Wanted...garmin Mapping Software

Not sure if I can post a wanted item but if anyone has a copy of garmin mapsource metroguide thay would like to sell please mail me. I have somehow deleted the basemap from my vista (despite being told by Garmin this is impossible!).

I was waiting for the new UK TOPO to be released but need something now as I am foillowing a blank orange screen round now!

regards.

Not sure if I can post a wanted item but if anyone has a copy of garmin mapsource metroguide thay would like to sell please mail me. I have somehow deleted the basemap from my vista (despite being told by Garmin this is impossible!).

I'd agree with Garmin - short of almost destroying the unit, it IS impossible.

Most people who think their basemap has gone, have only switched it off.

Go into the "Map Setup" menu, click on the <i> icon, and see if the basemap is still listed. If so, there should be a checkmark beside it. Click on this with the clicky-stick to restore the basemap.

-Wlw

Edited by wildlifewriter

I'd agree with Garmin - short of almost destroying the unit, it IS impossible.

Most people who think their basemap has gone, have only switched it off.

Go into the "Map Setup" menu, click on the <i> icon, and see if the basemap is still listed. If so, there should be a checkmark beside it. Click on this with the clicky-stick to restore the basemap.

-Wlw

I agree with wlw on this, you can turn them off but I don't think you can delete them.

As for the new maps, I believe that they will only be working with the newer 'X' models and Garmin PDA models.

Thanks for the replies. In Map setup there is no longer any map name, there used to be but now it has gone. Additionally on the navigation screen, under the scale in the dreaded 'no map' wording. Despite what Garmin say there is definately no map remaining on my vista. I can't find any basemap to download anywhere, hence I need something to load and guessed the metroguide model would be the cheapest and easiest to source second hand as it doesn't need an unlock code.

Moote, as I see from the Garmin site the TOPO map for the UK is ready and should work on the non x models (it is shown as a Cd, not a memory card). Unfortunately, no dealer I have found has it in stock.

Anyone out there can help it would be appreciated.

About 3 days ago I looked at the Garmin website as it was anounced that these maps were coming. At that point in time there was a compatability chart, this indicated that these would only function on the 'X' series and PDA models, that chart is no longer there, and the Topo maps page don't display what models they will work on now.

Guess they might have made an error posting the info.

It sounds like you have an imported Vista, with an Americas basemap. The seller may have claimed it had a UK/Europe basemap, but just presinstalled MapSource MetroGuide or World Map or similar on it.

So you have deleted the UK mapping, but the Americas basemap is still there.

I suspect Topo GB will work on the Vista, but it will require lots of memory, so you will only be able to load a small area at a time (or a larger area if its somewhere flat...).

Hi, the topo V2 Great Britain, has not been delivered to any dealers for distribution yet, we expect delivery 1st week Feb, if all goes to plan, then straight out to dealers. The topo will only operate in the new "X" series models, as far as Garmin officially says, but I will trial as soon as is released.

Topo Here

Gekocacher

The link also says there are paths and tracks but don't expect them to be up to the detail of MM though.I have looked at the map viewer on Garmins web site of my local area and a lot of the unmetaled roads and paths are missing.

Dave

Spoken to Garmin today, & I have managed to officially confirm that the new V2 Great Britain will be compatible with all mapping model Garmin units, colour & black & white versions.

The quality is poorer on black & white versions of Legend, venture & vista & will run slower, due to them being older models.

You will be limited to the units internal memory size, as to how much you can download in to it.

You will need the new 60Cx & CSx, to get the best viewing as these models will have extended resolution built into them.

All future new models will also incorporate extended resolution also.

There is also the Legend Cx & Vista Cx

The mapping will also incorporate road data which you will be able to perform autorouting with, model dependant.

Topo here

Gekocacher