~ I'm A Little Bit Angry ~

HerrK & Friends

There is a commercial geocoin online-store which is going to sell three different coins in two days.

I guess you know what I am talking about. :)

Now I have a problem, perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong!?

Only for example: Shipping for one coin to Germany is $7 USD,

but if I like to have one of each new coin (5 peaces with the LE versions)

I have to pay the shipping five times (5x $7).... $35 USD for 5 coins !!! :):)

I really like to have a shopping cart function like nielsenc's shop...as soon as possible!

This is one of the reasons why we kept a chunk of English coins aside for the UK and Europe. We knew about the shipping costs from the US to Europe, and took on the extra costs for shipping a batch to the UK ourselves.

If we had sent them all from here, then the folks in the US would have had to pay more for shipping.

I know what you mean about the shipping for individual coins. In the UK we set up a coin club for bulk buying so that we could save a bit of money on shipping. Perhaps you should set something up with some other German coin collecters, that way you could buy say 10 coins, then the extra shipping would be split between you all.

Tigger

Overseas postage can be a bit confusing.

I sent a couple of coins to Germany and it cost me about 7 bucks to ship them. Meanwhile my German trade partner packed their coins well but then stuck them in a super thin envelope and sent their coins to me. It cost them much less to ship and the coins make it here intact.

Go figure.

There is probably a way in the USA to do the same thing but it's not common knowledge.

I always use Global Priority Mail, the flat rate cardboard envelopes with a padded envelope stuck inside. $5.25 and it has a tracking number; can't be insured, but at least it can be tracked.

As for "that store," we're not a whole lot better off here in the states! $3.13 for one coin, times 5 different orders is $15.65, and they're shipped USPS first class!

Global flat rate mail envelope. 5.50 anywhere I believe. Nice carboard stock envelope. Wrap in one sheet of pretty red bubble wrap. That is what I would do!

Yes.

Today I sent another coin for trade to Germany, well replacement trade coin. It cost me $1.70 for 1.8 ounces. 1 Coin in one package.

Global Flat Rate is nice because you know the cost. Of course, there is also the customs forms you have to fill out. And no tracking makes it hard to know when your package arrives.

I have been sending all my overseas packages Air Letter Post at the cost of $2.55 for 2 coins to Germany, and $1.15 for 2 coins to Canada.

For those that have gotten coins from me you know how I pack them and I pack them the same for all out of country mailing. I use an inner bubble mailer approximately 3x5 made from reused mailers. I put a lable on the inner package and then put it in a new 6x9 mailer with another lable. Even with this size of a package it doesn't cost more

I too do not know why every one else is charging so much more when there is a cheap way to send them and as far as I know they have all made it. Yes it does cost a little more for coins going to europe but no more than $1 per coin and for Canadian orders I even stop charging extra.

Hopefully this will help other out there to understand the real cost of shipping to europe.

There is a commercial geocoin online-store which is going to sell three different coins in two days.

I guess you know what I am talking about. :)

Now I have a problem, perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong!?

Only for example: Shipping for one coin to Germany is $7 USD,

but if I like to have one of each new coin (5 peaces with the LE versions)

I have to pay the shipping five times (5x $7).... $35 USD for 5 coins !!! :):)

I really like to have a shopping cart function like nielsenc's shop...as soon as possible!

Shipping for one coin to the US is $3.10. We will get 3 coins, so $9.30. WTF??

:D

We agree that a shopping cart IS needed!

I know what you mean and I have my coin for sale on that site. Maybe if enough people email the store they will consider putting in a shopping cart.

In the meantime, the best thing to do to cut down shipping fees for non-USA orders is to try to organize and make one order for each coin rather than multiple single orders of coins.

This is why I've decided to ask those that are ordering the Anthus coin in bulk (more than 10 coins) to contact me prior to the sale.

Shipping for one coin to the US is $3.10.  We will get 3 coins, so $9.30.  WTF??

:mad:

We agree that a shopping cart IS needed!

If you are getting 3 of the same exact coins then you will pay the $2 per order fee only once. I'm not sure if the actual shipping part stays at $1.10. You see the S&H is $2 per order for a Handling fee and $1.50 for a Shipping fee.

I emailed the coin store owner a few days ago and made a suggestion that he split up the S&H part so that the "Shipping" line was separate from the "Handling" line. He said he would consider it for the next site upgrade. Maybe that would help clear up some of the confusion.

However, if you are ordering different coins then you will pay the $2 for handling per coin order. There is no way to combine different coin orders for they have no shipping cart. :(

Why does the S&H on the site keep changing?  It is now $3.13, but we have seen it as $3.10 and $3.30 before that...

:mad:

I think it is tied to the weight of the coin, but I could be wrong. The Fraher coin that is out there now use to be listed at 3 oz with a slightly highter S&H fee. Now it's listed at 2 oz with the $3.13 S&H fee.

I'd suggest emailing them, however, I sent an email question to them about something else a few days ago and have yet to receive a reply :mad:

Thanks AG, we'll have to do that!

:)

However, if you are ordering different coins then you will pay the $2 for handling per coin order.  There is no way to combine different coin orders for they have no shipping cart.  :(

Yup, 3 different coins... :(

One note about a shopping cart.... as I understand it (or at least can work it out):

Let's say you order 3 coins:

- Mississippi

- Mississippi LE

- Anthus coin

For the two Mississippi coins I can see them doing the one $2 handling charge (which is $2 of the $3 shipping... each of the same coin after that isn't $3 each) But what if the Anthus coin is late by another week or two after the Mississippi (or the other way around), should the coins be held for you while you are waiting for the others to be finished? Meaning let's say the Anthus coin is done and ready to be shipped 2/15, but the Mississippi won't be ready until 3/1. You'd need to wait for the second coin to be ready before the first can ship. Does that make sense? I'd imagine the $1 or so for shipping is the actual shipping cost, while the $2 is for the mailer and time. If the delivery dates are staggered for different coins (which they most likely are), how would the shopping cart work?

As others said, the best bet may be to find who else is going to order the coin and work out a deal to go in on the sale together.

Imho, they are just using all this craze about geocoins to drag a lot of money out of peoples pockets ...

But this is capitalism - in Germany we have a saying: Dumb is the one who pays, not the one who charges.

It's good to discuss it though, maybe it helps ...

You'd need to wait for the second coin to be ready before the first can ship.  Does that make sense?  I'd imagine the $1 or so for shipping is the actual shipping cost, while the $2 is for the mailer and time.  If the delivery dates are staggered for different coins (which they most likely are), how would the shopping cart work?

That makes sense. I didn't think of it that way.

From what I understand the coins at this store go on pre-sale at some stage in the minting process. Depending on where that particular coin is in the minting process and any difficulties or options involved in the minting, the coins most likely won't be done at the same time.

Is there a way to have a shopping cart where you can leave the decision to ship all at once to save on shipping up to the buyer? Those that are impatient (like me) can pay the extra shipping fees where those that are patient can save on s&h (I could see those non USA orders wanting to do this since s&h is so expensive for them).

Perhaps people should take note of the shipping charges and have their coins made at a different site. Personally I feel they make enough on the coin, they don't need to make more money on shipping.

I believe that the shipping costs were an issue with the Ohio coin as well and a take it or leave it attitude was presented, so good luck.

Edited by LadeBear68
Global flat rate mail envelope.  5.50 anywhere I believe.  Nice carboard stock envelope.  Wrap in one sheet of pretty red bubble wrap.  That is what I would do!

Yes.

Today I sent another coin for trade to Germany, well replacement trade coin. It cost me $1.70 for 1.8 ounces. 1 Coin in one package.

Global Flat Rate is nice because you know the cost. Of course, there is also the customs forms you have to fill out. And no tracking makes it hard to know when your package arrives.

You don't need the customs froms for anything under 1 pound. I have sent several coins overseas in the last couple months and all have made it intact in good time w/out customs forms. I printed them the first couple times and took them to the post office with me and the first time they taped it on the next couple times they threw them in the trash and said I didn't need them. Coins got there just fine.

When I sent coins to Canada last weekend I used the addresses from the emails and pasted them to labels to print, then packaged in bubble mailers. The only change I had to make was to Write Canada on the very botteom line of the address (she said the country always has to be listed on the bottom line which makes sense to me). She then stamped them with a rubber stamp and put postage on them. I'm not sure if they have arrived in Canada yet or not.

One note about a shopping cart.... as I understand it (or at least can work it out):

Let's say you order 3 coins:

- Mississippi

- Mississippi LE

- Anthus coin

For the two Mississippi coins I can see them doing the one $2 handling charge (which is $2 of the $3 shipping... each of the same coin after that isn't $3 each) But what if the Anthus coin is late by another week or two after the Mississippi (or the other way around), should the coins be held for you while you are waiting for the others to be finished? Meaning let's say the Anthus coin is done and ready to be shipped 2/15, but the Mississippi won't be ready until 3/1. You'd need to wait for the second coin to be ready before the first can ship. Does that make sense? I'd imagine the $1 or so for shipping is the actual shipping cost, while the $2 is for the mailer and time. If the delivery dates are staggered for different coins (which they most likely are), how would the shopping cart work?

As others said, the best bet may be to find who else is going to order the coin and work out a deal to go in on the sale together.

This make sense that the coins may not all be available at the same time to ship.........but most likely both EGG coins will come in together and both Mississippi coins will come in together. Maybe they could add a second row to the sale box (with the radio buttons) to select how many standard in the top row and how many LE in the second row and combine the shipping for the same type of coin at least. I know there would still be 3 sales this weekend in that case but I'd rather pay shipping for 3 orders than 5 orders.

Global flat rate mail envelope.  5.50 anywhere I believe.  Nice carboard stock envelope.  Wrap in one sheet of pretty red bubble wrap.  That is what I would do!

Yes.

You don't need the customs froms for anything under 1 pound. I have sent several coins overseas in the last couple months and all have made it intact in good time w/out customs forms. I printed them the first couple times and took them to the post office with me and the first time they taped it on the next couple times they threw them in the trash and said I didn't need them. Coins got there just fine.

When I sent coins to Canada last weekend I used the addresses from the emails and pasted them to labels to print, then packaged in bubble mailers. The only change I had to make was to Write Canada on the very botteom line of the address (she said the country always has to be listed on the bottom line which makes sense to me). She then stamped them with a rubber stamp and put postage on them. I'm not sure if they have arrived in Canada yet or not.

You are correct. That is what is supposed to happen. But for some reason, the postal serivce at the post office we use *wants* them on all Global Priority mail. Even the ones under 1lb.

nielsenc

I know that I probably am in the minority here but I don't think that a $2 handling fee per order is outrageous. The mailers do cost something and there is time involved. All other commercial sites I have used for other shopping ie books etc have a cost that is higher than just the postage so I know a handling fee is involved there too. What makes a geocoin store any different than any other online store? And the particular store in this thread isn't the only geocoin store to charge a handling fee. That's my $.02 folks

I know that I probably am in the minority here but I don't think that a $2 handling fee per order is outrageous. The mailers do cost something and there is time involved. All other commercial sites I have used for other shopping ie books etc have a cost that is higher than just the postage so I know a handling fee is involved there too. What makes a geocoin store any different than any other online store? And the particular store in this thread isn't the only geocoin store to charge a handling fee. That's my $.02 folks

You are general right and nobody has said this is wrong.

It's logical that every commercial shop must make profit.

But the different between this commercial geocoin shop and others,

our problem and my personal anger is the kind like it makes! :(

$35 USD for 5 different coins to Europe

or $15,65 USD for national US shipping is too much!!!

I can only say again: I really like to have a shopping cart function like nielsenc's shop...as soon as possible!

This is not the place to bash other coin manufacturers. If anyone has a problem with a coin manufacturer, please send them an email, open up a line of communication with them and let it be known that if you place one order, you expect one shipping charge. The best way to let someone know you are not happy with the products and service is to not order it. Plain and simple. Let's keep constructive ideas going in here.

I have sent 3 or 4 bubble-pack mailers with coins to Europe (Germany, Luxembourg, etc.) On average, the cost of postage was $3.50 to $4.25 Cdn. The mailers all made it there within 7 days.

Yes! The canadian post offices seem to be much faster then the ones from US since... for there way to Luxembourg it took 1 week from Canada and 5 weeks from the US!

Ben

Yeah, but what are you doing if you're not getting emails answered?

I may have missed it but I have not seen an email from you or AtlantaGal? You might try our forums where your questions may have already been answered. Post or PM me there. Another idea is to read all of the information openly available at our site where everything we do is explained and nothing is hidden.

Some of the concens expressed have merit and are being addressed but we cannot present a response here without going into a commercial discussion. With respect to Groundspeak's wishes to keep these forums commecial free we have no intention of engaging this dialog here. Especially when the conversation is peppered by a few who have their own agendas and could care less about the truth.

I may have missed it but I have not seen an email from you or AtlantaGal? You might try our forums where your questions may have already been answered. Post or PM me there.

I sent an email to info@geocoinclub.com on Sunday or Monday. Don't need the answer anymore. I simply created another account to correct the problem I was having, lol.