Caution ! Heads Up !

BoGoes

Ok, personnally i don't like hunting, but i do know that in most states "trappers" have to check their traps at least 3 times a day, My Command checks his in the morning before work, lunch, before he goes home for the day, and in the evening... Also in state parks, You should stay close to the trails, Most trappers can not put their traps at least 100ft to 50ft from a trail (i checked with my XPO) but jsut so you know that this is in Wisconsin so i don't know about anyother states...

If you want to see a case study in misappropriated feelings for animals, rent "Grizzly Man".

Timothy Treadwell made that mistake with Grizzly bears.

He is now poop.

<_<

Wasn't he the photographer in Alaska who assumed two juvenile grizzlies were just happily playing just before they turned on him?

Salvelinus

He was an ex druggie whose brain was burnt. He thumbed his nose at "the rules" for years. Here is our current discussion of his assinine behavior.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120655

Last time I checked I did not think state parks in South Carolina were allowed but if you can find proof then please show me, cause honestly I don't know.

South Carolina Fur Bearing Animals DNR regulations:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/furharvest.html

Legal Traps

It is lawful to use foothold traps with an inside jaw spread of 5 ¾” or smaller on land and 6 ½” for water sets statewide. Inside jaw spread is measured at the widest point perpendicular to the pivot points (jaw hinges) when the trap is in the set position (see illustration).

Enclosed foothold traps such as “Egg”, “Duffer”, “Coon-cuff”, and similarly designed dog-proof style traps designed for raccoons may be used statewide.

Body gripping traps of the Conibear type may be used statewide without bait or scents in water sets or slide sets only. These traps must be set in a vertical position only. Snares may be used statewide in water sets only. Live traps may be used statewide. All other traps are unlawful.

All traps must have an identification tag bearing the owner’s name and address. (50-11-2460)

Trapper Responsibility

A person may trap on lands that he owns, or on lands owned by others provided the trapper has written permission from the landowner. The written permission must be carried on the trapper’s person while engaged in trapping activities.

There is no trapping on Wildlife Management Area lands.

All traps must be checked at least once daily. It is illegal to visit traps at night. No one, except the owner of the trap, may remove any legally trapped animal from the trap.

No trap may be set in the open, in paths commonly used by persons or domestic animals.

Any person shipping or transporting raw furs, pelts, hides or whole animals out of this state must obtain a permit from the SCDNR. A conservation officer may inspect the package and issue the permit. Officers should be notified at least 24 hours prior to the need of a permit. (50-11-2430, 50-11-2440, 50-11-2445, 50-11-2500, 50-11-2550)

It is rather presumtious to think that only humans, who can communicate verbally, are the only beings on earth able to feel.

It is exactly that exclusive ability (the ability to reason and communicate verbally) which make humans think that animals are experiencing the same emotions and feeling as humans. You assume because you feel anxious, fear, etc... then animals must. That assumption is totally emotion based and not factual. You will not find ANYTHING in SCIENTIFIC research that says so.

I would expect a vetenarian or zookeeper to think as you do since they only deal with animals taken from their natural environment and forced to adjust to a human world (some would even call that cruel). But a trained biologist and researcher, such as myself, who makes it a career to study animal populations and behavoirs in their natural environment would not agree with you.

You may have the last word since we are off topic.

Salvelinus

apparently not one trained in identifying emotional or neurological responses though. should you want the references, a quick medline search produced more than 4700 references verifying clear, incontrovertible proof of anxiety responses bases on neurochemical responses in "lower" mammals.

biologists need to leave the psychology to the psychologists. animals feel pain. if you cut a dog, it bleeds, and it hurts. it might not have the same awareness as you have of that pain, but it experiences a physiological pain.

the thing is - that is all beside the point. a GOOD trapper isn't hurting the animals. stressing them out? who knows. but not hurting. certainly not hurting more than the alternatives. So, while I will FIRMLY disagree on scientific grounds with your erroneous claims that animals cannot feel emotions, since we've known that they do for more than 100 years (Pavlov proved that one conclusively a looooong time ago, and he wasn't even the first - search past the salivating studies, you'll get there), it doesn't matter - the traps are not "dangerous" or "bad" or "evil" yes, when you kill an animal, it hurts it, and *gasp* it dies. but yep - that's what killing means. and there are times when we, as humans, decide that that is what is best for us.

keep in mind that we are not the only animals to make these "decisions" (and here I AM being anthropomorphic). The lion decides to kill its prey. It decides that it (the lion) is more important than it's prey. Sorry - but the real world is NOT like "The Lion King". There is a Food Chain. We just happen to be near the top of it. Not at the top of it, but closer to the top than the bottom. personally, I'd rather be at the top than the bottom. do I hunt? no. do I support idiots who go out drunk shooting at anything that moves? of course not. do I respect the right to hunt? of course.

(ok, I'll climb off my soapboxes now)

If you want to see a case study in misappropriated feelings for animals, rent "Grizzly Man".

Timothy Treadwell made that mistake with Grizzly bears.

He is now poop.

<_<

Wasn't he the photographer in Alaska who assumed two juvenile grizzlies were just happily playing just before they turned on him?

Salvelinus

He was an ex druggie whose brain was burnt. He thumbed his nose at "the rules" for years. Here is our current discussion of his assinine behavior.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120655

yeah - now that one's just being stupid.

Ok, personnally i don't like hunting, but i do know that in most states "trappers" have to check their traps at least 3 times a day, My Command checks his in the morning before work, lunch, before he goes home for the day, and in the evening... Also in state parks, You should stay close to the trails, Most trappers can not put their traps at least 100ft to 50ft from a trail (i checked with my XPO) but jsut so you know that this is in Wisconsin so i don't know about anyother states...

I'm not sure where you found the regs for wisconsing, but those are all wrong.

The traps must be checked (depending on type) once a day- less for drowning sets.

I don't see any special regs for state parks, but traps cannot be placed within 3 feet of a road, culvert, or woven wire fence or within 100yards of a home.

WI Trapping Regulations

I did see this for people that might be tempted to mess with traps if they find them:

Trap and Animal Theft: Stealing or molesting traps,

cable restraints, snares, animals, or the contents of any

lawfully placed trap is a criminal act and is punishable

by fine ($300-$1,000), imprisonment (up to 90 days) or

both, and a mandatory 5-year revocation of license.

It is rather presumtious to think that only humans, who can communicate verbally, are the only beings on earth able to feel.

It is exactly that exclusive ability (the ability to reason and communicate verbally) which make humans think that animals are experiencing the same emotions and feeling as humans. You assume because you feel anxious, fear, etc... then animals must. That assumption is totally emotion based and not factual. You will not find ANYTHING in SCIENTIFIC research that says so.

So what you are saying is that when an animal (any animal non human) gets backed into a corner by an animal larger and / or more aggressive than itself, it says "ho hum, gotta go on my way, nothing to see here."

I will not even wait for your answer and edit this post with this. When my dog does bad and gets smacked on the butt she know's she did wrong. I believe by your post you are saying she is cowering and wimpering before I hit her because she knows nothing.

Edited by 5¢
Bet there is a Hunter / Trapper bashing newsgroup where all this would be appreciated. Can we swing the topic over to Geocaching?

Well, the anti's who think us hunters & trappers are barbaric, unevolved simpletons probably aren't done beating this horse yet, but I'll give it a try.

A large part of the safety of any activity is knowing the environment you're going to be in. When I was training for my SCUBA dive license, we spent days on what can possibly go wrong while submerged and how to react--entanglements, equipment malfunctions, etc. Any serious whitewater kayaking group practices swiftwater rescue techniques just in case someone gets pinned.

As geocachers, we need to be prepared for the various environments we encounter in our hobby. Basic first aid is essential--should be for everyone, no matter what. If you night-cache, take multiple sources of light for each person. If you're going out on a dayhike for a cache, or caches, and won't be back to your vehicle for a while, you should take a light pack with enough equipment to get you through the night if something goes bad--shelter, water, and a heat source at the very minimum. If your cache hunting takes you into an area where there may be a hunt taking place, wear orange. If you cache with a dog and are worried about traps, learn basic first aid for your animal (you should know this anyway) and learn how to safely release the trap without harming the animal OR the trap.

On a closing note, I find it odd (and very hypocritical) of certain geocachers to BP&M about muggles messing with geocaches, and in the next breath state with no uncertainty state that they would not hesitate to disable any trap they find in the woods. Respect needs to work both ways, regardless of personal opinions.

Ok, from the geocaching point of view - chances are slim that you'll ever encounter a trap while caching, but if you do, leave it alone. If you happen to accidentally spring one, leave it be, whoever owns it will deal with it. If you happen to accidentally step in one, you won't have any trouble removing it from your foot, nor will it cause you any injury whatsoever. Foot hold traps do very little harm to the animals they catch, and they don't do any harm to mamals wearing shoes. My concern with traps is 0%. I've been around them, I've gone trapping with my dad, and I know better. They're not as big and bad as Saturday morning cartoons would have you believe, which appears to be where a lot of people "contributing" to this thread obtained their knowledge about trapping.

Wildlife management and Conservation is just good common sense if it be hunting, trapping, fishing, whatever. Without it, overpopulation and disease will be mother natures system of checks and balances. I personally can't stand seeing any type of animal suffering. If you are going to be in an area where hunting, trapping are allowed and you really need to do a little research as to the seasons and or regulations. :D