Boat Lifts

Interesting idea.

Should the category be restricted to this type of boat lift, or should it include the more common (U.S. anyway) canal lock? Canal inclined planes are another method used to move boats between bodies of water at different elevations.

Perhaps a single category with a variable to distinguish between the three types?

Other possible variables:

Date of construction

Active/Inactive

Elevation difference

Capacity

Sounds good to me. I've always been fascinated by how locks work but never realized that these other types of things were even out there. I'm ok with including all of them.

(oops, got sidetracked googling "canal inclined plane")

I really like your variable list. I think the elevation difference and the year built are going to be fascinating.

Thanks for taking this one to the next step.

J

OK, one more message and I'll stop...

The link to this was originally posted in the Off Topic forum, What is It? Thread, page 153, by CacheNCarryMA. (I don't know how to put in a direct link, sorry)

I don't know if they have any Waymark ownership desires but want to make sure they get credit for introducing the picture to the forums.

Thanks,

J

Please provide your thoughts on this description for this proposed Waymark Category. I'd like to include information about places that historically used to have locks/planes/lifts but can remove these references if they are determined to be outside of the guidelines for waymarks.

Thanks,

~J of TeamRJMK~

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts

Heirarchy: Places/Transportation

Quick Description:

List examples of locks, planes, lifts and other methods to move boats between different elevations.

Detailed Description:

It is common for bodies of water to be at different elevations. Waterways connecting these bodies of water and rapids in a river are typical examples of places that cause problems for boats attempting to navigate this elevation difference. This category is for listing locks, planes, lifts and other examples of solutions to this problem.

Thank you to CacheNCarryMA for posting a link to the Falkirk Wheel which was the impetus for starting this category and to cache_test_dummies for helping expand and refine the category information.

Instructions for Placing Waymarks into this Category:

Find a lock, plane, lift or other method for moving boats between different elevations. Post a description along with capacity, historical information and pictures if available.

Locks, planes and lifts proposed as Waymarks may be currently active, in existence but not active, or purely historical and no longer in existence. Waymarks for items that no longer exist should reference the physical location where they once stood.

A single canal may have several sets of locks. Each set may be listed as a different waymark. For example, individual waymarks may be listed for the Gatun Locks, Pedro Miguel locks and Miraflores locks on the Panama Canal.

“Waterway Name” is the name of the waterway – for example, Erie Canal. “Type” should be “lock”, “lift”, “plane” or “other.” “Date Opened” is when it was first opened to transporting boats (if known) or construction date. “Elevation Difference” is the distance boats are raised or lowered. (Please include the units used for this – “feet” or “meters.”) “Site still exists” indicates that the lock, lift or plane or some remnant still remains. “Active/Inactive” should indicate whether it is still used to move boats. “Web Site” should be used to provide a link to more information if it is available.

Instructions for Logging Waymarks of this Category:

Logs marked as “visits” should be made after physically visiting the waymark location. Include a picture taken during the visit. Notes may be logged by individuals who have visited the web site or looked at the online information and would like to provide comments or feedback on the waymark.

Variables:

Waterway Name:

Type:

Date Opened:

Elevation Difference:

Site Still Exists:

Active/Inactive:

Web Site: