Who Cares About Coin Icons Anymore?

ChileHead

Now that there are approximately thirty thousand different icons for state, personal and organizational coins, does anybody really care about them anymore?

Used to be a new state coin with a new icon was something to be coveted. But now that there are so many, I'm saying who cares? The stats pages are a real mess, even with the nice split that occurred recently with 'trackables'.

Maybe the vets don't care much anymore, but I have to say we love seeing the icons show up. It's a kind of quick reference journal to look at and say, "Hey, remember when we found that one? I wonder how far it made it. That was a great cache, we should go back and hike that again". For so many reasons, it's fun to look back, but even better is to see your icon on someone else's profile page when you check them out. It's not about a score system, it's just fun. :(

Maybe the vets don't care much anymore, but I have to say we love seeing the icons show up. It's a kind of quick reference journal to look at and say, "Hey, remember when we found that one? I wonder how far it made it. That was a great cache, we should go back and hike that again". For so many reasons, it's fun to look back, but even better is to see your icon on someone else's profile page when you check them out. It's not about a score system, it's just fun. :(

That is about our extent to liking the icons, nice reminder of the different coins we have helped move along.

I have decided that unless we find one in a cache, that I don't think we will log them anymore (only did that a couple times) I also have decided that we will only activate released coins, so while we have very few owned coin icons at the moment, we do own quite afew of them. I'm waiting to release some of them until there are more 'cheap' and large quantity coins out in the wild so that they are less likely to get stolen.

Personally, I could care less. I bought some MD geocoins when they came out, but I actually deployed them as travellers, not as collectibles or tradables. I actually have no clue what coin collecting has to do with Geocaching, nor why the same powers-that-be that were so vocal and adamant about removing virtuals and locationless because, well, "they're not geocaches", are so quick to add another half-dozen trackable icons every month.

Maybe I should start a site called iconcollecting.com, whereby you don't actually have to have, find, mint or buy a physical coin. For $30 a year, you get an account and then every month or so I will publish icons that you can put on your profile page for, oh, say five bucks or so. :(

I have to say, I was addicted to geocoins and icons. I've broken the "gotta have every geocoin" addiction and I think I've gotten over the "gotta have every icon" addiction. With the addition of personal icons, I've gotten selective on which icons I want. If I think it's a cool icon (BadAndy), I'll get the coin. But if IMO it's not, I'll pass.

I actually have no clue what coin collecting has to do with Geocaching, nor why the same powers-that-be that were so vocal and adamant about removing virtuals and locationless because, well, "they're not geocaches", are so quick to add another half-dozen trackable icons every month.

Cha-ching! If locationless and virtuals had been profit making ventures (as individual icons are), you would have seen an entirely different outcome.

Not that there's anything wrong with profit.

Windrose

I guess I do. As soon as I saw that a White Jeep TB popped up in a nearby cache I flew out of the house to the cache just so I could retrieve it. I was nice though, I retrieved it, wrote down the tag number and dropped it off in another cache on the way home. I'd probably do the same if I saw a trackable coin pop up.

i wonder when we are gonna lose geocoins and tb's like we lost locationlesses

hmm trackables.com? lol

Probably not as long as Groundspeak is getting $150 per icon and $1.50 per coin tracking number.

I'll bet if people were willing to pay $150 to list them, locationless would suddenly become geocaches again.

Edited by ParrotRob
Now that there are approximately thirty thousand different icons for state, personal and organizational coins, does anybody really care about them anymore?

Used to be a new state coin with a new icon was something to be coveted. But now that there are so many, I'm saying who cares? The stats pages are a real mess, even with the nice split that occurred recently with 'trackables'.

<_<... ok, my question is (and this is not an attack) Has the environment changed or have you just changed how you look at it?

I have recently become very selective on what coins I buy, if I like it, I'll get 1-2. I'll activate the ones I'm keeping, but have only logged ones I've seen in caches /events. I started out big but have slacked off considerably, not that big a deal anymore.....

Edited by tdecell

For the folks that have built a large collection of coins, icons may not be a big deal anymore.

For the vast majority of geocachers that don't have a coin collection, finding a coin in a cache and getting a spiffy new icon is a BIG deal. Spread the love and put some of those coins into caches.

I don't do the mad dash, but if I see a cache with an icon I don't have yet, it gets my attention and I'll consider visiting it. There are locals dropping off travelling Geocoins in caches, and I've helped them along a few times already.

If there are novel Geocoins at events and gatherings, I'll log them (Volunteer Geocoin, for example). In any case, I try to tie my "icon collecting" with non-virtual Geocaching activities.

I think I've taken the Geocoin Hype in moderation from the outset, so my attitude hasn't changed that much.

I guess I'm a selective Icon Ho... I'm trying to collect the state and country icons, because they're cool (and because a local cacher seems to be releasing them into local caches often). The coins that I've started buying are only for their cool factor - they I will add to my personal collection so I can exchange icons with friends that might have different collections.

I hear all the grumbling about there being too many icons and coins and just what they have to do with Geocaching. I personally don’t really know what they have to do with Geocaching except it is fun. Isn’t that what this is all about? Getting out and enjoying the good friends and great hides is what Geocaching is all about. The coins are just a bonus to the real sport and fun thanks to cachers like moun10bike. What will make it more fun is for all collectors to drop more coins in caches so new cachers can find them and start their own collections and list of icons. :D

Edited by big rick
I refuse to log coins unless I find it in a cache and help move it along (and since I opened my own account I haven't found a single mover in a cache.)

That is the same way I'm playing the coin game. Though I would log a find of an individual I met on the trails that carries a traveller for others to log. (our geo-pups TB is her mileage tracker as well as can be grabbed if you meet her on the trails)

I also will only activate travellers (with the exception for mileage trackers)

Many of us that seek geocoins don't actually collect them. We log them, then drop them in a cache.

For us, the icon page is our coin album.

I like the icons.

I do like the icons, and they are part of my traveller 'collection' I try and take pictures of all the travellers we help along the way. That is part of our "geocaching trophy case", so far it only consists of pictures and one set of sig items received with a coin trade.

I am collecting coins, though I am not trying for them all, and very few personals are part of it. currently only personals that have meaning to us. hopefully we will get to some in person trades once we get our personal coin done.

Our trackables page will only list items we helped move along, or that we have released.

This seems a strange post for someone that has 28 different icons listed on their trackables page and has minted 2 personal geocoins.

I myself like collecting geocoins. I have both non-trackable and trackable with icons. I find it a interesting sub-division of geocaching.

I will have to agree that it has gotten out of hand lately with all the none geocaching related coins being minted.