Magellan Explorist 200 + 210

radams

I want to make sure that my gps can have latitude and longitude able to be put into it. I just got an Explorist 200 but dont know if it can be used for geocaching? is it worth more just to get the 210 with the geocaching features? i havent opened it yet, so i can still switch.

The 210 is worth it simply for the PC connectivity. No need to enter coords manually, it's a lot quicker to just upload them all to the unit. But the 210 allows for manual entry as well, and I would imagine the 200 does to.

I have a 210 and it was well worth the money for the features you get, awesome unit.

The 200 will work just fine for geocaching, but you should probably return it. You will probably outgrow the 200 faster than the 210. Should you want to load topo or street maps, you can with the 210 but not the 200. If you ever want to use your GPS for autorouting, you can with the 210 but not the 200. The 210 packs a good punch for $US150. I had an eXplorist 100, but I outgrew it after 13 months and upgraded to a 400. I wanted computer connectivity so I could be more efficient at caching as well as at work, where I occasionally use my GPSr.

Edited by geognerd

I had a 200, spent lots of time entering coordinates, turned it on three days later and found it had forgotten everything I had put into it. Back it went. I came to the forums here and did some reading. Someone posted a link to Asena Shops where they were offering Garmin Legend Adventure packs for $150. It came with the Legend, Topo USA, case, lanyard, serial cable, cigarette lighter power cable, and an instruction video. Had it in 5 days after ordering and I have been delighted with it. You can download cache coordinates from geocaching.com directly into the unit. You'll love it, great unit and it does meet the spec for waterproof.

GreytSilly

Get the 210 and don't worry about it. It is the better unit by far and of course contains newer technology. There is nothing that makes the 200 a better choice over the 210 so long as those two are what you are comparing. Unless I was exceedingly strapped for funds, I wouldn't even take a free 200 over purchasing a 210.