You Might Not Be Alone Out There.

HolyCowboys

QUOTE (Metaphor @ Jan 28 2006, 07:44 AM)

briansnat Posted: Jan 27 2006, 04:16 PM

Not for me. I don't like the idea of being prey  .

Just bring a couple of small poodles to throw. Then the cougar won't bother you. At least that's what I'd do.

Tiffany's Slaves Posted: Jan 28 2006, 10:37 AM

Hey...that is NOT a good idea

What would you suggest bringing along to throw to the cougar? Remember, you're going to need a couple, and they have to fit into a reasonably sized backpack... :D

Edited by Metaphor

Personally I would bring Penn State undergrads, but that's just me.

But seriously, some areas of Centre county are really remote, so I wouldn't doubt the fact that mountain lions (Nittany Lions, panthers, whatever) could live undetected out there for quite a while.

I guess I'll just stay out of Moshannon when dusk rolls around and they're getting hungry.

OK, I'll be serious now.

I've done a fair amount of hiking/geocaching in REAL mountain lion/cougar territory on the west coast.

Here's some do's and dont's that pertain to geocaching in areas where mountain lions are known to be.

DON'Ts

• Don't hike, bike, or jog ALONE in lion territory
  • Don't plan outdoor activities during the hours from dusk to dawn
  • Avoid walking near dense growth, rock outcroppings, or under ledges
  • Don't act afraid of a lion, if you encounter one
  • Don't try to sooth it verbally, as this may backfire
  • Don't bend over, crouch, or kneel
  • Never turn your back on a lion
  • Never, Never run from a lion

DOs

• Do keep children and pets in sight at all times
  • Always look up and behind you: Emulate other prey by being constantly vigilant
  • Wear a helmet, hood, or hat whenever outdoors. Paint eyes on the back and/or top
  • If you do encounter a lion, try to give it a way out
  • Look a lion in the eye(s)
  • Make loud, firm noises: You may even show your teeth and make snarling sounds
  • Make yourself look big
  • Raise your coat, jacket, or any clothing with your arms
  • Stand up straight, and swell your chest
  • Children with no adult should always be in a group and should bunch together
  • Adults pull children close to appear larger and to prevent them from running
  • Without kneeling, pull a small child on your shoulders to appear larger
  • You may back away slowly, if you feel you can retreat
  • Use anything available as a weapon if the lion displays aggression, but generally not if you must turn your back, crouch, kneel, or bend over to get one
  • Carry mace or pepper spray where you can easily reach it
  • Use fists, sticks, rocks, tools, a pocket knife, a bicycle, your gps; whatever you can hit with, throw, and/or use as a shield
  • Target an eye with your thumbs, fingers, or a weapon

Now, the bad news. These tips will only help if you are adult, you see the lion first, the lion is inexperienced, not too hungry, not rabid, and you are very lucky.

The plain truth is if a mountain lion intends on attacking you, you won't know it until it happens. Mountain lions normally attack their prey from behind or above (tree or ledge), pouncing on your back and biting your neck; severing your spinal cord. They can sprint 40mph, leap up 15ft in one bound, spring forward 45ft, drop silently 60ft away and land running. You really can't defend against that.

The good news is that even in big cat country you're 10 times more likely to die from lightning or a dog attack then get attacked by a mountain lion.

In 2004 I came across some large cat tracks (about 4 inches across the pad, 100-150 pound cat) in southern lancaster county. took pics and sent them to the game commission and never recieved a reply. Followed the tracks( yes I had firearms with me and can track) for about 600 yards and found the remains of a large hare. light started to fade so back to the car before dark.

In 2004 I came across some large cat tracks (about 4 inches across the pad, 100-150 pound cat) in southern lancaster county. took pics and sent them to the game commission and never recieved a reply. Followed the tracks( yes I had firearms with me and can track) for about 600 yards and found the remains of a large hare. light started to fade so back to the car before dark.

I wonder in a case like this if some enviro-friendly lab would test the remains of the hare to check for cougar DNA.

You weren't the only one to see the signs. There were also confirmed sightings in northern Delaware and with their normal range that could get them into southern Lancaster CO

"In January 2004, the [PA Game] commission said a lion was roaming the area around Welsh Mountain in Lancaster County, where numerous sightings were reported and a 70-pound dog was mauled. Despite finding some large paw prints and collecting hair samples, the animal was never found.

Officials said they believe that lion escaped from captivity because it was seen in open areas during the day and let people approach quite close. Neither of those behaviors are common for a wild lion."

There is more on PA cougars at http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/281...006-593130.html

However...... since they are endangered I would guess killing them is illegal and certainly unnecessary. There are millions of us and only a couple of them. Do what is right for the ecosystem and provide them with a tasty meal.

http://www.api4animals.org/popups/a3b_capt...e_incidents.php

The internet truly does have everything.

Real true story, Lady in Jackson NJ was keeping 28--yup that's right 28 tigers and one of them got loose and was roaming around the area. Yup a tiger roaming around NJ, and when spotted, the local authorities go right over to her place and ask and she says "Nope, that isn't one of my tigers, must belong to someone else" :wacko:

I couldn't help but wonder how many others keep tigers for pets, and judging from the above , perhaps more than I thought. There also was the guy who rented an apartment over in NYc to keep his.

DOs

• Do keep children and pets in sight at all times
  • Always look up and behind you: Emulate other prey by being constantly vigilant
  • Wear a helmet, hood, or hat whenever outdoors. Paint eyes on the back and/or top
  • If you do encounter a lion, try to give it a way out
  • Look a lion in the eye(s)
  • Make loud, firm noises: You may even show your teeth and make snarling sounds
  • Make yourself look big
  • Raise your coat, jacket, or any clothing with your arms
  • Stand up straight, and swell your chest
  • Children with no adult should always be in a group and should bunch together
  • Adults pull children close to appear larger and to prevent them from running
  • Without kneeling, pull a small child on your shoulders to appear larger
  • You may back away slowly, if you feel you can retreat
  • Use anything available as a weapon if the lion displays aggression, but generally not if you must turn your back, crouch, kneel, or bend over to get one
  • Carry mace or pepper spray where you can easily reach it
  • Use fists, sticks, rocks, tools, a pocket knife, a bicycle, your gps; whatever you can hit with, throw, and/or use as a shield
  • Target an eye with your thumbs, fingers, or a weapon

OK, here's how we do it. Whenever we go hiking I like to wear a helmet (with eyes painted on it), throughout the hike we scream profanities at each other, I balance both kids on my head like Cirque Du Soleil while spinning in circles, I wear mace cologne, and I don't need to act big - I am big primarily courtesy of pizza and beer.

You don't have to protect yourself in this fashion but if you do please post the pictures here.

-Team Bam Bam :wacko:

http://www.api4animals.org/popups/a3b_capt...e_incidents.php

The internet truly does have everything.

Real true story, Lady in Jackson NJ was keeping 28--yup that's right 28 tigers and one of them got loose and was roaming around the area. Yup a tiger roaming around NJ, and when spotted, the local authorities go right over to her place and ask and she says "Nope, that isn't one of my tigers, must belong to someone else" :wacko:

I couldn't help but wonder how many others keep tigers for pets, and judging from the above , perhaps more than I thought. There also was the guy who rented an apartment over in NYc to keep his.

Well, tigers are not the same as mountain lions (and mountain lions arent even lions), and she didn't exactly keep them as pets. It was more of an animal rescue for tigers. I was living down the road from there back when that happened. Yea, it was probably one of her tigers, but don't forget Great Adventure's safari park is in the same area and they didn't exactly have the best record either when it came to escaped animals. It could have been either.

See for info on conditions in which tigers were kept. I always thought it funny that she matter of factly stated, nope not one of mine must be someone elses. Like it was an everyday occurence. She was out there as they say.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/release..._0163photos.htm

For several years now there have been reported cougar sitings in Barry Lakes/ Highland Lakes NJ, which is near Wawayanda State Park.