My Archived Cache Isn't Working As A Waymark

I expected the same too. After all, the user base for Waymarking is no where the user base of geocaching. But, I never expected such a drastic drop. 8+ visitors a month to no visitors for almost half a year! I would understand better if the waymark location was in a hard to get to and/or mostly unpopulateded area. But this waymark is in the middle of a very large population center (NYC) and in an area that is visited by many tourists all throughout the year and from all over the globe.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Glenn

Waymarking doesn't get nearly the traffic that Geocaching does, nor have we officially announced the Waymarking.com web site - even to the Geocaching community at large. We have been holding back from announcing the site until group functionality is in place.

I do, however, expect that visits will be far less due to the additional opportunities for waymarkers that didn't exist on geocaching.com - IMO this is a good thing but it will take some time before communities form around different waymark categories.

I agree with Wiz Creations. Why on earth did you archive your web cam? Web cams can still be created on gc.com. It is not a locationless cache . I was recently in NY and discovered that you had archived this one. What a shame !!!

As too the traffic. My understanding of waymarks is that the current "game " is mostly in the creation of waymarks ( discovering locations) not yet logging/finding them. First a base needs to be established before serious loggin/ hunting will occur. Yes logging is happening, mostly by those of us who are busy creating places that will eventually be logged.

Yes, I've found that waymark categories get visited a decent amount, but the waymarks themselves don't get many visits at all. There is no FTW crowd yet. Maybe when there are waymark pocket queries and new waymark notifications. :D

--Marky

Without downloadable co-ordinates trying to find waymarks is a hassle. The three physical waymarks that I have logged visits to where all local locations that I knew of and didn't need my GPSr to find. But having to hand load co-ordinates into my GPSr is no fun, so for now I do not look for waymarks on any of my trips.

chstress53  Posted on Jan 30 2006, 09:37 PM

I agree with Wiz Creations. Why on earth did you archive your web cam? Web cams can still be created on gc.com. It is not a locationless cache .

Actually, you cannot create a Web Cam Cache on Geocaching anymore. That ended on January 1st of this year.

I'd also be surprised if any Reviewer would even convert any caches to Web Cams....

I agree with Marky... hopefully when the PQ's and other Geocaching Features we've come to depend upon are migrated over to Waymarking, and the formal announcement and interest grows... Waymarking will begin to take off.

:o The Blue Quasar

chstress53  Posted on Jan 30 2006, 09:37 PM

I agree with Wiz Creations. Why on earth did you archive your web cam? Web cams can still be created on gc.com. It is not a locationless cache .

Actually, you cannot create a Web Cam Cache on Geocaching anymore. That ended on January 1st of this year.

You can't create them, but they aren't archived. (just to reiterate)