A Little Friendly Competition

I hear rumors that my competition has sparked a similar contest in the Ohio Historic Markers Category. It's zoomed from two waymarks to 62 in the past week. Interesting. The Buckeyes think they can beat us in the Keystone State for the most historic markers that are waymarked. What do they do there, put up historic markers for "oldest cornfields?" :wacko:

Edited by The Leprechauns

Picking on another Waymark Catagory are ya?

Trying to make yours look better by making the other's look badly?

Afraid of a little competition, it would seem.... :lol:

Haven't you ever heard that "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery"?

First he picks on the McDonald's Catagory, now another State's Historical Plaques.... oh the humanity!

:wacko:

:lol: The Blue Quasar

BTW.. that 300th Waymark WAS very impressive, nice job KORDITE

Thanks Blue Quasar for seeing my joke. ;) I would like to see more friendly competitions, and more interest in Waymarking. And it helps that I'm friends with the guy who's offering the prize in the Ohio version of the contest.

I am looking ahead to the day when all or most U.S. states, Canadian provinces, etc. have their own subcategories for historical markers. We'd be chatting together in a forum thread devoted *just* to historical markers. Rather than a geocoin, the current prize in 2007 would be site-awarded "bounty points" given to lots of people in proportion to their contribution to the total number of waymarks in their home area. The subcategory with the highest percentage of eligible locations waymarked would win the contest. And I would hope for that percentage to be astronomical, like in the 80's or 90's.

But for now, "Pennsylvania vs. Ohio" is a great start. :D

McDonald's: plugging along slowly and now at 279 waymarks. Ya want fries with that?

Ohio Historic Markers: hot hot hot, on fire with 82 waymarks now, creeping up on Georgia, which has 128. Excellent!

Pennsylvania Historic Markers: 311 total, but there are a *lot* of waymarks pending in the review queue. Nobody has won the contest yet, and I've only verified 11 of the pending submissions, but if you plan on scoring the second geocoin, Sunday's your day to do it.

The Leprechauns Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Pennsylvania Historic Markers: 311 total, but there are a *lot* of waymarks pending in the review queue. Nobody has won the contest yet, and I've only verified 11 of the pending submissions, but if you plan on scoring the second geocoin, Sunday's your day to do it.

Great.... can you make me a GPX file, with full descriptions so I can visit them and learn the fascinating history of your State?

I'm kidding.

Hopefully one day the regular user will be able to generate Pocket Queries and see the entire list. Hoping that Bootron (or whoever it is that does it) is able to that for us. It would be a great way to see them all on a map too.

I noticed a Job Listing for Groundspeak for the Waymarking area

ASP.NET Web Developer (Full-Time)

We're looking for an experienced ASP.Net web developer to join a small group managing the (as yet released) Waymarking.com web site. You will be in a unique position to be on the ground floor of a new innovative concept using GPS technology and the outdoors. If you're feeling constrained by your large company's bureaucracy and are bursting with new ideas, Groundspeak is your outlet.

You must be an experienced web designer and developer with an eye for UI, a drive to implement your ideas, and a genuine interest in GPS technology and the outdoors. No slackers or cogs please.

Skills:

* ASP.Net, VB.NET (C# welcome) – Senior level

* Strong Design and/or development process experience

* Web Development (HTML/CSS) - 4-6 years

* Enterprise Web application development (client/server) – Senior level

* XML experience - MUST have 1+ years minimum

* ADO.NET programming with Microsoft SQL Server

* T-SQL experience including writing stored procedures

* Excellent Communication Skills

* Experience with GPS handheld devices and systems

So maybe it is just a matter of "filling the hole".

Either way.... I will try to be more patient.... afterall, it's just "non-tupperware in the non-woods" right? :blink:

:) The Blue Quasar

I am very happy to announce the winner of the second Volunteer Geocoin bounty. Mocadeki spent the weekend driving around southeast Pennsylvania, adding 43 waymarks to the Pennsylvania Historic Markers category. 40 of these were "roadside" historic markers that met all of the contest requirements. Here is a link to their well-earned bounty.

I have no present plans to offer any further prizes. I am delighted to see that offering "bounties" can lead to some crazy good fun, much like going on a "numbers run" for geocaches. It's a great way to jump-start interest in a category, or to promote a friendly rivalry between categories. Speaking of which, here's the current standings:

Pennsylvania Historic Markers: 347 waymarks.... errr, 348, I just added one of my own.

Recovered Benchmarks: 304 waymarks (Way to go, benchmarkers! You'll be in first place very soon.)

McDonald's Restaurants: 280 waymarks (Mayor McCheese weeps with embarrassment)

Ohio Historic Markers: 88 waymarks (the up and comers)

Once again...

Congratulations, Mocadeki!

I am very happy to announce the winner of the second Volunteer Geocoin bounty. Mocadeki spent the weekend driving around southeast Pennsylvania, adding 43 waymarks to the Pennsylvania Historic Markers category. 40 of these were "roadside" historic markers that met all of the contest requirements. Here is a link to their well-earned bounty.

I'm happy to announce that The Moops have earned themselves a Geocoin Club Locationless Geocoin (February 2006 issue) for being the first to post 50 Ohio Historical Marker Waymarks. The prize for 100, which is an unregistered 2005 Midwest GeoBash Geocoin, is still far from any single person's grasp. I will add another prize to the bounty soon, though. Announcements are being posted at GeocacheOhio.com.

The last time I looked, Ohio Historical Markers was in 14th place with 92 Waymarks. We're on pace to pass PA in a month or two!

Edited by Bjorn74

Thanks for the challenge. We had fun doing it. It was something a little different than we're used to and we wanted to help out the Pennsylvania category. We'll add them when we see them. I already checked to see which ones are near my parent's house for when we visit them. Too bad I don't have the coords for one of these signs at a really interesting virtual cache I did in NW PA last fall..

Edited by Mocadeki

First and foremost, congratulations to The Moops for their achievement in the Ohio Historic Markers category. And seriously, this competition is all in good fun. As far as I'm concerned, the more categories that pass up McDonald's, the better! :huh: It looks like benchmarking will take over the top spot if they continue on their current pace. I think that's great!

As for Pennsylvania vs. Ohio, perhaps it is time to see how deep the stockpiles are for our respective supplies of bribes, errr, bounties. At some point, it will become important to know which state has more historic markers. Maybe the ultimate contest is to see which state gets 100% of their markers into the database first!

What should the next bounty be awarded for in Pennsylvania? First person to 150 markers (old ones included)? First person to record markers in 15 different counties?

As I predicted, the Benchmarking category is now at the top of the standings for Waymark Categories with the Most Waymarks, by a score of 360 to 356. I knew that would happen -- they have the whole country to draw upon! Congratulations to the benchmarkers, and to Black Dog Trackers who is doing a great job in managing this category.

OK, so how long until something else cool leaps into third place over McDonald's (284 waymarks)? The race is between Water Towers (218) and Fountains (212). That reminds me, I have three or four fountains that I never wrote up and submitted. I will try to get to that soon!

As I predicted, the Benchmarking category is now at the top of the standings for Waymark Categories with the Most Waymarks, by a score of 360 to 356. I knew that would happen -- they have the whole country to draw upon! Congratulations to the benchmarkers, and to Black Dog Trackers who is doing a great job in managing this category.

OK, so how long until something else cool leaps into third place over McDonald's (284 waymarks)? The race is between Water Towers (218) and Fountains (212). That reminds me, I have three or four fountains that I never wrote up and submitted. I will try to get to that soon!

Just nine days later, and without the aid of any new contests, the scoreboard now reads:

394 Benchmarks

393 Pennsylvania Historic Markers

289 McDonalds

157 Ohio Historic Markers (WOW)

132 Georgia Historic Markers

69 California Historic Markers

I believe we've got what you'd call "momentum." Can't wait for the category proposal and management process to roll out, so that we can get subcategories in other states, provinces and countries! I will be turning over much of the day-to-day management of the Pennsylvania category to others (the people who had fun filling it up with waymarks), so that I can concentrate on building a worldwide community of people interested in historic marker Waymarking categories.

The race is between Water Towers (218) and Fountains (212). That reminds me, I have three or four fountains that I never wrote up and submitted. I will try to get to that soon!

You could write up the Trevi Fountain a couple of more times:

Trevi Fountain

Fontana di Trevi (the Trevi Fountain by any other name is still the Trevi Fountain)

Ya..I'm hoping that group management fixes stuff like this :lol:

Congrats BDT for keeping up those Benchmarks. That's gotta be a tough one to manage.

Edited by Touchstone

157 Ohio Historic Markers (WOW)

Ohio's come on strong, but we need to recruit people across the state to continue the push. It seems that we may need to circumvent the traditional targets of challenges like this. Some areas are very stuck in the way of the smiley.

Since this number was posted, both Fountains and Water Towers leapfrogged over OHM.

I was posting more to illustrate how the four historic marker categories compared to #1 (benchmarking) and the old leader (McDonald's). If you lump them all together, historic markers rool the site so far.

I suppose someone could look up the category counts for fountains and waterfalls and post if motivated to keep score with those, too. I'm busy -- almost done with my income taxes. :laughing:

This category was just added to the fray,

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/default...01-ceed86ceb178 and yes my sister in law lives in Va; so I had a photo of a waymark that fit the category already, and was able to create yet another waymark. I am loving the creation stage. I do live near Pa, but I could not get out when you announced your friendly competition. Fortunately, I think odragon rocks and he deserves his coin.. ( I know him as he belongs to our local geocaching group.)

Claiming a little braggin rights here: out of my 215 waymarks they are in 73 different categories.

Edited by chstress53