend what I *think* Mr. Car 54 meant. What you might want to try to do is to define the locations where your group will normally MEET. not where the cachers will be from, but at least the areas where you'll hold meet and greets and other social events. over time, if you hold caching events that involve more of a hiking/major event, you might venture outside of those "boundaries". But, to set up a sense of "we're cachers who get together in the following counties".

ok, I'm re-reading that, and realizing that I'm not clear. So, I'm re-trying with an example. Right now, JAPTKD and I are attempting to start a spin-off group of INDIGO for the Evansville area. We're encouraging ANYONE to join, no matter where they live (all we need is an e-mail address or some way of letting you know of future get-togethers). But, we clarify in the first event that most events will likely be held in the Evansville area, at least for now. So, while the cachers may be from all over, the group events will be within this range.

I think that's was what Car 54 meant -- by picking where you'll have parties or whatnot, you let people decide if they'll likely be able to come and join you.

edited for typos

Edited by Beffums
I'm going to jump in in an attempt to defend what I *think* Mr. Car 54 meant. What you might want to try to do is to define the locations where your group will normally MEET. not where the cachers will be from, but at least the areas where you'll hold meet and greets and other social events. over time, if you hold caching events that involve more of a hiking/major event, you might venture outside of those "boundaries". But, to set up a sense of "we're cachers who get together in the following counties".

ok, I'm re-reading that, and realizing that I'm not clear. So, I'm re-trying with an example. Right now, JAPTKD and I are attempting to start a spin-off group of INDIGO for the Evansville area. We're encouraging ANYONE to join, no matter where they live (all we need is an e-mail address or some way of letting you know of future get-togethers). But, we clarify in the first event that most events will likely be held in the Evansville area, at least for now. So, while the cachers may be from all over, the group events will be within this range.

I think that's was what Car 54 meant -- by picking where you'll have parties or whatnot, you let people decide if they'll likely be able to come and join you.

edited for typos

I don't know where Evansville, INDIANA is, but I would like to join. I like the GEOCACHING in INDIANA groups, like CINCO, that are open to everyone in INDIANA equally to join..., not judged on a case-by case- basis for membership. I have an email address. Where do I send it? <_<

;) Maybe i was just too vague. Everyones imput was helpful though. I understand that the wabash extends for some long way but for the most part i was talking about the Terre Haute area, it has always been called the Wabash Valley. The local news channels have weather coverage maps that show several counties in Indiana and also Illinois. it usually include, parke, putnam, fountain, vermillion, clay, vigo, green,sullivan, knox and monroe in indiana, and in Illinois it covers edgar, coles,cumberland,clay, and several others i can't think of right now. Of course it would not be limited to those counties and anyone could attend but that could be the base area. I think it would be mostly a social group but you never know. I'll shut up now i guess i'm rambling

(this was my hundreth post <_<

Edited by Team BubbyMac
I don't know where Evansville, INDIANA is, but I would like to join. I like the GEOCACHING in INDIANA groups, like CINCO, that are open to everyone in INDIANA equally to join..., not judged on a case-by case- basis for membership. I have an email address. Where do I send it? <_<

I'll not steal team bubbymac's thread, so I'll just send you an e-mail. we're wayyyyy down in the Southwest corner.

:( Maybe i was just too vague. Everyones imput was helpful though. I understand that the wabash extends for some long way but for the most part i was talking about the Terre Haute area, it has always been called the Wabash Valley. The local news channels have weather coverage maps that show several counties in Indiana and also Illinois. it usually include, parke, putnam, fountain, vermillion, clay, vigo, green,sullivan, knox and monroe in indiana, and in Illinois it covers edgar, coles,cumberland,clay, and several others i can't think of right now. Of course it would not be limited to those counties and anyone could attend but that could be the base area. I think it would be mostly a social group but you never know. I'll shut up now i guess i'm rambling

(this was my hundreth post <_<

Don't forget Crawford County. ;) Speaking of that. Some of us are having an event may 20. This would be a good spot to have a wabash get together. It is in Robinson IL, 62454. Falls right in the Wabash area.

I don't know where Evansville, INDIANA  is, but I would like to join. I like the GEOCACHING in INDIANA groups, like CINCO, that are open to everyone in INDIANA equally to join..., not judged on a case-by case- basis for membership. I have an email address. Where do I send it? ;)

I'll not steal team bubbymac's thread, so I'll just send you an e-mail. we're wayyyyy down in the Southwest corner.

Hi Beffums...

Are you SURE Evansville is REALLY in INDIANA???? I didn't know Indiana HAD a "WAYYYYY down Southwestern corner"! <_<:(;)

Specifically defining the boundaries of your area depends somewhat on what the overall purpose of the group is.

If the intent is to just have a pretty much informal group for getting together for "Meet & Greets" and to hook up for group caching then having vague open membership is a good thing.

If the intent is the create a more formalized, group with the goal of working with local land managers and such, being an incorporated non-profit organization etc, then in that case, there are benefits to having clearly defined boundaries.

Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL) is sort of a cross between those two.

We have defined our area very specifically to be the 9 counties around Chicago. We did this because our longterm intent is to build relationships with the land managers within our area to "Promote and protect the family-oriented activity of geocaching in Northeastern Illinois, through education, cooperation between geocachers and land managers, and FUN!"

But we also do alot of "Meet & Greet" events, our forums are intended to be a meeting ground for folks to hook up for group caching etc. So we are a 'social' organization too.

To that end; although our voting membership is restricted to people who live within our boundaries, but our general membership is open to anyone who believes in our purpose and wants to join us to have some great fun and good conversation.

So, IMHO there are advantages to having a clearly defined coverage area depending on your goals. Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your group. It's always great to see geocachers get together!!

It sounds like you've got plenty of people around there that are interested. You'd probably get people from Greencastle to Paris, and from Sullivan to Newport. Heck, if I get the opportunity, I'll show up to an event, if only to see if any of my old pals from Rockville are cachers. I need to get that direction this spring anyway. There are a couple caches in Turkey Run, and I love that park.

It sounds like you've got plenty of people around there that are interested. You'd probably get people from Greencastle to Paris, and from Sullivan to Newport. Heck, if I get the opportunity, I'll show up to an event, if only to see if any of my old pals from Rockville are cachers. I need to get that direction this spring anyway. There are a couple caches in Turkey Run, and I love that park.

and you would be welcome. Everyone would is welcome to join, I'm just trying to get some ideas. And i appreciate everones help.

Rob

Hmmm, I didn't realize I was being so controversial in my terms...

Ok, lets see if I can clarify what I mean. There are two kinds of groups. One is like CINCO where we have a loose group of folks who try to coordinate some events in a particular area. Anyone is welcome to participate, but events are generally held in our designated area. Because where the events are held is geographically limited, we get lots of repeat attendees. Without a geographic limitation of some sort, there wouldn't be much consistency of attendees and you might as well not call yourself a group at all.

The second kind of group is a club with membership, officers, and the rest. These can be unlimited in size, but requires more work and structure. The benefit is that you can wield some political power because you represent your membership. (Whereas the first kind doesn't have a membership per se).

So, in my first post, I was suggesting that you decide the area where you want to hold events, get some other interested cachers to share the work, and proceed from there. If you wanted to form a club, then you have more work (charter etc).

hoping I didn't muddy things up further,

joe

edited to remove some awkward sentences, but leaving others. sigh

Edited by Car54

i understood what you were saying in your original post.

I think the group that i'm thinking towards is like CINCO. Events woudl be held in the Terre Haute area(including Illinois couties and operate from that area. anyone is able to join and participate. We would sponsor CITO events and others stuff also.

So anyone interested let me know.

Rob

That would be only a 45 min drive for me.  I would attend.

and you would be welcomed with open arms. But only if you allow me to be on the ISQ crew <_<:ph34r:

Actually, all you have to do is plant some caches for the Indiana Spirit Quest, meeting some simple guidelines that SixDogTeam hass laid out, and you're all set. Furthermore, I would be that you P.C.S.Q. caches could easily merge into the ISQ's. Hence, Rupert2 is to be duly welcomed. :o

Given that it's not too big of a distance, I would bet that a few of us in CINCO would love to come to some events. Perhaps even more so, the two groups might wish to consider a joint event (such as a CITO or gathering). Just a few thoughts.

That would be only a 45 min drive for me.  I would attend.

and you would be welcomed with open arms. But only if you allow me to be on the ISQ crew :(:grin:

Actually, all you have to do is plant some caches for the Indiana Spirit Quest, meeting some simple guidelines that SixDogTeam hass laid out, and you're all set. Furthermore, I would be that you P.C.S.Q. caches could easily merge into the ISQ's. Hence, Rupert2 is to be duly welcomed. :grin:

Given that it's not too big of a distance, I would bet that a few of us in CINCO would love to come to some events. Perhaps even more so, the two groups might wish to consider a joint event (such as a CITO or gathering). Just a few thoughts.

that would be awesome. A joint event woud be great. I would love to have my proposed group and and another group do somthing liek a CITO. I have been wanting to get one together anyway.

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! :ph34r:

I can't believe that there was an event right here in TH and I managed to miss it!!!

Sounds like you all had a good time, just wish I'd heard about it and made it down...

Anyway, back on topic:

I think a 'west-central Indiana' and 'east-central ILLINOISE' organization would be great for me and my Team. (Quick tip of the hat to CYBret, there. Did you catch it?) We'd be a lot more likely to get to events that we didn't have to travel more than 30 or 40 miles to get to. Just how practical it really is; or how many other people would be interested remains to be seen, I reckon. But count us in.

And put us on the mailing list, for Heaven's sake! :ph34r: