Having Problems With Cachemate

fireman121

This is starting to get old real quick, I am trying to go paperless caching but I keep running into road blocks. My first palm pilot which I bought off ebay stop working before I could figure out the plucker program. So I finally went out and bought a Palm Z22 for caching, I was having problem loading the plucker program on it. To many different options to pick. So I decided to try CacheMate.

So this is were I am at, I got the Pocket Queries coming to my e-mail address in zip files, and I have cachemate the free version loaded to my Z22. When I drag the zip file onto the file converter file, the file converter window pops up , along with the file import options. I configure it with all boxes check except for the decode hints by default box checked. I am getting these instructions of the Maryland GC Assoc. Web page. When I click on OK on that window, it come up with CMC Convert window along with how many files were converted., again I click on OK.

When I hit the HotSyns bottom on my PDA, it goes through the process, but the cache pages are not loaded. I can transfer other information between my palm and computer with no problem, so I figure I must be missing some thing in the process. After I loaded the caheMate to my Palm, it did have me reset my PDA, which I did.

Any ideals or suggestion , they will be greatly appreciated. If this has been covered in another thread sorry for the double post. :)

If I were at home, I could get you the answer easily. As I'm not, we'll just have to go with my memory. (We're in trouble... :) )

To get the files from Cachemate to your Z22 when you sync, you have to export them. I believe you click on "File" in the upper left corner of your Cachemate window and then select "Export". There may be a couple of options to choose from after that, but you should get confimation that the files will be uploaded next time you Hotsync.

Hope I remembered everything correctly! :)

And good luck!

The trial version will only hold a few caches. When I saw that, I sent in my $8.00 very quickly, and that is the best $8.00 I've ever spent on software. :mad:

I use GSAK and "Export" the sliced and diced and filtered Geocaches from GSAK in the correct format for my Palm M500.

Because I do not have a "normal" setup on my computer, I have to open the Palm desktop, click the Install tool, and then put the Exported file in the correct location so it will be installed to the card on my Palm at the next HotSync.

I have more than 1000 caches on my Palm. :(

fireman121, it sounds to me like a step is missing somewhere.

The process should involve all of these steps on the computer:

1. convert gpx to pdb with CMconvert.exe (or better yet, using GSAK)

2. the pdb file needs to be "installed" so that it will go through the conduit when hotsyncing. If CMconvert does not automatically do it, then you can try double-clicking on the pdb file or using the Quickinstall or Palm Desktop. The way that you know this is happening is that a dialog pops up on the PC's screen that asks you to select the name of the PDA that you want to load into. A second dialog will pop up showing the filename and giving you the opportunity to install the file on a memory card if the PDA has that. At the end click on "Done"

Now on the PDA:

3. now Hotsync

4. on the PDA there is no need to look for the file since Cachemate will find it for you. Open Cachemate. If you loaded the pdb file to the PDA's internal memory, then Cachemate will find it there and ask you what database you want to use (default is fine). If you forced the file to go to the memory card, then you may have to force Cachemate to "Rescan Memory Card" using that command on one of the pull-down menus.

(I echo the sentiment that Cachemate is well worth the price).

Looks like Hynr may be on to the problem... in the original post I don't see any mention of CMConvert's auto-install kicking off either (you'll see a "select user" dialog in that case after it tells you how many records were converted). That should happen automatically but, if it doesn't, either the option was turned off (check the CMConvert Options menu for that) or it can't find Palm Desktop for some reason.

If there were already 10 records in CacheMate when you tried to load a new import file, and it's still the trial mode you're running in, that would explain it not doing anything if the file was actually transferred.

You should have been sent a registration code by email. So when you open up cachemate click on cachmate and go over to options and a dialog box will pop up and go down to the heading register and type in the code that was went to you. You should be good to go after that. Hope that helps

Maybe I missed something (I am not familiar with these programs) but did you say your dropping the ZIP file onto this conversion program. can it read the contents of the zip file or do you need to unzip it first ?

Either way works... it can indeed read ZIP file contents (it only processes the first GPX file found, though).

Edited by Maeglin