Lesson's Learned

Cornerstone4

I don't know if we have had a thread like this before, so I thought I would post something. I have been involved with a few coins now, and there are some things I learned the hard way. I just saw one of my mistakes repeated by someone else, so I thought maybe it would be good to share some insight to help others along.

Lesson #1- Make sure your tracking numbers are large enough! They always look great in the artwork, but print a picture out so you can see an actual size print of the coin first. The tracking numbers for the "Screw Geocoins" came out way too small. I just got my Finland coins yesterday, and I have trouble reading those numbers even with glasses on! If you were to send these out to travel, I bet most people wouldn't even see the number to know to track them.

Lesson #2- If make your LE coins in a very distinct finish, or at least have either sequential numbering or another marker so you can publish which coin numbers, or designators are actually the LE coins. This will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Lesson #3 anyone?

Lesson #3: Shop around! get pricing quotes from as many makers as you can, and ask which coins they have done so you can see the quality. Ask if anyone else has worked with them, and if they would do it again, etc.

The NewComers guide pinned topic has a good list of coin makers. Many will even give you a price list or have a guide online so you can see what different options are likely to cost.

I just got my Finland coins yesterday, and I have trouble reading those numbers even with glasses on! If you were to send these out to travel, I bet most people wouldn't even see the number to know to track them.

Guilty!!! But it is a fantastic looking coin and one that I am very proud of having designed.

Future coins from gcCOINS will be bigger and will have bigger tracking numbers.

Alex.

I just got my Finland coins yesterday, and I have trouble reading those numbers even with glasses on! If you were to send these out to travel, I bet most people wouldn't even see the number to know to track them.

Guilty!!! But it is a fantastic looking coin and one that I am very proud of having designed.

Alex.

I think the size of the coin was just fine. I like the 1.5 and 1 5/8 size coins. I find the 2" way too big for my tastes. Maybe 1.75, but I'm not sure what it would really add besides costs.

But bigger tracking numbers would be very good.

Alex.

I think the size of the coin was just fine. I like the 1.5 and 1 5/8 size coins. I find the 2" way too big for my tastes. Maybe 1.75, but I'm not sure what it would really add besides costs.

But bigger tracking numbers would be very good.

You beat me to it!

Coin size is fine - please no bigger! :ph34r: And yes, the Finland coins are lovely!

Tracking numbers are waaay too small (Kansas coins have the same problem) - please make them larger in future! I had to get out the magnifier for both of these coins. :ph34r:

A

Alex.

Alex,

Please don't take my comments personally. I really like the coin!

My comment came about just because I was so disappointed in the size of the tracking numbers on my Screw coins. For me, they are too small to read without glasses, and I ususally don't carry glasses with me when I am caching.

When I saw the same thing on the Finland coins, I just wanted to bring it up to everyone's attention. The numbers look big enough when you are looking at the artwork, but they come out much smaller once you see the coin in it's actual size.

Edited by Cornerstone4

Lesson #6

Finishes like antique brass & antique gold, and pewter & antique silver are the same thing basically. So don't mint your coin versions thinking these are different metals that will look any different from one another.

Lesson #7

If you are using a shiny metal like nickle or gold, plan to ink either behind your text or the text itself. Raised text on these finishes doesn't show up very well and is very difficult to read.

PS: I don't think #4 applies to this thread subject.

Lesson #8:

I know you are excited to get your coins, but take the time to have samples of your coin in a few metals shipped to you before they start full production. It's a good chance to change your mind about something, see that the text is not readable, catch mistakes, etc. It will add maybe 3 or 4 weeks to the process, but I think it is worth it. It helped us avoid Lesson #6. We had samples made in Antique Bronze and Antique Gold and we couldn't tell which was which except under full spectrum lighting.

--Marky

For me, they are too small to read without glasses, and I ususally don't carry glasses with me when I am caching.

Solution: hang on to the coin until you get home :ph34r:

Regarding the comment about using color fill, it was done on the Screw coin and looks great.

#9 - Use laser etching for the tacking numbers so that you can keep them small and readable (those dremel-tool-looking numbers on some coins really diminishes their attractiveness )

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Lesson #8:

I know you are excited to get your coins, but take the time to have samples of your coin in a few metals shipped to you before they start full production.

--Marky

This is great advice.

Sometimes the artwork looks different than the actual coin in your hand on the different metals.

When I did my first coin last year I got samples in pewter, antique gold, polished silver and polished gold.

The polished metals came out looking cheap. Glad I did it.