Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Iowa Tom

Orbiting Space Suit To Emit Radio!

Use a simple police scanner or a ham radio tuned in at FM 145.990 MHz to listen to a disembodied spacesuit circling the Earth! It'll be released before you know it.

Get the news here.

Awesome! CITO in Space anyone? There's some 9000 trackable objects up there right now. Soon to be 9001. ;) At least this one will burn up soon. :lol:

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

This is really cool, I plan on trying to listen for it. :ph34r:

Everybody should post time, date, and info of any contacts with SuitSat here in this thread.

--Marky, K6FTF

When exactly is this supposed to be? I've been hearing about it more and more on the news but I'm not sure when to listen!

It has been released. According to NASA it is getting about 8 km farther from the ISS with each orbit (about 90 minutes). Because of atmospheric drag it is closing in on the earth faster than the ISS and so is speeding up. That means it'll be ahead of the Station. More info can be found here:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/articles/Ba...itsat/index.php

I cannot get the J-Pass site to display all that they used to display but I was able to see when all the passes of the ISS would be through my sky day or night by going to http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/Jpass/25/JPass.asp . Under "options", "critera" click on "all passes" then jump ahead and see what if anything is coming. The NASA J-Pass site requires JAVA. At space-weather.com I read that a very few people have detected a faint signal so far. Personally I would rather see it reenter!

Good luck.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

The SuitSat.org site was interesting - it seems a lot of people have heard it, but even more haven't heard it. I guess you can't prove a negative, though, can you? Just because people don't hear it doesn't mean it's not transmitting successfully, and indeed some people ARE hearing it. I wish my little HT could hear it, that's my only rig right now! I will have to live vicariously through others.

The satellite died after 2 orbits.

No, it didn't. But it's power is a lot lower than anticipated. You need a high gain antenna to listen to it and you won't hear it at all if it's below 40 degrees. I'm still waiting for it to come back overhead to try and hear it.

I have been trying the site of the JPass but I was out in the field all weekend so I missed the chances up until now.

When using the JPass is the cross hair on your location? If so I assume the further from the cross hair on the 'Next pass' the less chance of hearing it?

If the cross hair is your position looking up then it appears I may have a chance around 2m tuesday morning, but I am sure I will have to figure out how far ahead of the ISS it is.

If someone has figured this out and wants to offer friendly advice, I would not be minding at all. :laughing:

The satellite died after 2 orbits.

No, it didn't. But it's power is a lot lower than anticipated. You need a high gain antenna to listen to it and you won't hear it at all if it's below 40 degrees. I'm still waiting for it to come back overhead to try and hear it.

At the time of my posting, it was dead... Apparently it was a temporary thing from the batteries being cold, and the suit is operating now.