Feature That Many Would Want ! ! !

minismiths

To all,

After discussing this topic with several seasoned cacher's. I would like to see a tab on the my account profile page to include a watchlist that is for cacher's. It would be nice to be able to follow the stats of cacher's you choose without having to search each one of them out individually (one at a time). It would be simular to a cache watchlist but it would show the persons stats icon. Sound simple. Any Ideas ?

Shawn

minismiths.com

so in other words, you'd like to be able to see a side by side stats comparison of multiple people, that you'd specically pick?

Check them one at time doesn't work. And opt in like Keen people, and 'everyone in a state over X' like grand high pooba, don't do it for you.

Again I think the message is not being presented correctly by me. It is not for the competition, my sister, my dad, my friend that moved to the west coast, etc. I think it would be a NICE feature so you can see where they are at for congrats and whatever else.

Bookmark their profile pages in your browser. Then each one is a click or two away.

Somewhere around here are the instructions for including your stats banner in other web pages. You could code your own html file to include the banners of each person you are interested in and save that file on your local drive. Bookmark that and all the stats you want are one click away. (Though I'd make sure that doing this is within the TOS of the site. Seems to me that I've heard of people having their access limited for hitting the server with such a page.)

Again I think the message is not being presented correctly by me. It is not for the competition, my sister, my dad, my friend that moved to the west coast, etc. I think it would be a NICE feature so you can see where they are at for congrats and whatever else.

Its being presented properly, its just that most people that posted so far do not want it. Its an old idea. If search was up you could see its been thought about before. Sorry I dont want it either.

A local cacher set up his own site for people he knows.

I like it!

I have friends and family that I occasionally check on to see how much fun they are having. I think that is what OP is asking for. And if a few friends decide they want friendly competition, so what?

I am NOT advocating OP's program request because that horse died years ago and the dadgum thing still won't get up.

Bookmark their profile pages in your browser. Then each one is a click or two away.

Use Firefox and put 'em all in a tabbed browsing folder - snag 'em at once.

The majority of people I've seen post in topics like this one (Knowing who's watching a cache, or, I want to hide my stats, or, I wanna track my buddies caching) have mostly ended up with people expressing their concern for privacy.

It's easier to do like others suggested... use the TABS feature in Firefox, or Bookmark/Favorite everyone you want to Geo-Track and see it that way.

You can even copy the link to their little Stats Banner and make your own web page to view them all at once, then click on the image to see their profile in full.

The only way your suggestion would ever fly is if you had to get permission from the Cacher to be watched... and people already feel that there is too much information about our movements already....

The security of people's private lives is important too... you could find out that I go caching every Saturday... and determine the best time to break into my house... or if you see that I signed up for an Event Cache that I will be out for the evening.... or maybe you are tracking an ex-love interest and monitoring who they go caching with now... there are dozens of reasons why people wouldn't want this to be available.

And to add that level of security... when there are other options already available, I'm guessing not likely to happen.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

A feature similar to flickr's contacts where you can see their recent logs and photos all together in a river of news type format would be good for keeping up with who's having fun in the local area or friends who are elsewhere. I'd like it to combine caches on my watchlist AND cachers on my watchlist - and just serve it up - photos and logs.

No stats involved. No competition involved either. Just about community.

Individual bookmark pages is fine for people with time on their hands, but a lot of people already use RSS aggregators and they are familiar with using similar technologies.

I find it odd that competition is always raised as an argument against this kind of tracking, given that the small portion of geocachers who frequent the forums are the ones who most see geocaching as a community activity, and they would most likely be the ones to see the use of the feature.

The security of people's private lives is important too... you could find out that I go caching every Saturday... and determine the best time to break into my house... or if you see that I signed up for an Event Cache that I will be out for the evening.... or maybe you are tracking an ex-love interest and monitoring who they go caching with now... there are dozens of reasons why people wouldn't want this to be available.

It's already available on the site, it's just that no one can use it that way and they have to use third party tools offline.

The only thing stopping people building their own systems for everyone to use (like Google Maps, Frapper, Flickr etc) is the site TOU and a lack of an API or web service.

It's a good idea. In the old stats site they had a similar concept in that you could see the most recent logs of who was caching in your area. It let you know when a friend came through, or when newbies appeared and started finding all the caches you found years ago. People like to be recognized. It was handy at events to say "oh you are the one who just logged..." and they feel better than what we have now. "You have been caching a year? Nope never heard of you...." just because they found all the old stuff you found and don't track individually via the watch list.

In that same stats site you could see the logs of individual cachers (same as you can do on this site).

Your idea is a bit different since you can see what your friends have been up to in the geoaching world. TPTB have discussed this idea and as far as I know it's in the works for some future date.

I'm all for stats including these kinds of things that you can do with the same information you need for stats even if they aren't about 'the numbers'.

It sounds to me like you just want to see the stats banner for a few or several of your friends.

Just create an html doc with links to their banners, save it on you pc and bookmark it. When you click on your favorite/bookmark/whatever, you'll get a page that shows their banners. Each a link to their profile.