Catagory Proposal: Bird Watching Locations

I like this idea, but not because I am a birder (I'm not).

I think there needs to be a higher level category for gathering together subcategories of places you can go to view living animals. I have made a couple of suggestions regarding places to view live fish (aquariums, fish hatcheries, and fish ladders). I can see a number other related categories:

Wildlife sanctuaries

Whale spotting locations

Petting zoos

Reptile farms

:

:

etc.

I think bird watching locations is another perfect fit, and could help round out such a higher level category.

I do realize that there is already a Zoo category under the heading of Sports and Recreation - I think it would be a better fit under this 'Places to View Living Animals' category.

:lol:

edit: added clarification about whether or not I am a bird watcher. I am not.

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Bird watching should only pertain to locations that 'Birders' would use, not such as zoos or aviaries or your backyard.

There are many observation towers along marshes and waterways or flightways where certain birds tend to migrate each year.

2 thumbs up for this category

Point Pelee Birding Tours

Aransas Pass Coastal Birding Trail-Texas

Hawai'ian Birding Locations

pwrlvl2a.gif

---> KyroCaching <---

;) What took you so long??? <_<

Set it up and post the link when you are ready!

Any locations good for birdwatching. This catagory would be helpful to any birders out there. There should be a valid reason WHY a waymark is good for birdwatching, e.g. if there are 15 or so resident species.

I see major problems with this. Primarily, it seems to me that it is going to be very difficult to give a precise definition of what qualifies for a waymark in this category -- and the exact place to take the coordinates.

My older brother is an avid birder, and I know he has favorite haunts -- a marsh here, a stretch of river, a lake or pond, or he may walk several miles of beach. Birders are literally all over the place. So, which swamp or stretch of a river qualifies? Does it have to have some sort of "official" designation? An Audobon Center? And, there is already a category for Wildlife Sanctuaries. Maybe it has to appear in some directory somewhere?

I do think we need more nature categories, so I hope you'll be able to refine this so that it is meaningful and useable by the Waymarking community!

Why don't you work on a description and requirements then post it here for comments and feedback?