Surprise Caches!

Discombob

Have any of you ever been perusing the cache listing, and then one day, a page or so back, see a cache in your area that was never there before, and was never marked as new, even though you check every day?

This is always a bit of a surprise treat, as I was surprised to discover today that matata has kindly set up 3 caches in montagu earlier, just ready for the montagu Mayhem event :mad:

I think this happens if the cache is placed, and then logged a while later, with the original date of placing logged instead of the curent date - unless the reveiwer took a long time to reveiw.

I also noted Die Hel (Groot Winterhoek) and Maltese Cross (Cederberg) appeared recently... neither of which are marked as new. I should image the reviewer, perhaps, took issue with the placement or contents and wanted something to change before approval was granted.

Die Hel is a spectacular setting for a cache, and I can strongly advise cachers to make the trip out there.

I also noted Die Hel (Groot Winterhoek)

Die Hel is a spectacular setting for a cache, and I can strongly advise cachers to make the trip out there.

I was just out there last week and didn't see this cache. I was hiking in the reserve and would have welcomed the 'find' although there were other nice reasons to hike through Groot Winterhoek. There are three other caches along the route up there, as well. (I wasn't able to grab them though. :( )

I have had problems with never getting new caches listed for me in time. Thus, I have virtually no FTF's. Or that could be my sloathfulness!

Edited by vespaxvespa

To get a FTF one needs to be driven, live on the website, get updates as caches are published (premium member), and be willing to drive to the other side of the world while still at work. :(

That or just have the need to ensure a certain other cacher will not get the find. :(

Part 2

...  and was never marked as new, even though you check every day?

Hi,

the 'new' depends on the 'date placed' field in the cache form. I use to put here the actual date, I placed the cache outside. Then I will wait for 2-3 weeks to see if the cache don't get muggled. Only then, I enable the tick mark 'cache is currently active'. After that the cache description will be visible for the reviewer and after his approval the cache is visible for others. But the cache is not marked as 'new', because for the system it has already been placed for more than 2 weeks.

BTW, it is good way to see who is paying attention to details ;-).

Have a nice weekend !

Markus

Another new cache has just been approved - placed on December 16th by Peter Scholtz in the Cedarberg, but only approved on the 26th January. Perhaps the cache is placed on the date stated, but the geocacher only gets round to writing up the cache for approval at a much later date? This cache is listed on page 4 of the new caches in SA!

Must say there is hardly any delay with caches we place that require approval - we get a reply within a few hours every time.

TV&M