Muggle....how To Avoid Detection

Kemo_Sabe

The best way is probably to go incognito. Simply dress and act like others in the area. Telling adults usually doesn't bring harm, but avoid giving kids hints. Of course, the :) method can be fun in its own right also.

Some methods I've heard of include using your GPS as:

Cell phone

PDA

Walkie Talkie

Radio/MP3 Player

Tricorder (ala Star Trek)

There are other ways to blend in... if you can get a uniform*:

Tourist

Drunk

Road construction crew

Homeless person

Surveyor

Electrician

Sewer worker

Police Officer

HazMat suit

...well, not necessarily blend in, but it'll sure get the muggles to leave you alone. And by alone, I mean a several-mile berth in some cases. :o

* Note: Not all of these are legal every and/or anywhere.

bring or borrow kids, dogs, or both.

If you at least like dogs a little many shelters will love for you to take certain ones out for a nice long walk/hike. They are great to avoid detection! Most poeple won't give you another look or if they do you can do the "oh is your tennis ball over here" or "now where is that poop bag". :blink:

Uh duh... Duh! AMAZINGLY, most responders up till this point have forgotten to mention the most basic and obvious course of action, so let's dive into it right now, as follows:

Most GPS receivers have a little red button on them. When you briefly depress and release that button, you (and the GPSr) become invisible to all geomuggles for three minutes. On some GPSr models, if you hit the button twice in rapid succession, you become invisible for 10 minutes. I also hear talk in the forums that some newer models of GPSrs have a little button bearing a shilouette image of a man on it. Apparently, if you aim the top of the GPSr at the geomuggle and depress this little button briefly, the person is immediately (and permanently) removed from our world (apparently transported to an alternate universe where geocaching does not exist) without a trace.

Do you actually know of any specific GPS models which have the red button? And if so do you have any pictures of it?

Uh duh... Duh! AMAZINGLY, most responders up till this point have forgotten to mention the most basic and obvious course of action, so let's dive into it right now, as follows:

Most GPS receivers have a little red button on them. When you briefly depress and release that button, you (and the GPSr) become invisible to all geomuggles for three minutes. On some GPSr models, if you hit the button twice in rapid succession, you become invisible for 10 minutes. I also hear talk in the forums that some newer models of GPSrs have a little button bearing a shilouette image of a man on it. Apparently, if you aim the top of the GPSr at the geomuggle and depress this little button briefly, the person is immediately (and permanently) removed from our world (apparently transported to an alternate universe where geocaching does not exist) without a trace.

Do you actually know of any specific GPS models which have the red button? And if so do you have any pictures of it?

It's invisible in pictures - that's why you don't see it in the manuals. :laughing:

LOL - you ppl are cracking me up with some of these answers!

One thing I have on my side is that my husband actually IS a land surveyor... so when we're out in his truck with the name of his business on the side, walking around with GPSr's, no one thinks anything of it!

PS.. I love the 'doing research on poisonous snakes' idea. I'll have to try that!

I put on my official geocaching anti-muggle hard hat complete with Groundspeak logos .... and sometimes grab a clipboard. If confronted by a muggle, I say I am conducting a survey of poisonus snakes in the area .... "Have you seen any?" Usually I have the place to myself in short order! :anibad: ImpalaBob

That's a great one. I for one would be running the other way :D

We need one of those - where can you get them from?? :)

Slowly wave your hand in front of your chest, left to right, and say:"You don't see anything here. You need to be on your way."

Ahhh, the old jedi mind trick eh? Works for most people unless the muggle is Jabba The Hutt.

In the event that I am in a park or slightly wooded area, I may tell the inquiring mind that I am collecting animal droppings for the local college to run labs on. As I am saying this, I picture myself removing a brand new ziploc baggie I keep in my lumpy geocaching bag, turning it inside out and slipping it over my hand.

The muggle will be more than happy to carry on his or her merry little way and will be left wondering if my purse is really THAT FULL of baggies of animal crap.

I've also heard that you can simply kill them and eat them. Saves on groceries and takes care of the muggle problem at the same time.

Please try to exercise more responsibility in your postings such as this one. I am amazed that you do not know, or are ignoring the fact, that most muggles are very toxic and therefore ingesting their flesh can result in serious illeness or even result in transforming (regressing backward) into a muggle oneself. Thus, your rash suggestion is very irresponsible! Repent!

I'm so very sorry. I feel so dirty now. Yes, I know muggles can be toxic. I was just trying to "thin the herd" so that I might be able to get another FTF. Don't hate me. It was programmed into me by the "numbers people". They made me this way. Blame them.

(Heh, while folks are all looking for those rotten "numbers people" who corrupted my innocence I wll snag many FTF honors and defeat them all! I will prove my superiority (or perhaps my "butheadedness") by scoring more FTF numbers than all of them. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa......) Oh, wait.... did I say that out loud? Pay no attention to the weirdo typing this message.... I mean that earlier message..... I mean..... oh crud..........

Okay you got me...had to go to google maps for a look see. I hope they have the fires under control out your way. :ph34r:

My first find was almost muggled but I chose to stealth in by roadside with hazard lights on pretending my vehicle broke down.

WORKED!

If you suspect a muggle, mark the site and drive on by. Some people don't understand a sport because they don't favor strangers snooping around.

I often hunt in the country so I'm prepared to feign soil samples if in the rough or some scientific mumbo jumbo.

Edited by Dibley68

What has worked for me is a simple PINI (orange safety vest with reflective yellow stripes), combined with my casual "laborer" attire (jeans, vest, shades, hat), plus the omnipresent "hand held computer" (GPS) with pen and notebook... does not matter what rest stop or obscure spot you stop at, heave a sigh (dramatic), get out of car, put on vest (or wear while driving), take some "readings", jot down some notes... you instantly fade into obscurity to the eyes of the muggles... You become another one of the invisible working folk. Add a hard hat and it's even better... add a small digital camera and you can plant a cache in plain view and hardly anyone will give you a second glance...

At least, that's what works up here where forestry & oil and gas workers and such are literally everywhere!

My wife and I were caching on a nearby college campus the other day, and a campus security guard rode up on a segway (is that how you spell that?) just as I had retrieved the cache! He says, "You guys lose something?" We had our 6 month old daughter with us, so I casually held up the rubbermaid container full of little toys and trinkets and said, "Yep, but we just found it! Thanks for asking!" He says, "Oh, she wouldn't be very happy if you lost that would she?" as he gave himself a little chuckle and rolled off! My wife and I just laughed, and then patted ourselves on the back for our "quick on our head-foot" thinking. That was our first geocaching experience, and boy are we hooked now!

Edited by Troubl3m4kr

I have yet to go paperless and try and look like Im doing something offical nearby the cache.

With a clipboard, an orange safety vest, and a ball cap for the local sports franchise you are all-but-invisible to most muggles.

This is funny :unsure:

The best way is probably to go incognito. Simply dress and act like others in the area. Telling adults usually doesn't bring harm, but avoid giving kids hints. Of course, the :D method can be fun in its own right also.

Some methods I've heard of include using your GPS as:

Cell phone

Heh...my GPS IS a cellphone! :blink: