How Many West Virginians Are Here?

ScoutingWV

FROM SPENCER. CONSIDERING THE POSSIBLITY OF ADVERTISING ACROSS THE STATE TO FORM A REGIONAL CLUB TO HOST A CACHE FOR CASH EVENT WITH FREE FOOD. LOCAL SPONSORS WOULD PROBABLY GO FOR IT.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

Kind of depends on the details of what you have in mind. If you'd rather share them out of the forums, feel free to email me through my profile.

I think you'd get support for a regional group. Some of us up here have been thinking along those lines as well.

I've submitted a cache that would create some state-wide interest, but it hasn't received final reviews yet, so I can't really give a bunch of details on it.

Definitely interested in pulling something together ...

Saturday would probably be better for people who want to go to church, but we can do it on Sunday... I don't care.

I've got a smoker and learned how to make BBQ when I lived in TX.

I'm thinking along the lines of 30lbs of brisket.

I'm being selfish. I work Saturday mornings and yes I go to church. But I can make an all day thing on Sunday. Geeze, that's selfish hun. Whatever, I will try my best. Set it up.

Morgantown.

Have considered doing an event cache at Cooper's Rock in the spring.

This is a great park and a beautiful part of the state ! ! !

Count us in - we would enjoy attending an event here - might even have to do some camp/caching to find some of the great new caches in the Motown area.

Do you have any tentative plans?

-- Team BattleCache --

Yes, my tentative plans are to hold it at Cooper's rock in the spring. LOL!

Actually, I would have to schedule it around turkey season (as I shall be using my GPS for other things...) so probably after the last week of may. I'd rent out one of the big pavilions, and make up a bunch of BBQ, burgers and dogs.

Having never hosted one of these before, I'll need some help in the planning/execution. Is it bad form to ask for a donation to cover supplies? I know the pavilions rent for about $100 a day, and if I make up 30 lbs of BBQ, it'll cost about $100 in meat/wood.

Would asking folks to kick in something in the $5-10 range be out of line?

There are 4 caches IN cooper's rock SF, and then there are about 60 or so right around Morgantown, so there's plenty of caching to be done (except for me... I've found 'em all. LOL!)

Yes, my tentative plans are to hold it at Cooper's rock in the spring. LOL!

Actually, I would have to schedule it around turkey season (as I shall be using my GPS for other things...) so probably after the last week of may. I'd rent out one of the big pavilions, and make up a bunch of BBQ, burgers and dogs.

Having never hosted one of these before, I'll need some help in the planning/execution. Is it bad form to ask for a donation to cover supplies? I know the pavilions rent for about $100 a day, and if I make up 30 lbs of BBQ, it'll cost about $100 in meat/wood.

Would asking folks to kick in something in the $5-10 range be out of line?

There are 4 caches IN cooper's rock SF, and then there are about 60 or so right around Morgantown, so there's plenty of caching to be done (except for me... I've found 'em all. LOL!)

You might want to talk to the park manager and see if they will donate the shelter or reduce the cost if you make your event a CITO event and let them know that a lot of trash would be removed from the state forest area,even ask them where they need an area cleaned in the forest. Just an idea to help you out on setting this up as I will most likely attend it once you set it up!!

Born in Petersburg, and went to WVU, but living in South Jersey now. The family is from WV for as far back as we can trace things. I get back to Pendleton county every couple of years for reunions and such, and my VERY EARLY caching attempts were in that area. Didn't know enough to log DNFs then, but I'm due for a trip back maybe this summer.

During breaks I'm in Ridgeley(Mineral County). During school I live in the dorms of Shepherd University, Shepherdstown(Jefferson County). There are about six of us interested at Shepherd, and more than likely all of us would be more than willing to come out to an event cache if there's ever one relatively close by. ;)

We're in the Williamstown/Vienna area - Wood County, - good to meet you in Wheeling ScoutingWV

Same here, BrainTreks. It's always good to put faces with GeoNicks. Can't believe I'm just gettting back to this thread. Been busy with the WV DeLorme Challenge lately...

Need to go find some caches of my own this weekend.

There are currently 4 other forums for WV now...

Tri State area (WV, KY, OH)

MAGPI (Mountaineer Geocaching Persons of Interest) Mostly Morgantown/Fairmont/Clarksburg area, but there are several of us from other parts of the state who are active on there...hence why there is also a sMAGPI portion of the site (the "s" referring to "Southern").

Statewide Outdoor Adventure Sport site including geocaching This is a site I created.

Ohio Valley Geocaching (northern panhandle area)

There has been some rumbling of a group formed in the eastern panhandle as well, but I don't know their website yet.

Hope these links help others. I created the WVMountainsport site because I didn't know of the other groups. Maybe these links will save other folks the effort and headache of getting in touch with other WV cachers.