What Would You Add?

codeman3

Blootooth, We don't need no stinkin blootooth :)

Seriously lets get a fully intergrated wrist band type PDA with GPS, satelite, WIFI, digital camera, and uses one of those motion batteries like on those flashlights, so that it charges as you walk. Now that is what everyone needs. Oh yea and it has a phone.

I give it 10 years and they will all have this.

Blootooth, We don't need no stinkin blootooth :)

Seriously lets get a fully intergrated wrist band type PDA with GPS, satelite, WIFI, digital camera, and uses one of those motion batteries like on those flashlights, so that it charges as you walk. Now that is what everyone needs. Oh yea and it has a phone.

I give it 10 years and they will all have this.

Yeah, I think I saw one of those... on my kids' SpyKids movie. It was so full of features that there wasn't enough room for the clock, so it couldn't tell time... :)

Team Maccabee

voice input of coordinates and voice command:

"go to north thirty seven degrees fourteen point zero two one minutes, west ninety-seven degrees..."

"go to waypoint GCXXXX"

"switch to compass screen"

"switch to map screen, zoom out, pan right, track up"

"setup, tones off"

"begin recording track, end recording track"

"go to address: 1313 mockingbird lane" (and it would be smart enough to know you meant the city you're currently in if you didn't specify a city)

automatic detection of battery type

automatic charging of rechargeable battery types when connected to the car power cord

some way to 'beam' coords between units out in the field

a way to download all cache information for the 10-mile radius around your current position

a way to display the whole cache page including hints,

waypoint identifiers that are, oh say quite a bit longer than 6 or 10 characters. Is this 32 chars or 256 characters or what I don't know but 10 is too few.

x-ray mode where it projects an x-ray beam out away from the user and displays the x-rayed items on the screen, this way you could see right through that pile of sticks to see if there was an ammo can in it, without reaching your hand in and getting bit by a scorpion. Be sure to disable this before sticking it in your pocket or you'll give yourself cancer.

automatic setting of the correct time zone and daylight savings time mode based on your current position

Edited by Hugh Jazz

I want to be able to see the distance to destination to stay in feet instead of miles above 527.9 feet. Why can't I see that I am 2,345 Feet away?

I want to be able to designate one of my Data Fields to display the DATUM I am set to.

I want to be able to bring up a list of Nearest Waypoints and have it continuously update the list while driving.

Thrak Posted on Jan 25 2006, 08:43 PM

a 256 character display so that the name, difficulty, etc. could all be displayed on the thing instead of the pathetically limited number of characters currently available

OK that's a slight exaggeration, but yes: I want more characters too.

automatic charging of rechargeable battery types when connected to the car power cord

I second that! I wonder why this is so hard to implement?

Good question, my PDA charges it's batteries when on car power just fine as does my phone, why not a GPSr?

On second though, maybe it's because your GPSr takes normal "over the counter" batteries and not a specific proprietary battery. The charger doesn't know what sort of battery you have in there, rechargable or not, and if it is rechargable, whether it's Li Ion, NiMH...

I would like to see a signal feature (that is optional on/off) so when hubby gets worried that I am lost or hanging off a steep corner somewhere (while out caching) he can see on the GPSr at home that I am actually driving on the freeway trying to make up time that I lost (while out caching).

Though I don't know for what range, don't the Garmin Rino GPS radio series already sort of do this?

I was thinking it would be neat to have an audible, or heads up, mode where the GPSr would beep to tell relative distance and direction to the waypoint. As you get closer it beeps faster, if you're off course, the pitch changes. If you were willing to wear stereo headphones, it could beep in one ear or the other, or both to indicate left, right, or ahead.

Wouldn't THAT freak out the muggles!

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep

beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Heh. :(

My newest toy.

I haven't sprung for the GPS Shell yet because I want make sure it will be possible to beam waypoints from my Palm to the phone. Other than that though, it has a digital compass, camera, flashlight and wireless Internet.

I understand I can also use it to make calls.....I haven't figured out that part yet, though.

Bret

My newest toy.

I haven't sprung for the GPS Shell yet because I want make sure it will be possible to beam waypoints from my Palm to the phone. Other than that though, it has a digital compass, camera, flashlight and wireless Internet.

I understand I can also use it to make calls.....I haven't figured out that part yet, though.

Bret

My new toy

The company I work for just ordered 9 of these for key employees (Me included)... I wonder if there's some GPS software I can install on it... Hmmmm...

Then I can use it to find my caches graphically, take pics while at the cache, then visit the GC website and log my finds and upload the pics. All from my cell...

Confuse-A-Cat Posted: Jan 25 2006, 11:07 PM

a coord entry screen that displays only the coords in large characters so's i can see 'em easily

At the least allowing you to put Latitude in one Data Field and Longitude in a different Data Field would be a big help.

And how could I forget this one.

It seems you can select from 100 different Datums and just as many Formats.

I want to be able to display a customized selection set of just the very few I actually use. All visible on just one screen!

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and when I come back several have touched upon most of the features I came up with. Here's what I was thinking:

• GPS with all of the present features including 3 axis electronic compass and autorouting.
  • 5 watt GMRS/FRS radio with weather.
  • Tri-mode cellphone
  • PDA-like functionality
  • Camera
  • The ability to communication natively with like units with whatever mode is available.
  • Voice prompts, commands, dictation, and recording.
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
  • Heart rate monitor.
  • Personal Locater Beacon.

In operation the unit would function in a way that you wear a bluetooth headset and it operates mainly through audio commands;

• Voice prompts you toward a selected cache.
  • User selected frequency of prompts including "left twenty seven degrees" or "warmer/colder" etc.
  • Voice commands to read description or hint.
  • Warning if passing not-selected waypoint.
  • Voice recognition/dictation of caches log for download later.
  • Voice recording for your thoughts of the cache or commentary.
  • Voice command for next nearest cache with autoroute and smart determination if you have to return to your vehicle.
  • Next nearest cache can be skipped, deleted, highlighted for later, or targeted.
  • Camera automatically stamped with location.
  • Set partner units to warn if you are too far away or stopped moving.
  • Can be set to prompt you to go faster or slower for aerobic benefit. Monitors fatigue. Prompts rest periods.
  • Weather forecasts with announce of imminent weather changes.
  • Understand how to project a set of coordinates transparently.
  • Will call home if stopped for a long(ish) period and you don't respond to prompts. Attempts to use cell phone first. If all else fails activates PLB.
  • Automatically detects and announces Wi-Fi connects. Can be set to connect to internet.
  • If connected to internet will connect to site to download activity to this point and based on rules you set with log caches you've dictated, upload track logs, etc. Downloads your latest cache updates.
  • Bluetooths directly to a large screen in your vehicle for autorouting and display of various data about the cache, your activity, or whatever. Of course, the screen can be taken with you for use inside or where ever.

I'm sure more functionality can be stuffed in to this. Nothing above is beyond the technology of today. Don't know the size of the unit, but it is simply hung on your belt most of the time anyway.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and when I come back several have touched upon most of the features I came up with. Here's what I was thinking:
  • GPS with all of the present features including 3 axis electronic compass and autorouting.
  • 5 watt GMRS/FRS radio with weather.
  • Tri-mode cellphone
  • PDA-like functionality
  • Camera
  • The ability to communication natively with like units with whatever mode is available.
  • Voice prompts, commands, dictation, and recording.
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
  • Heart rate monitor.
  • Personal Locater Beacon.

In operation the unit would function in a way that you wear a bluetooth headset and it operates mainly through audio commands;

• Voice prompts you toward a selected cache.
  • User selected frequency of prompts including "left twenty seven degrees" or "warmer/colder" etc.
  • Voice commands to read description or hint.
  • Warning if passing not-selected waypoint.
  • Voice recognition/dictation of caches log for download later.
  • Voice recording for your thoughts of the cache or commentary.
  • Voice command for next nearest cache with autoroute and smart determination if you have to return to your vehicle.
  • Next nearest cache can be skipped, deleted, highlighted for later, or targeted.
  • Camera automatically stamped with location.
  • Set partner units to warn if you are too far away or stopped moving.
  • Can be set to prompt you to go faster or slower for aerobic benefit. Monitors fatigue. Prompts rest periods.
  • Weather forecasts with announce of imminent weather changes.
  • Understand how to project a set of coordinates transparently.
  • Will call home if stopped for a long(ish) period and you don't respond to prompts. Attempts to use cell phone first. If all else fails activates PLB.
  • Automatically detects and announces Wi-Fi connects. Can be set to connect to internet.
  • If connected to internet will connect to site to download activity to this point and based on rules you set with log caches you've dictated, upload track logs, etc. Downloads your latest cache updates.
  • Bluetooths directly to a large screen in your vehicle for autorouting and display of various data about the cache, your activity, or whatever. Of course, the screen can be taken with you for use inside or where ever.

I'm sure more functionality can be stuffed in to this. Nothing above is beyond the technology of today. Don't know the size of the unit, but it is simply hung on your belt most of the time anyway.

Ooh, sign me up for one of those also!